“Disappointed”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Chicago, IL
“Disappointed”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

We stayed at this Hyatt over Memorial Day weekend. We were in town with family and would not normally pay this high of a price for a hotel but decided to "splurge". The hotel is very nice inside and the rooms were nice and clean. However, for a family of four, we found the beds were very small. They were doubles and the hotel does not have any queen beds. We could have gone over to the Fairfield and slept in queen beds for over $100 a night difference! The other disapointment was the pool. It is located in the building fitness center and the water was ice cold. My kids did not find it enjoyable due to the temperature and I heard many others complaining when they got in the water. We attended the Sunday brunch and found most of the food lukewarm at best. The omelet station was great but everything else that was supposed to be hot was barely hot at all. Lastly, we had two reservations because we were on a group rate for the 1st two nights and regular hotel rate for third night. I specifically asked at check-in if I needed to check back out and check back in on Sunday and was told no. We returned from a long day of siteseeing on Sunday and found our room keys no longer worked. We had to go back down to the lobby and were told they were expecting us to check-out that day! Normally, not a big deal but it was pretty much the last straw for us. Honestly, I rarely complain about anything but this hotel did not live up to my expectations given the price we paid for the room.

Room Tip: Don't stay here unless you are a couple getting a king bed.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank conniehar
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Grand Hyatt Washington, responded to this review, May 31, 2013
Dear conniehar,

Thank you for taking the time to share feedback about your recent stay at our Grand Hyatt Washington. I will pass your feedback to our Front Office Management, as normally, guests do need to reactivate their room key on a split reservation. As such, I apologize for the misinformation you received by our Front Desk associate.
Our pool is heated, and was unaware of other guests stating of the low temperature. Thank you for bringing this to our attention. I understand this was one of the reasons you chose our hotel for your children.
If you would like to discuss your situation with further detail, please let me know. I am happy to assist you.

Nick B. - Guest Relations Associate

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (751)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Campinas, SP
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2013 via mobile

The hotel is well located (although I would prefer the Dupont Circle in Washington if I were there for tourism). Not far from the Mall and the museums. The receptionist that received me was very nice and helping, although he could not prvoide the room at the time of arrival (8:30AM) he would take my cell phone to call when a room would be available.
The rooms are large and well furnished, standard Hyatt standards. You can have direct access to the Metro lines without leaving the building. Breakfast is very good, don't miss the great omelettes. Prices are a bit high, but so is all DC...

Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Boston, MA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel many times on business. It is located in a convenient area of the district and is an easy walk away from sights, shops, bars, and restaurants.

It is a large hotel, popular for conventions and meetings, and is built in a atrium style. All sleeping rooms have recently been renovated which was needed and the new color scheme is pleasant and contemporary. The rugs, bedspreads, draperies, and some furnishings have been replaced. The bathrooms however were hardly touched except for the shower curtains and a different line of amenities.

I was hoping the bathrooms would be reconfigured because I find them poorly designed but they are the same. Little things such as where the toilet paper roll and the towel racks are located are inconvenient. The toilet is low to the ground and looks like a toilet found in a high school bathroom, not one in an expensive hotel. I also find the towels to be thin and skimpy.

I have often encountered varying degrees of service issues at this hotel. My first stay was the most bizarre. While I was having breakfast in the Grand Cafe downstairs, housekeeping decided to service my room at 8am in the middle of a 3 night stay. I returned to find the housekeeper in my room and she tried to prevent me from entering. Despite being in a hurry to get to a business meeting in town, I eventually was able to enter. I asked her to leave while I got ready but she refused and I was forced to use the bathroom, etc, with her in the room which I thought was appalling and unprofessional.

On another visit, I found the previous guest's socks in the corner of the room. Yet another time, again returning from breakfast and on my way to work, the electronic key did not work. This has happened several times here, but this day's experience was the worst. Not wanting to waste more time by walking throughout the hotel and going downstairs to the front desk, I called and was assured that Security would arrive to help me. 10 minutes later, someone showed up to assist me. Rather than apologize for the inconvience, she proceeded to blame me for deactivating the key! I have traveled to hotels all over the world and never have I encountered such difficulty with a key system that deactivates so often and so randomly. Luckily as part of the renovation, the key system was upgraded and changed completely.

One bright spot is the buffet breakfast in the Grand Cafe. The food is wonderful, the assortment of fresh pastry, fruit, bread, hot dishes, and omelet station is huge, and the service is friendly. It is often crowded so sometimes there is a long wait for a table and it is a little pricey but worth it.

