“Grand Enough”

Grand Hyatt Washington
Ranked #71 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed July 2, 2013

When you employ the word grand in the description of your hotel, you might be asking for criticism. That is a modifier hard to live up to. This Hyatt seems to do a fairly good job living up to its name. I was in DC for a conference hosted there. Here is what I found:
1. Staff is very accommodating
2. Rooms are pleasant, clean, and comfortable
3. Response is excellent when you ask for something you need. I.e. I would like some more decaf coffee packs
4. Hotel,is connected to metro which is very handy
5. Good food options are in the area.
6. One negative is that the Starbucks closes at 6' so don't plan to have an evening cup with friends
7. I tried to use their in house system for printing my boarding pass and none of the touch screens were working.
8. Breakfast in their one restaurant is pricey. There is a deli option and Starbucks.

I was pleased.

Room Tip: I would as for atrium room.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Grand Hyatt Washington

Reviewed July 2, 2013

We spent 5 days at the Grand Hyatt in June. The hotel is easily accessible from Reagan National. You take the Blue Line exiting at Metro center. Following the signs to 11th street we
walked into the hotel lobby. The rooms were fine. All the amenities you would expect. Our only problem was with some noisy young people in the room adjacent to ours. It seemed to be a group party room. At 1am I called the operator and security arrived quickly. I don't believe the soundproofing between the rooms was adequate perhaps because they adjoined. There is a charge for wifi except in an area where computers allow you to access and print out your airline boarding pass.

Room Tip: Try to get a room that looks down on the inner court.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank abiah3290
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Grand Hyatt Washington, responded to this reviewResponded July 3, 2013

Thank you for taking time to provide feedback on your recent stay. I am delighted that you found our location to be so conveniently located to both the airport and to local attractions. It is wonderful to hear that you enjoyed your room and the amenities. I am glad to hear that security was able to assist you with the noise issue. I hope that we can welcome you back to Hyatt in the future.

Reviewed July 1, 2013

Loved this hotel... though I did tell them we would be checking in late, I was surprised when they told us at 9p that our room wasn't ready yet, however, the girl at the front desk could not have been any more nicer or sorrier and told us to go to their restaurant for dinner and order whatever we'd like and they'd pay for it.... which we were thrilled with since we hadn't eaten dinner yet! Then our waiter felt badly as well, so they comped drinks for us! Our room was ready by 10 and it was quite nice! Hotel is beautiful and right in the heart of everything. Breakfast buffet was expensive ($24/person) but it was top notch and you eat surrounded by water in the lower level so it was also a nice setting. It is expensive to park ($45/24 hours) but they do prorate it so they will only charge you for how ever many hours you are actually parked in there. We managed to park mostly on the street at meters and only had to pay $24 total at parking garage for 2 nights.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family

It is wonderful to hear that you enjoyed your stay so much. I am glad you found your room to be so beautiful and that the hotel’s location was convenient for you. I am delighted that you found the breakfast to be top notch and also enjoyed the setting. Thank you for taking time to provide your feedback and I hope that we can welcome you back to our hotel again on your next trip to DC.

Reviewed July 1, 2013

The "Grand" entrance way is The rooms are wonderful. The beds are comfortable. Metro lines are readily available by walking through the doors. So many shops available right in the lobby, along with places to eat.

Room Tip: Rooms on the outside of the building will afford you an opportunity to view the city from above.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for going out of your way to provide feedback on your recent stay. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your room and found the bed to be so comfortable. We often hear enthusiastic feedback from guests regarding how conveniently located we are to the Metro station. I am glad that you also found this to be a perk while staying with us. I am delighted that you were able to take advantage of the numerous shops and restaurants located within our hotel. I hope we can welcome you back to our hotel again in the future.

Reviewed June 30, 2013

I'd originally booked this hotel because it seemed centrally located to all of the tourist attractions we wanted to see on our family vacation. What I learned after I checked in, is that the hotel is centrally located to EVERYTHING. There's even a direct walkway to the metro station under the hotel.

The rooms look like they were recently remodeled, and truly elegant. The staff went out of their way to handle our requests, and the in hotel dining was very good. Venturing outside the hotel, there are a ton more dining options on F street one block down.

I will definitely choose this hotel again when visting DC.

2  Thank Steve S
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Grand Hyatt Washington, responded to this reviewResponded July 1, 2013

Hello Steve S,

I appreciate you taking the opportunity to share comments about your recent stay with us. Your comments about our recently renovated guestrooms & public areas are greatly appreciated. One of the major factors of guests choosing our hotel is the great location. Being not only close to the Smithsonian along with the metro stop below our hotel, makes it convenient for you to see what the city has to offer. It would be our pleasure to welcome you back on your next visit to D.C.

Safe travels,

Nick B. - Guest Relations Associate

Reviewed June 30, 2013

Upon entering the hotel, you are struck with how beautiful it is. It is very open and inviting. There is plenty of space to regroup and meet with your companions. The hotel itself is conveniently located a few blocks off the mall and right next to Metro Center metro. It's also a short, do-able walk from Gallery Place/Chinatown metro stop.

We booked our rooms through hotels.com and got a great deal, so this added to the appeal-- getting a fancy hotel at reasonable rates. The night before we arrived, we called the hotel to confirm our reservations and bed choices. Everything was confirmed. When we arrived the next day, the girl who checked us in informed us that we did not have a reservation. She only found one of our two rooms. She seemed a little short and frustrated with us. In the end it all worked out and was fine, it was just a little disappointing and frustrating that our first experience entering the hotel was not positive. Because we had two rooms, she said she gave us two rooms near each other. While the rooms were on the same floor, they were on the opposite sides of the hotel. It's fine if they weren't close to each other, just don't tell us they are if they aren't. A positive with the service though, is that we were able to check in over 3 hours early. We were figuring on just checking our bags, but we were able to check in. This was a nice bonus.

The rooms themselves were very comfortable and clean. We had a desk, a refrigerator and other complimentary amenities. The decor of the room was very relaxing and fresh. The beds and pillows very comfortable. The bathroom was good size and the shower nice. I'm quite tall and showers don't always accommodate my height, but this one was good. Overall, we were very pleased with the room. Our only complaint is that the AC didn't seem to be working properly. It cooled to the temperature that was set, but it pulsated on and off every 20 seconds or so. It sounded like it was set on an "economy setting" or something, but we looked at the thermostat but couldn't figure it out. We only discovered it when we returned to the room a little before midnight, so we didn't call the front desk as it was so late and we were quite exhausted. I had a sound machine with me, so that helped even out the uneven sound, and it didn't really disrupt our sleep. Without a sound machine, I fear it would have been rather disruptive to a sound sleep.

Overall though, we had a very pleasant stay and are looking forward to staying at the Grand Hyatt again.

Room Tip: Some other reviews mentioned the noise of construction. Ask for an "inside room". Inside r...
Reviewed June 30, 2013

The Grand Hyatt had great service. The staff was very helpful and willing to answer any questions we had. The Grand Hyatt is right in the middle of town and is only a few blocks away from the White House. The hotel is kept very clean. I would definitely recommend staying there.

Hello Matt B,

Thank you for going out of your way to share comments about your recent stay at our hotel. I appreciate your comments with regards to our helpful employees. Your recommendation is greatly appreciated. It will be our pleasure to have another opportunity to welcome you back on your next visit to the city.

Nick B. - Guest Relations Associate