“Conveniently located hotel with excellent hospitality”

Grand Hyatt Washington
Ranked #73 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Conveniently located hotel with excellent hospitality”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Grand Hyatt's hospitality has always been something I look forward to during my travels. The hotel was however very busy during my period of stay hence I didn't have too many choices when it comes to rooms, so it was one of the smallest I had been. It had all the comfort despite it being an old hotel. Breakfast was good, loved the smoothies!

The convenient location next to Chinatown and within walking distance with many state departments made it easy for me to go to my meetings. Will definitely come back.

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank SAAzli

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (762)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed September 3, 2013

We arrived mid afternoon at the Hyatt Washington and were able to get into our room straight away.and it was very nice. Relaxing by taking off my shoes, I felt a strange sensation, the floor was wet, not just near the bed but all around! I rang the desk - no one, then I went down to the concierge - no one, then finally I buttonholed a guy with a Hyatt badge and soon we were being moved to another room. It seems the ducting from the roof was leaking rain from days back.
After that it was great, very reminiscent of the Hyatt in Waikiki Beach as if built by the same people. And the club facility was basic to say the least - they had given us a reduced rate for our club suite and we found club to be set up in one room serving very basic food almost frugal. Although they tried, there were many disappointed folk who seemed speechless at the frugality of what was provided.

Think we struck a bad patch. Every one was very friendly - they had no choice than to just smile in embarassment.

Room Tip: get a room with a dry floor!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank robertmountjoyrowe
New York
Reviewed September 2, 2013

Great location (few blocks from the Mall, and great restaurants), has a nice lobby with a Starbucks (always a plus). We stayed in a corner room on the 9th floor. Decent view. Room was clean and quiet. The staff were excellent. The hotel itself seemed modernized, but worn. The carpets were threadbare, and the bathroom was very small, but it was clean. Had nice entertainment center, fridge, safe, iPod station, etc. It was a good stay though, and I'd recommend it.

Room Tip: Corner rooms had lots of windows for good view!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Megan O
New York City, New York
Reviewed September 2, 2013

Another Trip For me to DC and The Grand Hyatt is always my first choice and as always it was a pleasurable stay. I checked in and was greeted by Jeff at the desk who helped with me with my reservations and I don't think words can express how nice Jeff was, He was very helpful and super friendly and made sure I had a great stay.
My only dissapointment was to see that the price of the breakfast Buffet was raised to $24 since my last visit, To me this was a downer since it is one of my favorite breakfast buffet's to eat at But I still ate there but instead of 3 days I only went once, But as usuall the quality of the food was still amazing and so were the staff they very friendly and accomodating .
Thanks again will be back next year for my annual trip to DC..

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank METSROADTRIPS
Reviewed August 29, 2013

My first stay in this property. I actually thought I had booked at a hotel I stayed at earlier this year (Park Hyatt). I understand it was height of summer tourist season for DC, but the atrium felt like a Disney resort. Very large, very commercial. The Check in staff was great. No problems with anyone I interacted with. The elevators are painfully slow to land at the floor. The hallway on my floor was filthy. It was not vacuumed during my 3 night stay – or at least the crumbs for broken crackers remained in front of my door the entire time for other reasons.

Dinner at the main restaurant was pricey, but the food was good – worth the value.
Good location, but not up to what I expect from a Grand Hyatt.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Mathum M
Hoopeston, Illinois
Reviewed August 28, 2013

This has many excellent qualities , but also a few deficiencies. On the good side, the hotel is clean and comfortable. The rooms are nice and the beds are very comfortable. It is in a location convenient to many restaurants and tourist sites, as well, as having inside access to a Metro Station. There are many food and drink establishments within the hotel itself. The staff are very friendly and mostly helpful. The concierge offered me good advice on two occasions. On the downside, the hotel is very expensive(though most in the area are) and it was disappointing to see that the WIFI and fitness center were not included in the price. Another deficiency is that the stairs on the end of the building opposite the elevator did not go all the way down to the lobby. One of our group had a small incident on check-in that would have probably been handled better by the staff if they had been trained to recognize that someone using a debit card may have a hold placed on their funds by their bank if they didn't call them to notify them they would be traveling. Still I would recommend this hotel if you can afford it.

Room Tip: Try to get a room number that ends in the teens or lower or in the eighties or higher and you will b...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Brian Lee P
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed August 28, 2013

This is by far the WORST Grand Hyatt hotel i have ever stayed...

Checked into this hotel during the weekend trip with my family on Aug-2. The hotel is extremely busy and we were allocared into a room on the 3rd floor directly facing the lobby. There were events and functions going on that weekend and the lobby was full of crowds checking-in. There were a group of people chatting and chanting directly below my room at mid-night and the window insulation is such poor that i can literally hear their conversation. Tried to called the duty-manager, Danielle. She is very polite and apologised but also admitted that they (security) has been trying their best to control the crowd but it was just difficult. My family was woken several time during the nights and didnt have a restful sleep at all which had ruined our short trip to this beautiful city.

The hotel offered us a room change and agreed to compensate for the inconvenience but worst of all, its just promise and nothing had happened since then. Tried to contact the hotel and write to Hyatt customer feedback and hear nothing...

Not deserved a 5-star rating if they can not even understand the simplest purpose of any hotel, which is to provide their guest a good night sleep!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Grand Hyatt Washington, responded to this review, September 3, 2013
Thank you for taking time to provide us with your candid feedback. I apologize the noise disrupted your recent stay. We strive to ensure our guests have a positive experience and I am extremely disappointed that this was not the case for your stay. I am pleased we were able to reach out to your to further understand your experience and offer our assistance. Our guest’s feedback is very important to us. I look forward to having the opportunity to welcome you back to Grand Hyatt Washington in the future.

Brock S. – A Guest Relations Associate