“Mixed Feelings”

Grand Hyatt Washington
Ranked #72 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed January 6, 2013

It looks like 4 dots is the consensus. Mine is based on my excellent room and the friendly, efficient, helpful staff I encountered balanced against the dated, uncomfortable and oppressive public spaces.
First, the room. It was great, newly renovated, small but logically designed, perfectly clean, super quiet, wonderful bed. Really cheap, at least on a Friday night. Not perfect: a renovation is the time to add thoughtful touches like bathroom night lights and makeup mirrors but these were overlooked. Also, no free wi-fi, though I suspect that, as happened to us, all moderately courteous guests are offered free wi-fi at check-in to make them feel loved. Parking is very expensive, but nearby garages have similar rates so I guess that's just DC. Five dots for all that.
But ugh, that grandiose Reagan-era brass and glass atrium. I guess no renovation could remove it, but I'm sure a talented designer could make it feel less cold. I would start with a space where guests could gather or relax without being in a cafe or restaurant. Some chairs and sofas arranged in a conversational group, how hard is that? Instead, the lobby offers two choices: you can go into a restaurant (Starbucks, breakfast buffet or fancy dining),or stand around wondering when management will get the news about fake topiary.But probably this is on purpose; guests sitting comfortably in the lobby aren't up in their rooms raiding the mini-bar and renting movies. Three dots, and I feel I'm being generous.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank barbwire1112016
Write a ReviewReviews (5,003)

Reviewed January 6, 2013

We arrived on January 3rd to an overbooked hotel. The only available space was a conference room which had a pull out mattress. The frame was uneven and the mattress was old and uncomfortable. The next day we were told they were going to move us to a room with a bed! We were told to pack everything and they would take care of moving our luggage. We made sure to pack everything before we left for our wedding ceremony. When we arrived back at the hotel they had not moved our luggage as promised, We had to move everything ourselves. The front desk was less than hospitable.

I do have to offer - the Grand Cafe staff was fantastic. I have celiac and the staff was more than helpful in speaking with the chef so that I knew what was safe to eat. The waitstaff at this hotel is much more customer oriented than the hotel staff. Eat here - don't stay here.

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated room.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Grand Hyatt Washington, responded to this reviewResponded January 15, 2013

Dear Sherry S:

Thank you for taking a moment to share feedback about your recent stay at our Grand Hyatt Washington. We're sorry to learn your stay was less than desireable due to having a room with the murphy bed on your first night. This is not typical of the Hyatt experience, and not one our guests should expect. I apologize for not being able to get in contact with you via private messaging. If you would like to discuss what happened, please feel free to contact me at the hotel. I'll be happy to speak with you.

Reviewed January 6, 2013

Pre check in didn't work. Had to stand in line. Insufficient front desk personnel. Room located among 20 something age AIPAC conventioneers who were loud talking and banging doors until 4 in the morning. Worst nights sleep in a hotel in years. Motel 6 has thicker walls. Rooms under construction. Old rooms are drab with walls of paper. Got deal because of construction but that wasn't the issue. Staff pleasant. Valet parking a stinging $45 a night.

Room Tip: Location of room is everything
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear RAHWilmette:

Thank you for going out of your way to share feedback about your recent stay at our Grand Hyatt Washington. I'm sorry I was unable to get ahold of you directly so we could discuss, in detail, the events of your stay. Please note, this is outside of the typical Hyatt experience, and we wouldn't expect our guests to have these issues. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back with us. If you would like, please feel free to contact me directly, as I'll be happy to speak with you.

Reviewed January 5, 2013

The Grand Hyatt has always been the hotel where our staff stay when in town to work from our D.C. Office. It IS expensive but then everything in D.C. is. There is an ongoing renovation to the hotel which is nicely updating the hotel rooms and facilities. It is a great location. The rooms are clean and nicely decorated. The breakfast in the morning is very good but again, pretty expensive. Like many other reviews there is always only a couple of people working the front desk and long lines and waiting seem to be the norm.

Room Tip: Do not rent a car. Use Taxis.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed January 3, 2013

I booked this hotel via hotels.com for its convenient location. Out of six staffers at the front desk only two were taking check-in a 3:30 which means you had to wait. My key did not work and dished were sitting on the floor by the door, I wondered if this was an occupied room which was not the case. The hotel is undergoing major renovations hence you will experience noise during the daily hours. Dinner was very good for room service and very prompt. I received a wake-up call which I never asked for, luckily I was awake. While getting ready room service knock at my door and the non english speaking person wanted to know when I would be checking out. I guess this hotel wants me out quickly which I will oblige.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Marc O
Reviewed January 2, 2013

Stayed here for five nights over the Christmas break withnwife and 4 kids. Stay was kind of hit and miss. At check in the self check in didn't work well so had to wait in a slow line for the one person checking folks in. Once it was my term this reason was very pleasant and helpful. Room was recently renovated and nice enough. Housekeeping was great the first day. The $20 tip probably helped. Then awful the rest of the time. Didn't ever replace all the towels. Sports bar recent was just ok but the staff was vert pleasant. Well located near metro station. Got a good deal on Priceline otherwise I would have been disappointed.

Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed January 1, 2013

My family and I were impressed with this hotel the second that we walked into the massive lobby area. Check In was easy and the staff was attentive and friendly. This hotel has so much to offer including multiple restaurants. There is a Starbucks located inside the hotel and the Zephyr Deli which we enjoyed a reasonable breakfast of eggs, oatmeal, bagels, etc... and for a family of 4 it cost approximately $30. They have a nice bar called Cure which had a really nice cheese platter that was complimented with a nice wine selection. They also had other restaurants including Grand Slam, etc... but we did not eat at those places.The location was great as it is within walking distance to many restaurants, China Town and there is a Metro stop attached to the hotel which was convenient. The hotel is under renovation, but we never noticed or experienced any issues or problems with it. The staff mentioned this at check in and offered us a complimentary drink or Wifi. The gym was probably the best hotel gym I have ever been to. They have a small pool area and a cardio area, sit up area and a large area of LifeFitness machines and free weights and dumbells.

The only real negative to this hotel was that parking was incredibly expensive, but I soon learned that this is a DC area issue, not a Hyatt issue.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Grand Hyatt Washington, responded to this reviewResponded January 2, 2013

Dear Terps92:

Thank you for taking the time to share feedback about your stay at our Grand Hyatt Washington. It's great to hear how much you enjoyed your stay with us. Our employees will be recognized for the fantastic service they provided. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back on your next visit to Washington DC. Your referral is greatly appreciated!