“Not a way to get me back”

Grand Hyatt Washington
Ranked #72 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed April 3, 2009

We were given a free night by Hyatt. It was their way to try to get us to increase our business. We had previously stayed there (see Feb 2007) and loved this hotel At that time, we were diamond members and were in a gorgeous room on the regency floor. We recommended it to family and friends. This time, we were only platinium and were given a dingy room with worn furnishings, stained towels, no nightstands or lamps next to the bed, old rounded screen tv, dirty cups, etc. We were also told that valet parking was not available. Nobody was available to help us with our luggage. We parked in a garage down the street and had to drag our bags ourselves. When I requested room coffee, it arrived several hours later. But the mugs were so dirty that I couldn't use it. The room was very noisy. There was an adjoining room which had the tv on late and had a 6am wakeup call. So much for sleeping....we were awakened at 6 also. When we checked out, I told the desk person about our experiences. They didn't seem to care. I also emailed Hyatt just to let them know how poor the hotel had been...and didn't get any response.When I came home and mentioned how different this stay was from the 2007 stay, I was told by a family memeber who had stayed there on my recommendation that they really didn't think it was a very good hotel. Hyatt wants our business back. This is not the way to get it.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple

Reviewed March 4, 2009

We can't wait to go back. Our family of four enjoyed our hotel even more than the rest of DC- we stayed extra nights because we enjoyed it so much! Good northern location near the White House, near lots of good restaurants and the tour companies. Great service from the hotel staff, from cleaning to security to front desk to wait staff to concierge. I have been to DC many times, but this is now my favorite DC hotel!

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank YaleDad
Reviewed March 3, 2009

We stayed 3 nights and walked everywhere in Washington. It is a good location for sightseeing. Approximate walking times are as follows:
White House - 15 mins
Monument - 30 mins
Lincoln - 45 mins
Jefferson - 55 mins
Capitol Visitors Centre - 30 mins
Our room was on the 10th floor facing outwards. Perfectly satisfactory, but not much view. Total discounted room cost for the 3 nights (Thurs, Fri and Sat) was $488 after tax.
We ate twice at the hotel's "Cure" restaurant at approximately $80 per night (2 main courses and a bottle of wine). The restaurant has a nice ambiance and you can see everything that is going on in the large atrium,
Metro transfers from Reagan airport were very cheap and easy. At Reagan there is a covered walkway straigt to the platform, there are no interchanges, and you get off at "Metro Centre" station and come up an escalator right into the hotel atrium.
We found the reception desk staff quick and businesslike. Perhaps we caught them at quiet times.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Sandbanker
Reviewed February 28, 2009

MY ADVISE - IF YOU WANT TO STAY DOWNTOWN, DO NOT STAY AT THE WASHINGTON DC GRAND HYATT. TRY THE MARRIOTT 2 BLOCKS AWAY.. The Mariott Renaissance was much more welcoming and they were able to accommodate us at eleventh hour. Their staff was extremely helpful in making our stay in Washington pleasurable after a disastrous start for a Valentine weekend.

GRAND HYATT’S PROBLEMS:
1) Arrived on 2/14/09 (Valentine weekend) at 8PM AND HYATT GAVE AWAY MY ROOM. My confirmation specifically stated 2 double beds and a late check in (I also called the hotel to confirmed my late check in while on my drive) but when I arrive, the Grand Hyatt gave away my double bed room and offered me in a conference room with a sofa bed – NO BED!!! I was forced to look for another hotel at 8PM AT NIGHT W/ A SMALL CHILD IN THE CAR. THANK GOD A MARRIOTT WAS ABOUT 2 BLOCKS AWAY.

2) The room offered was a MINI CONFERCE ROOM NOT A HOTEL ROOM. IT ONLY HAD A SOFA BED WHICH THEY EXPECT A FAMILY TO SLEEP ON. I had lots of chairs (10) and a long conf. table should I need to have a meeting with my family. I am appalled that the Grand Hyatt considers this a hotel room for their guests. I travel extensively for business conferences and have never had a room available for me. Most of the time, I arrive in the evening for meetings the next day and have always had a room guaranteed for me.