The onsite restaurant, Cure, is usually good, too, although the service is inconsistent.

Overall, this is a comfortable, clean, and convenient place to stay and the recent renovation is an improvement but it is usually overpriced and crowded and the service levels do not compensate for the premium price. I have paid rates ranging from $289 to $450 per night for a standard room in the last year. Guests must have status with the Hyatt Loyalty Program in order to use the fitness center and have internet access without paying an additional charge.

Room Tip: Join The Hyatt Gold Passport loyalty program. Ask for a room halfway down the hall from the elevato...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2013

I recently stayed here with a group of 7 and enjoyed this hotel. Our group needed something centrally located, close to the Metro(it's attached to the hotel) and not too expensive. This was a great choice!
We had a 4th floor outside view room close to the elevators. The view isn't much but was helpful to determine weather conditions and what people were wearing, i.e. short sleeves today! It's warm!
The beds were comfortable. The noise level low - maybe a few sirens. The shower water pressure could be better, but we know how that goes these days.
My only complaints would be the dim lighting, lack of outlets near mirrors and no free WiFi. The rooms were dimly lit even with most lights on. We usually had drapes open , but closed them in the evening and when getting ready to go out. There were no outlets near the large mirrors outside the bathroom (3 women were trying to get ready) Most outlets were in odd spots that didn't allow for blow drying , etc. when the bathroom was occupied.,
I did love the outlets and personal reading lights on the headboards. The outlets were perfect for recharging phones, laptops, etc. Lastly, we were disappointed that there was no free wifi. The hotel seemed to attract a large amount of business travelers and the Starbucks in the lobby which has free WiFi was always busy- every seat taken.
That being said, The Metro stop was in the lower level and we took it everywhere! Georgetown, The Capital , Arlington Cemetery, etc . So convenient!
Plus we were able to walk to Chinatown and other locations as it was just a short walk away.
I thought the location was great, the Metro was so convenient we saved taxi fare and the rooms were appointed nicely and comfortable. I would have no hesitation staying at or suggesting this hotel to of those who are traveling in the DC area.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Woodbridge, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2013

This place will make you feel special. It is walking distance to China Town and many other things. With the subway connection all in doors, getting to the Mall, or Union Station is a breeze. The rooms were clean and spacious. The lobby was so grand, it made me feel special even in shorts.

Room Tip: There were a few odd people hanging about in the lobby, so watch your back, your purse, and your roo...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Grand Hyatt Washington, responded to this review, May 28, 2013
Dear ChrisDCarlson,

Thank you for taking a moment to share feedback about your recent stay with us at our Grand Hyatt Washington. It is great to hear how well our convenient location worked for your travel needs. Being located directly above the metro station allows our guests to visit many of the popular sights of the area. It will be our pleasure to welcome you back on your next visit to the city!

Safe travels,

Nick B. - Guest Relations Associate
Point Pleasant, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2013

My husband and I decided to book a hotel in Washington that would be in the middle of the action. This hotel worked very well for us. Although you must walk a bit to get to the main areas (China Town, Penn Quarter, and The National Mall area) you are able to access all very easily and quickly. The hotel room was newly renovated which was very nice, nothing crazy. The hotel is very large since it seems to mainly be used for business purposes. We had a city view room which we preferred instead of looking into the atrium. The view wasn't the best but it is nice to have some city action to look at. The room we received actually had a slider which opened slightly which my husband and I really enjoyed. I do not think all rooms had the slider though. Our room was clean and the bed was comfortable. We would return to this hotel because of the location and price we paid. I guess we booked at a good rate because we didn't pay anything near the $400 people are speaking about. I think I agree if you pay $400/per night you may be able to find somewhere nicer.... One last thing they were able to accommodate an early check-in which worked out great for us!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Amy K
Dixiechick09
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2013

The Grand Hyatt is very beautiful and within walking distance of everything. If you don't want to walk the metro is attached to the hotel! Rooms were very nice, beds really comfortable. The staff was super friendly and efficient. Dion at the front desk was very helpful. We also had a great meal at The Cure one night, and Aster, our server, was extremely friendly and helpful. All in all I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking time to provide feedback on your recent stay. I am delighted to hear that you found our location so convenient, both for walking to nearby attractions and also for easy access to the Metro. It is always wonderful to hear that that our staff was helpful and efficient during your stay. I am glad that you were able to enjoy a meal at Cure and also at Aster. We will look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the future.

Abrea H - A Guest Relations Associate