“Enjoyed our stay”

Grand Hyatt Washington
Ranked #70 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed October 12, 2005

Just spent three nights at the Grand Hyatt and had a very enjoyable stay. We booked a Regency Club room and stayed on the 8th floor. Our room was very nicely decorated with a very comfortable king bed and two chairs. The bathroom had granite counters and a tub with a slanted back and sufficient depth to enjoy soaking after a long day of sightseeing.

The Regency Club Lounge provided a nice breakfast, afternoon snacks, evening hors d'ouvres and nighttime cookies and drinks. Everything we had there was well presented and tasted excellent.

The hotel appears to have utilized feng shui principles and incorporated all of the elements into their rooms and public spaces.

We took advantage of the Metro and were able to go directly from Reagan National to the hotel lobby without going outside. Very convenient!

Would definintely go back again. Hated to leave.

• Stayed: October 2005, traveled on business
1  Thank GammaSue

A TripAdvisor Member
Houston, TX
Reviewed September 17, 2005

The rooms are small, dumpy and not anything near what I expected out of a 5 star hotel. Frankly I would have been dissapointed if this was a 3 star hotel, and this was after an automatic upgrade to the Regency Club floor.

• Stayed: September 2005, traveled on business
Reviewed August 25, 2005

Overall... I would rather stay at a business-class place that is less grand, but still clean and nice. I paid about $160/night plus tax. I can get internet, free breakfast, and free workout facilities for much less in a nice business-class place elsewhere. The only thing that helps the Grand Hyatt for me is the location - but, with Metro available at many other locations, the Hyatt probably isn't worth it for me...

The good:
The foyer is very grand, very nice, very big!
Location is convenient.
Access to the metro is convenient.
The staff is very friendly.
The room was large enough and decorated nicely.
Bed was comfortable.
Shower was comfortable.
The room was clean.

The average:
Lighting in the room was dim (to conserve energy is good, but the option to have bright light should still be available).
Lighting in the bathroom, especially the shower, was dim.
Adjoining room door, can be good if family staying...

The bad:
Noise entered the room from the neighboring room (especially through the adjoining door, and the bathroom), the hallway, and traffic noise (I was on the 4th floor).
Fitness center and pool had an extra charge ($14/day).
In-room internet access had an extra charge ($3.95/hr, or about $10/day).
Business center prices were outrageous (MUCH higher than in-room, didn't make a note of the exact prices, though).
Food at restaurants and room service were extra-pricey for hotels/DC area.
Food at sports bar in hotel was mediocre in quality.

The nitpicky:
The TV had a wide array of channels for a hotel (about 40), but none of them were the TV-guide channel - couldn't know what was going to be on...
There is construction in the area.
DC has many homeless/vagrant persons between the Hyatt and any location you are walking to - this is a problem through-out, not just the Hyatt...

• Stayed: August 2005, traveled on business
8  Thank TimIL
Reviewed July 30, 2005

Arrived at the Grand Hyatt, Sunday, July 24th much earlier than we anticipated. We expected to check our bags and come back later to get in the room. We were pleasantly surprised when we were able to check in before 11:00 a.m. Check-in was easy and our room was on the 11th floor. The room was exceptionally clean and spacious. The hotel is very convenient to the Metro. Most of the staff we encountered were very helpful. The only inconvenience we encountered was with housekeeping. We had four people in our room and the room was set with three sets of towels. No problem, we just called for another set. We had to call every single night we were there! They never put more than three sets of towels in the room. We had a great deal from Priceline and would be more than happy staying here again.