3) I had called Hyatt Customer Service (800 323 7249) to report this incident when I came back from vacation. The Grand Hyatt manager called me to apologize and asked me to come back to experience the “Hyatt treatment”. He offered 2 nights in a Suite and some “extras”. I told him I needed to think about this since I was still furious and wasn’t sure if our family wanted to go back to this hotel. When I called him a week later, he changed his offer and it was now 1 night. WHAT TYPE OF HOTEL IS THIS THAT DO NOT HONOR RESERVATION AND CANNOT KEEP COMMITMENTS TO THEIR GUESTS???? I called the Hyatt Customer Service AGAIN who finally reimbursed me for the 1 night stay at the Mariott. This is totally outrageous because I had to pay for Hyatt’s incompetence.

Had I known that the Grand Hyatt does not guarantee their room reservation, I would never have booked a room here. I had booked for the “Winter Package” and ended up spending more than double at the Marriott Renaissance. I have also filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau on this incident.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank 3family_traveller
Reviewed February 26, 2009

This Hyatt property has a good location, in the same competitive set as the Embassy Suites-Convention Center, the Rennaissance, and the Monaco -- near the Convention Center, a few blocks over from the Verizon Center, and up 7-8 streets from the Mall.

In general, seems to be a well-run Hyatt, with the amenities one would expect. Staff seems to be trained in today's need to be courteous and friendly to guests.

From my stay recently I would classify it as more appealing as a convention hotel of interest to infrequent visitors to DC who might be dazzled by the interior lobby and water, and less appealing to straightforward or serious business travelers.

One issue is the attempt by management to extract extra revenue. Particularly off-putting is the health club, for which a $10 charge is made for guests. (The club appears to be more of a separate facility which is part of the next office building over, which may help explain the charge, but as a guest, I find it a negative -- and highly unusual. I rarely find a charge for the health club, even in other Hyatt properties in DC). Plus, Internet use is particularly outrageous at $14.00 a day.

There are of course many, many hotels of similar price point and amenities in DC. This one is fine, but not distinquished in a way that would produce a "wow!"..

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank newjerseycommentator
Reviewed February 26, 2009

My wife and I stayed at the Grand Hyatt for a romantic weekend. I picked the Grand Hyatt since it was the highest level Hyatt available in the DC area where I could use my Hyatt hotel points for a free night. Here's the pro/con list from our stay:

Pro:
Great location with museums and restaurants (e.g., Ruth's Chris, McCormick & Schmick) within a short walking distance. The Spy Museum (worth the visit) was also within walking distance.
Lobby was very cool and impressive with the water feature
Hotel front desk staff was exceptional
Starbucks in the hotel lobby
Metro station in the building
Parking $20/day below the hotel
Onsite restaurant & bar which we did not use

Cons:
Walls are not sound proof so you could hear people in the hallway and adjacent rooms
The beds have a pillowtop with some sort of "comfort top" that was not comfortable and my wife complained that it was "hot" and she did not sleep very well
Rooms were not big for the full service, high priced hotel that this one is.

Overall, it is an average hotel if you are paying $100 or less and not a choice if you are paying $200-300 per night. We got it for free using Hyatt points but I saw via the internet you could get weekend rooms for $99/night. I still would not stay here again because of the bed and lack of solid walls to mitigate outside noise.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank HOaKIE
Reviewed February 17, 2009

Very friendly staff. nice rooms - be aware half the rooms face inside of the hotel lobby, so you have to close your curtains at all times for privacy. It is not a good hotel if you have children. The pool isn't part of the hotel (fitness club next door to hotel, but no need to go outside), so they closed on 8pm on Saturday, and 6 pm on Sunday. Not much to do when you come back from siteseeing. Also, very small pool - don't get fooled by the virtual tour or the picture. When I called to find out what I can do with the kids at 6pm on Sunday, the operator said that "this is a Convention Hotel", so no entertainment. They suggested the arcade at ESPN center. My daughter gave it 2 star for good buffet, and nice refrig full of goodies. In short, good hotel for business people, and not so convenient for kids. Close enough to museums and White House so you can walk there. By the way, very poor room service. I walked over 2 blocks and picked up Pizza.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled with family