I stayed at the Grand Hyatt during most of Sept. 2011 (room 711). After about 7 days, I started to get a few bites, but didn't think anything of it - thought they might be mosquito bites(it either took them a while to get active or it took me a while to get a reaction). After 10 days, I was covered. I complained to the hotel staff and they vigorously denied it. After several complaints and trying to change rooms (over a period of 36 hours which required me to stay in the room for another night), they finally took me seriously and called in a pest inspection company that confirmed the presence of bed bugs.
They moved me to another room, which was smaller than my previous room, and offered to clean all my clothes and luggage. They also promised me a number of free Hyatt points. Not only was I never given the Hyatt points, but they CHARGED ME FOR THE CLEANING!! It wasn't until I complained (again) that the charges were removed. The cleaning also ruined several items of my clothing. In the end, I received NO compensation whatsoever for the bed bug infestation - only costs and problems for me, despite paying over $8K for my extended stay and being a frequent Hyatt guest.
While I understand bed bugs can be found in any hotel, how it is handled correlates directly to the quality of the hotel. The Hyatt's response, or lack thereof, was a lesson learned.
Internet connection went down frequently which was frustrating when traveling on business. Other aspects of the hotel were fine - quiet, friendly restaurant staff, etc. and I have stayed there many times in the past. This was the first time I've had a problem at the hotel and I was unimpressed with how they handled the problem. I intentionally waited to write the review until I had left the hotel and I gave them every opportunity to ensure I was a satisfied guest, only to leave disappointed.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Centrally located in downtown City Center- with convenient in-lobby Metro Center access - this Washington DC hotel is an ideal spot to explore the Nation's Capitol. Enjoy stylish guestrooms with plush Grand Beds™, indulgent amenities and multiple dining venues. Utilize our full-service business center and 32 outstanding meeting rooms - just steps from Washington Convention Center. Escape to extraordinary elegance at Grand Hyatt Washington. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, HotelsforEveryone, Cancelon, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Grand Hyatt Washington reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grand Hyatt Washington Hotel Washington Dc
- Grand Hyatt Washington Dc
- Hyatt Washington Dc
- Washington Dc Hyatt