“Beware of Bed Bugs!”

Grand Hyatt Washington
Ranked #68 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed September 30, 2011

I stayed at the Grand Hyatt during most of Sept. 2011 (room 711). After about 7 days, I started to get a few bites, but didn't think anything of it - thought they might be mosquito bites(it either took them a while to get active or it took me a while to get a reaction). After 10 days, I was covered. I complained to the hotel staff and they vigorously denied it. After several complaints and trying to change rooms (over a period of 36 hours which required me to stay in the room for another night), they finally took me seriously and called in a pest inspection company that confirmed the presence of bed bugs.

They moved me to another room, which was smaller than my previous room, and offered to clean all my clothes and luggage. They also promised me a number of free Hyatt points. Not only was I never given the Hyatt points, but they CHARGED ME FOR THE CLEANING!! It wasn't until I complained (again) that the charges were removed. The cleaning also ruined several items of my clothing. In the end, I received NO compensation whatsoever for the bed bug infestation - only costs and problems for me, despite paying over $8K for my extended stay and being a frequent Hyatt guest.

While I understand bed bugs can be found in any hotel, how it is handled correlates directly to the quality of the hotel. The Hyatt's response, or lack thereof, was a lesson learned.

Internet connection went down frequently which was frustrating when traveling on business. Other aspects of the hotel were fine - quiet, friendly restaurant staff, etc. and I have stayed there many times in the past. This was the first time I've had a problem at the hotel and I was unimpressed with how they handled the problem. I intentionally waited to write the review until I had left the hotel and I gave them every opportunity to ensure I was a satisfied guest, only to leave disappointed.

6  Thank Janelle K
HyattGuestRelations, guest relations associate at Grand Hyatt Washington, responded to this reviewResponded October 12, 2011

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on your recent stay. We’re sorry that your experience at our property did not meet expectations. We take your feedback very seriously and wanted to let you know that we contacted Ecolab to check both rooms and they found no bed bugs in the room. Our housekeeping management did email you on September 5th with a response in regards to this concern. If that email did not reach you and you would like to further discuss, please feel free to call us.

Chrissi R.- A Guest Relations Associate

Write a ReviewReviews (5,075)

Reviewed September 28, 2011

I have stayed at the Grand Hyatt a few times over the last few years for business/conferences and the experience has always been good. The rooms are of a reasonable size and facilities are decent. Wireless (even on the more expensive option) is a little slow but was workable. Service was friendly and helpful. Having a Starbucks in the lobby is helpful if you are in a conference and can't deal with the conference coffee.

Reviewed September 26, 2011

We stayed at the hotel for 5 nights. Upon arrival we were told that the only room available was a conference room/hotel room that features fold out beds, but that we could move the next day to another room with a king size bed. Given that we had our reservation several months in advance and had already paid in full for a room with a king size bed, I was not happy. I made it clear that this was not acceptable. 15 minutes later the hotel representative reappeared and said they had found a room. Aside from that inconvenience the rest of our room was without issue. The hotel is conveniently located and it's especially nice that they have access to the Metro just off the hotel lobby. The lobby is impressive, but the rooms are nothing special. Though they were clean. I'd stay there again, but never at the full price room rate.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 24, 2011

I've stayed here numerous times for conferences or work but this time, because the city was full, I was forced to pay full rate ($419 per night) and then they wanted 10.95 for slow internet or 15.95 for "fast internet" which I opted for because I had tons of work to do. It was a slow as the old phone dialup connections used to be. Then in the morning I went down to work out I was informed that they charge $10 to use the fitness center. That was the last straw! I went back to my room for some pushups, situps and squats and called that my workout. Outrageous! The room was comfortable and the staff were fine. The monkfish and garden salad on the room service menu were fantastic. But I will tell my business travel department to steer clear of this place.

2  Thank Athena7753
Reviewed September 22, 2011

It is a hotel catering mainly to business travelers, however, we found it more than adequate for our weekend in DC, it is close to the Mall area where the Smithsonian/monuments are.

The International Spy Museum is also close by and I do recommend going there, as it is well worth your time!

The room was alright, Regency Club was good as well.
Buffet in the morning is a good value and I recommend it, as well as "Cure" their restaurant/bar that spans 3 or 4 levels.
Their wine list is adequate, they have a nice selection of wines by the glass too.
The list also boasts a Lafite and a Mouton, though the vintages aren't mentioned anywhere.

One thing that did stick out for me, but nothing major, was the fact that the servers didn't have Hyatt uniforms and looked like they only got instructions to "wear something black".

Now where the hotel shines is the service!
Bryan Williamson and Daniel Geler(or Geleb, I apologize if I got it wrong) were amazing!

We had some issues with our flight and we arrived way past the normal check in hour(I did call them from the airport), they checked us in within moments, gave us 2 tickets for coffee and said they hope we enjoy our stay.
They checked on us tomorrow morning when we were having breakfast and told us about a couple of nearby things we might have missed otherwise.

I recommend staying here and I would stay again without a second thought, the service is excellent!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank La_TacheGC
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Grand Hyatt Washington, responded to this reviewResponded September 29, 2011

Dear hospitalitymanager1:

Hello & thank you for taking a moment to share your review about your recent stay at our Grand Hyatt Washington. It's great to hear how much you enjoyed seeing the sights of D.C. and how much fun you had at the Spy Museum! Oftentimes, we're told that is a popular museum of our guests. We're delighted you enjoyed our Grand Club lounge. We'll make sure that Bryan & Daniel are recognized for the tremendous service put forth. We hope to welcome you back to our area again!

Safe Travels!

Nick B. - Guest Relations Associate

Reviewed September 21, 2011

Located just a block from the Metro Center station, the Grand Hyatt has a very nice and large atrium with a beautiful water feature running throughout. A Starbucks and Eatery are located on the main floor for quick access food, while more formal dinning and bar service is available on the lower floor. Service was excellent, and the automated checkin service worked great (even quicker than the manual checkin). The rooms were adequate, and while the furniture was sturdy, it definitely showed lots of wear and tear. The desk was highly stained and dresser and coffee nook counters were not firmly attached. While the room was clean, updating the furniture and other amenities would certainly upgrade the review. All-in-all it was a good hotel for business travelers.

Reviewed September 20, 2011

We stayed at the hotel for 3 nights, at check in we found the guy who was on reception to be very helpful. The room was clean and the bathroom was nice. We had breakfast in the restaurant. It was excellent, but go down early if you can as it got very busy. Don't understand the bad reviews, the hotel is quite stunning. The main foyer and atrium is outstanding. The metro is actually under the hotel so no need to go outside to locate it. Love this hotel. Walk one block and find the 'Circulator' bus, it took us to Georgetown for one dollar. We saw the house JFK lived in before he moved to The White House. Worth the trip. Georgetown is cute.

Room Tip: Ask for an inside room.