• Stayed: July 2005
3  Thank Mstallwo1
A TripAdvisor Member
Providence, RI
Reviewed July 18, 2005

I flew into Washington, DC at 7:30am for a quick business trip. Took a cab right over to the Grand Hyatt Washington Center on H Street and was able to check in at this time due to my phone call ahead of time on Friday asking for an early check in. Check in was perfect, staff was friendly and helpful making it a smooth process. When I got up to my room the first thing I noticed was that my room was COLD, the thermostat was set at 52 degrees (didn't know they could be set that low and it was very uncomfortable and not to mention a waste of energy too). Once I got that figured out I headed to the shower so I could get ready for my breakfast meeting. The bathroom was clean and a good size, but the shower was not any fun, I had a choice of either cold or hot water. Couldn't seem to find anything in the middle for the whole stay, it was either I take a cold shower or a scalding hot one. Now I had some time to check email so I went to set up my laptop and looked for instructions on how to get my self hooked up to the internet, nothing to be found although I read somewhere it was listed with the phone and it wasn't! Now at night when I was exhausted and ready to go to bed I found out how uncomfortable the beds are. It was so soft that I could feel the springs and every time I moved it felt like an old water bed with everything else around me moving too. The pillows (all 8 that I had) were so uncomfortable and flattened out as soon as you touched it. So needless to say I did not sleep well at all. These things listed above are some of the MOST important parts of staying at a hotel while traveling and for the price I was being charged I would not stay at that property again.

One last detail, I checked my bag with the Bell Hop so I didn't have to carry it with me all day, they gave me a claim ticket to get my bag back. When I returned a few hours later to get my bag I had to wait for someone to show up and then it took them forever to come back with my bag. When the staff member came back without my bag he asked when I dropped it off and then to find that it was in the lobby with many other bags unattended!!!!!!!!!!!! I was not happy about that either that my bag was left out like that and unattended!

They need to make some hard core changes before they would ever see me again and it just goes to prove that price and brand don't always give the best stay you could get!

8  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 5, 2005

I live in DC but stayed here for one night to escape my housemates when my boyfriend was in town, and everything was impeccable. Both the service and room were excellent. We stayed at the club level which was definitely worth it, there's a cozy little lounge with refreshments, and our floor was very quiet. The room was on the small size but was comfortable for two people and was wonderfully decorated, the desk had an aeron chair and the bed was very comfortable. The bathroom was also very tastefully done and everything was clean and bright. Definitely recommended!

3  Thank starhawk
Reviewed June 12, 2005

Yes the location is great and Metro Center is probably one of the most convenient locations on the entire Metro. When we arrived after an exhasting day of flying, I was disappointed to find the UP escalator from the Metro to the hotel to be out of order. The only other option was to exit onto the street and drag our suitcases around with us. However, we chose to drag them one by one, kerplunk kerplunk up the brolen escalator.

Checkin was rather chaotic and the checkin clerk took 3 phone calls while I was standing in front of him attempting to checkin. We payed extra for the Concierge Floor with snacks and drinks. When we finally made it to our room and visited the free Lounge, I was told that mixed drinks were extra and that I could have tea or water free or charge. I paid 75$ extra for tea and water??? I don't think so. The lady at the counter didn't bother to tell me that softdrinks were free, and I would not have known but another customer came to the counter while I was there and requested a coke. There were supposed to be snack foods there also...all that I was shown was a plate full of cookies. I think I will not be paying to upgrade next time...heck the Embassy Suites at Chevy Chase Pavilion gives you all of this in addition to mixed drinks and there is also a metro in the basement there.

Went out to dinner instead of eating the meager snacks offered by this "illustrious" hotel. When we came back and went to bed, the people in the adjoining room to us (yes this podunk 5 star hotel still has adjoining rooms) had decided to have a party with what sounded like 20 or 30 people in their room. The roar of the crowd was unbelievable. I called the front desk 3 times to complain. Every time the response was the same " No Problem Mr. Doe". Well obviously it was a problem because nothing was ever done. Finally at 11:45 pm on my 3rd call I told them they were either going to fix the problem or find me a new hotel! After that security was called to the room and the party adjourned.

The next morning's breakfast in the private lounge was good, but still not worth the cost to upgrade.

Also when I made the reservation about a month in advance, I specifically asked if the pool was up and running..."No Problem" the pool was definitely up and going. When I arrived at checkin - guess what - the pool was closed down for a month for maintenance.

Location and breakfast are 2 good points of this hotel. But don't be fooled by the 5-star facade. This hotel is really a 3-star at best. And Embassy Suites at Chevy Place has them beat by a mile!

• Stayed: June 2005