“Hotel was great, but don't splurge on Regency Floor”

Grand Hyatt Washington
Ranked #72 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Hotel was great, but don't splurge on Regency Floor”
Reviewed March 26, 2011

This hotel was great. Location was perfect for walking to every museum and monument. Plenty of food close by and shopping. Bed was excellent. My only complaint was about spending $400 extra to be on the Regency floor. One of the perks of this floor is that there is food and drinks out most of the day. I was so dissapointed in their daily breakfast that never changed. Bagels, Locks,tomatoes, boiled eggs and the reg. continental bread/cereal breakfast. We, being from the south, did not get the idea of Locks being the staple for breakfast. Snacks were never plentiful, nor were the supposed dessert time at night. Once there was cake., Most nights there was just melon or a small tart. Once when we arrived and when were were leaving, we actually got cookies in the afternoon. I thought that having at least breakfast and snacks for two adults/2 kids would out way the $400 extra I paid for this identical floor. It did not. 2 of us ate a $40 breakfast buffet on the last day, b/c we could not stomach cereal/bagels anymore. I first used the more expensive Reg. floor in Aruba in November and I guess that set the standard for me. There was different and good food (seafood, chicken, eggrolls, eggs benedict, cookies) out all day long and plenty of it. I did complain when we left and I was compensated for my breakfast buffet and a dinner that we had in the hotel ($102). Only other complaint was that there was the smell of cigar/smoke every day on my floor and when I complained they said they would call security, but the smell returned every day. Others complained also. I would definitely recommend this hotel for location and comfort, but just don't pay extra for the regency floor. Also we did not realize that some rooms balcony was to the enclosed courtyard (no view to outside) and some had windows to the world. Please specify your preference.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank readytotravelanytime
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Grand Hyatt Washington, responded to this review, March 28, 2011
Thank you for providing your feedback regarding your recent stay. I am happy to hear that you found our hotel and location to be great. I’m sorry that the Grand Club breakfast didn’t meet your expectations. I’m glad the front desk was able to resolve any issues that you had regarding the Grand Club offerings. We look forward to welcoming you back to Hyatt in the future.

Brock S. – A Guest Relations Associate

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (777)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
New York, NY
Reviewed March 21, 2011

For a very large hotel, this one is pretty good. My main complaint was the lack of a safe, a strange omission in this day and age, particularly for such a busy conference hotel. But the on-site restaurant Cure is good (drinks are pretty expensive), and Starbucks in the lobby was very convenient. Breakfast is profoundly expensive, so it's a better bet to hop over to a nearby restaurant or McDonald's. I found the service to be good; the desk staff were helpful and courteous, but then I didn't have any extraordinary needs. The room was comfortable, if not terribly exciting. Both the bedding and furniture were in good shape, and there was a convenient ipod dock. The location is really convenient for the Mall and White House; the Metro is directly underneath. I didn't use the Health Club. The Sports Bar, while offering cheaper drinks than Cure restaurant, was far too noisy and just didn't appeal; it was very busy, though.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Chesapeake, Virginia
Reviewed March 21, 2011

Booked a room at the Grand Hyatt Washington last minute. We chose it for it's proximity to the verizon center as we were were attending an NCAA Game there. We were very pleased with our choice. We got a great price for the room. It was very clean and comfortable. Wished that there was free internet in the rooms but that was really the only negative. Had to pay for parking but that always seems to be the case in the city. The hotel is about a 10 minute walk to the National Mall which was great and I never felt unsafe in the area. There were many dining choices in the hotel and closeby. I think what I was most pleased with was the staff. EVERYONE was friendly. When I say everyone I mean the parking attendants, housekeeping staff, doormen, front desk staff, you name it, they were friendly. We really felt like they cared that we were enjoying our stay. I highly recommend this hotel.

Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
la
Reviewed March 14, 2011

I have stayed at a number of hyatt's over the last year. This is by far the worst. Door man got in a fight with my cab driver, my toliet came from a train station, no safe.
The hyatt over in Rosslyn is far better.
The location is great but there are far better ones in the area

• Stayed March 2011
Norwalk, Ohio
Reviewed March 11, 2011

Took the train into DC to do some sightseeing. Booked this hotel at the last minute. The train took us right to the entrance to the hotel, everyone was very friendly from the check-in, servers and retailers. We were in walking distance from all the sights in DC. The room was just the right size for 2. We had a wonderful time and hope to stay again.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 8, 2011

After booking reservations months in advance, arrived after driving 4 hours to hear that no rooms were available. They relocated me to another Hyatt half way across town which wasn't as nice and to top it off, the only available room was one with a twin size bed.

• Stayed March 2011
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Grand Hyatt Washington, responded to this review, March 14, 2011
I’m sorry to hear about your recent experience at the Grand Hyatt Washington DC. This is not what our guests should come to expect while staying at a Hyatt property. If you would like to discuss these issues in further detail, please feel free to contact us, as we are happy to assist.

Brock S. - A Guest Relations Associate
Winnipeg
Reviewed March 4, 2011

I thought this Hotel had some great lobby design features and was well situated. The rest of the experience was average and as suspected...nothing to say one way or the other.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business