“Great location”

Grand Hyatt Washington
Ranked #69 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed May 5, 2013

Hotel has been recently renovated and rooms are a good size and well decorated. Unfortunately I do have a couple of issues which should be raised.

Firstly the hotel does not supply any free internet access. I have previously used the business centres in US hotels before and they have always been free for paying guests. In addition when I arrived at the hotel at 5pm I was told my room was not ready and would have to wait an hour, which was a little disappointing.

That said the hotel is lovely and I couldn’t fault the layout with some great restaurants, Starbucks and a lively sports bar within the complex.

Plus an added bonus of a Metro station being located directly below the hotel, which meant you didn’t even have to go outside to get a train.

All in all a great stay and would definitely stay again should I return to Washington.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
Write a ReviewReviews (5,111)

Reviewed May 2, 2013

The rooms have just been renovated and are very stylish. The location is great. Its setup makes you spend a lot of time walking its long hallways, particularly if you get a room far from the elevators. If you are attending a convention, be prepared to venture to the entrails of the earth as the main conference rooms are underground. Breakfast is outstanding (if you can afford it). The lobby is a bid disfunctional and the "complimentary" internet in public areas does not work well, except underground in the meeting rooms. There is always something happening. It is at a crossroads between the White House and Capitol Hill so every major sight in DC is accessible. It is however quite expensive and you do not get a lot of extras as you would in some nearby properties which charge the same or slightly less.

Room Tip: Ask for something not too far from the elevator in a lower floor
Reviewed May 2, 2013

About what one would expect for a giant convention hotel. The decor is bland and uninspired, despite the fact we were told the hotel had been recently renovated. The first room we were given had no safe, apparently they forgot to install a safe in that room when they renovated the room, so they moved us to a different room with a safe. The first room had 15 hangers in the closet, we should have taken some with us since the second room only had 2 hangers. When I called housekeeping to request more hangers, I was told "Sorry sir, we are out of hangers." Clearly the training of staff needs improvement are a simple guest request should never be responded to in that manner. The bathroom was OK, despite having been renovated, the toilet was still the old flushometer style toilet. Apparently the Hotel did not want to spend the extra money to remove the old toilet and put in a modern style toilet. The towels and sheets were only average quality. One would expect better quality linen given the price we paid for the room which was quite high, despite being on a conference rate. There were no extra pillows in the closet, and only 3 on the bed for 2 people - who gets a second pillow? There were no bathrobes, no hairdryer and no make-up mirror for my wife, although there was a card in the room which we did not notice for 2 days that listed there items and others that were available on request. The day we checked in there must have been maintenance being performed in the hallway as there was blue duct tape all over the place; however, the duct tape disappeared within a day. Despite 6 or maybe 8 elevator, at times there was a very long wait for an elevator. Also, the elevator do not go down to the 3 below grade levels of meeting space so one had to take the elevator to the lobby level, walk across the lobby and take the escalators down to the meeting room level. The main bar in the lobby, Cure, was undersized and therefore very crowded during evening hours, and the service needs improvement. The cocktail prices were exorbitant. The banquet food was reasonably good given the fact that between 700 and 1000 people were being served.

Room Tip: Ask for a room near the elevators to avoid a long walk.
Reviewed April 30, 2013

I have had the fortune to stay in this hotel 4 times now over the last 3 or 4 years. Each time my stay has been excellent with absolutely no problems. Checking in was very simple and quick. I was given a newly renovated room on the 9th floor and found it to be done very well with what appeared to be all new furnishings. Very stylish. There was a small error on my final invoice which I brought to the attention of the front desk upon check out and they took care of it for me immediately without any problem. I would highly recommend this hotel especially as it is close to a lot of the major museums and attractions. Easy walking distance to the Mall, White House, Ford's Theater, Convention Center, etc... If I had only one minor comment on possible ways to improve upon it would be to have quieter air conditioner units in the rooms. I had to finally turn mine off as it just kept running no matter what I set the thermostat to. But it was just a minor thing and I didn't even bother to mention it when I checked out.

Room Tip: I prefer to stay on the upper levels as the view is usually better from the higher floors.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Grand Hyatt Washington, responded to this reviewResponded May 1, 2013

Hi Andy B,

Thank you for sharing feedback about your recent stays at our Grand Hyatt Washington. It's our pleasure to have an opportunity to welcome you back multiple times as our guest. Over the course of three years, it appears our hotel as continued to welcome you with a level of service that is hard to beat. Your recommendation with the sound of the A/C units is appreciated. If you experience this on your next visit, we would be happy to have a Maintenance Technician look into this on your behalf. We hope to welcome you back soon!

Nick B. - Guest Relations Associate

Reviewed April 30, 2013

Went with a work group for a convention in April 2013. Convenient location, nice beds and linens, comfortable pillows. Quiet and clean. Front desk, bell staff, gift shops were great service.

We had a lot of hotels from which to choose that were included in the package but I was very satisfied with our choice.

Parking in the adjacent garage will run you $30/day, if you drive yourself there is a connected interior elevator that lets you out in the lobby. The bell service was so kind and took our bags all the way out to our car.

Room Tip: I stayed on the first floor outside room and it was very quiet, which is pretty surprising.
Reviewed April 29, 2013

-request a room on the 'outside' if you prefer natural light
-'indoor' rooms overlook the lobby
-fitness center included in price!!!
In room:
-personal reading lights on each side of bed mounted to headboard
-mini-toothpaste
-no shower cap
-drip coffee with prepacked powder creamer
-1875 watt blowdryer
-iron and ironing board
-comforter is thin and not fluffy, blanket is provided
-bed is semi-firm, comfortable
-mini-fridge
In hotel lobby
-gift shop with expensive snacks
-Cure restaurant good for cocktails by the fire place
-Starbucks
-Sports bar
Lobby:
-open concept and carpeting
-a bit older in style than the Renaissance hotel
-staff fairly friendly and helpful

Room Tip: I prefer natural light so I was disappointed that my view was of the indoor lobby. That said, I did...
Reviewed April 29, 2013

Just brought my daughter to DC for the weekend to celebrate her 10th birthday. While checking in Emanuel was very friendly and engaging. After inquiring about the reason for our stay, he proceeded to make my daughter feel like a queen. He asked if she liked cupcakes (what 10 year old doesn't), he had some sent up to our room that night. He spoke to her as an adult and made her feel very special. Rooms were clean, ready for an early check-in and our stay was quiet and peaceful. We went down for breakfast the next morning and the same quality of service was provided in the restaurant. The hotels location allowed us to walk to all of our destinations, and was a quick and easy metro ride from DCA. Thanks Hyatt for helping make our stay special and memorable. We will be back

Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Grand Hyatt Washington, responded to this reviewResponded April 30, 2013

It is always gratifying to hear that our staff went above and beyond to make your stay so memorable for you and your daughter. Emanuel will be commended for his effort to make your daughter’s birthday special. Our location near many attractions and our proximity to the Metro are certainly wonderful features for our guests. Thank you for letting us share in your daughter’s birthday and I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back soon.

Abrea H. – A Guest Relations Associate