“Great Weekend Hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersSilver level
Los Angeles, California, United States
“Great Weekend Hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2012

My family and I were just in DC for a wedding and stayed at the Grand Hyatt and had a great stay. The front desk was extremely friendly and helpful. The room we stayed in was nice and clean. The location was great! Walking distance to shopping, restaurants and of course the fun tourist spots such as the White House, museums, and monuments. The Sunday buffet was good and had lots of options. The hotel was busy and had a reunion going on the same weekend we were there, but it didn't affect our stay at all and I was traveling with a 1 1/2 year old. Over all, we had a great stay and I would stay here again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (742)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Minneapolis
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2012

My travel agent and I determined this would be a kid friendly place for a four-day weekend for my wife and I with a niece and nephew (grades 4 and 7) as the kids had never been to D.C. It was a convenient location within walking distance of the White House, Ford’s Theatre and museums, but it wasn’t very friendly to a family of tourists, the kids or the adults.

The hotel caters to business travelers and conventions, one of which we found ourselves in the midst of. This made for long waits at the elevators and glaring stares from conventioneers. There were tables in the lobby on our floor that often had garbage left on them, like empty glasses, that would sit most of the day and overnight without being cleaned up.

We arrived on Thursday. The conventioneers left on Friday. They were replaced with what must have been a family or class reunion or wedding party staying on our floor. I have stayed in hotels full of youth sports groups making noise in the hallway, but this was a group of adults who wouldn’t go to bed. When I was awakened by their loud conversations taking place in the hallway (again) at 3:30 a.m., I placed a call to security.

The hotel is dated, as written by other reviewers. The furniture was old and the electronic capacity limited. I did pay the “premium” rate to have wireless service, which was weak with bandwidth. I normally like to travel and listen to radio stations from home over the Internet, but the Internet capacity of the hotel limited that option.

The reservation system of the hotel must be as arcane as the furniture and the electronic capacity. Though we did request at the time we made our reservation adjoining rooms, we never did get them.

I could lie in bed in the morning and listen to the muffled sounds of the TV and the people in the room next door. And I didn’t need a wake up call because I could hear the phone ringing in the next room.

The TV dish must have been mounted so as to also work as a weather vane because apparently the slightest wind kept breaking up the signal. It was frustrating one night because we were trying to watch one of the Major League Baseball playoff games.

One of the reasons we decided to stay here was an indoor pool was advertised. Upon arrival we found out it was in a workout facility in the adjoining building. At least they didn’t charge us extra for that.

Speaking of cost. We had the breakfast buffet our first morning at the hotel. For the four of us, two adults and two children, it cost $72.60 before a tip. We switched to having breakfast at the Deli and adjoining Starbucks in the lobby of the hotel.

I don’t enjoy writing bad reviews of hotels as it effects all the people who work there, including those who provide good service, which on this stay included whoever did such a good job cleaning our room, and Elizabeth at the front desk, who provided excellent service. Yes, this was a convenient location for touring Washington D.C., and dinner in Chinatown (at Ming’s that I highly recommend), but next time we will look for a different hotel in this neighborhood.

Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Mike D
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Grand Hyatt Washington, responded to this review, October 24, 2012
I appreciate that you took the time to provide feedback on your recent stay at our property. It’s disappointing to read that your stay did not meet expectations. We want to assure you that all guests whether traveling on business or leisure will receive the same level of service and care. I apologize that your room was not what you expected. Please know that we are planning upgrades to our guestrooms, suites and corridors. I hope that once the improvements are completed we can have the opportunity to welcome you back. If you would like to discuss your stay further please do not hesitate to contact us.

boston
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2012

This is a great hotel with excellent service. The location is ideal, easy to get anywhere. The breakfast buffet at the hotel is great ,delicious food. It is very clean. The staff is so personable and willing to help yu in any way.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Grand Hyatt Washington, responded to this review, October 18, 2012
Your feedback in regards to your recent stay at Grand Hyatt Washington is greatly appreciated. It is fantastic to hear that you had a terrific stay at our property. I’m glad that you found the service to be very personable and the location to be ideal. It sounds like you really enjoyed the breakfast buffet. Thank you for choosing our property for your recent visit to DC!

New York City, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2012

From the outside this hotel is very nice, but beware. The rooms not renovated and my bathroom was not cleaned correctly on several occasions. I would not recommend this hotel until they renovate. The hotel is probably fine if you are not a seasoned traveler but my group (who is) did care for the facility. I would not recommend until they make some changes.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank semjaza
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Grand Hyatt Washington, responded to this review, October 19, 2012
I appreciate you taking the time to share your recent experience at our property with us. I’m sorry that your stay was less than ideal. Please know that starting November 1, 2012 we will be undergoing guestrooms, suites, and corridors renovation. I hope that we can have the opportunity to welcome you back to our property once our improvements are completed.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2012

there is a construction across the street causing noise including night time. definitely would not stay until the construction is done. no safe boxes in the rooms unless you stay in the executive floor

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank eyy1
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2012

Stayed here for a conference. Pretty standard business hotel. Good location for restaurants and shopping and a nice bright modern foyer.

From a conference point of view, putting all the business areas in the basement means that making calls it tough as it is hard to get a signal.

Overall though, good clean, modern hotel in a great location.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Pennsauken, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2012

My husband and I stayed at this hotel a couple of weeks ago, for 1 night. Couples retreat, with church. Check-in was quick and painless. Everything about this place was top notch. I can't believe this was my first time in DC, have been missing alot... We wanna go back in the spring and will stay here again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple