“Great value in Foggy Bottom”

University Inn Washington DC
Ranked #58 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Dublin, Ireland
“Great value in Foggy Bottom”
Reviewed January 24, 2014

The great positive point of this hotel is its location - a few meters away from Foggy Bottom metro station and walking distance from so many attractions, shops and restaurants.

The staff is also very nice, warm, welcoming and helpful.

My room was huge - maybe because I'm more used to tiny European rooms - with 2 double beds and a good size bathroom with soap and shampoo. There was also a microwave, a coffee machine, a boiler and a fridge which are very convenient. The room was also clean and I felt safe.

On the downsize, if you are looking for the latest design hotel, this is not it. The hotel furniture style is kind of old fashion and I felt a little bit like staying at grandma's. But overall this is just a detail.

In conclusion, for that price in the center of DC, this hotel is a very good value and I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank mela193
Jared B, Front Office Manager at University Inn Washington DC, responded to this review, February 6, 2014
Mela193,

Thanks for the great review! We are glad you enjoyed your stay. A lot of our guests do compliment the size of our rooms. Looks like we will see you again and we can not wait!!

See you soon!

The GWU Inn Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (209)
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Turkish first
UK
Reviewed January 16, 2014

The hotel is in an excellent location - within reasonable walking distance of the White House and museums, and near the Foggy Bottom metro, and bus stops if you don't like walking. It's also very convenient for the free evening concerts at the Kennedy Centre! We had stayed in this area before which was the reason for choosing this hotel, which was at an affordable price.

The room we had was slightly on the smaller side than others on the hotel plan. (I did wonder that if we had booked direct with the hotel rather than through an agency whether we would have been given a larger room...) There was a good area for the lounge part of the room, but the bed was in an awkward position, almost up to the side wall, making it difficult for one of us to easily get into the bed.

The kitchenette was a great asset. We did eat one evening in the hotel restaurant, which I would not recommend, as it was very busy and we felt we were being rushed at times. We ate at one other local restaurant, but find that the Whole Foods supermarket food bar to be excellent value.

There was some background noise in the room - not sure if it was air conditioning water going through pipes, or perhaps the lift, which was relatively near our room. But it was not enough for us to complain about it.

The hotel staff were delightful. The reception staff helped us book a reservation on the boat trip to Mount Vernon which we were having difficulty with. The door staff were extremely cheerful.

We would stay there again, given it's great location and value.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank countrygirluk
Countrygirluk,

Thanks for the great and very informative review! I can say, we do not like to play favorites however if you do book directly through us, we can provide you with the room you prefer! And we will remember it every time you stay with us!

We look forward to seeing you again,

Evanston, Illinois
Reviewed January 13, 2014

So I was there in early December and it was Cold…before I get to the problems I want to say the room was a good size but slightly dated. The bathroom was clean with nice soaps, shampoo etc.. but the cabinet was deteriorating and old. It had a nice little kitchenette with a fridge etc. The bed was comfortable and again the sheets and blankets clean. I was given a room on the "first" floor, one above the main floor and looking out on the parking area so I heard every time they set/opened a car lock. The biggest issue was that it was cold especially the floor-I believe the room was above the garage. But it got worse as the heat went out completely Friday night while we were sleeping so when I woke up it was crazy cold. I turned up the heat-thinking it was my fault-but when it didn't improve I called downstairs and they finally said it was out in the whole hotel…I did get a small space heater that was not able to do much but I appreciated the effort. It would have been nice to have been informed of the outage via a message. When asking about when the heat would be fixed the staff replied that they were cold too, I had to remind them that they were being paid while we were paying... Late that afternoon the heat was fixed when we returned. Unfortunately the floor remained cold throughout our stay but at least the heat worked. The hotel gave us a small comp for the heat issues which was fair. The positives of the hotel are definitely the restaurant and bar, both are exceptional. We had a great dinner and the bar tender was very friendly and knowledgeable. Also the location is amazing. I would stay here again but request an upper floor away from the elevator, and maybe request an updated room.

Room Tip: upper floor away from elevator.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank needtogetaway2
Dear Needtogetaway2,

I am glad to hear you enjoyed our hotel overall. Unfortunately during your stay we did have an issue with our heat. I sincerely apologize for this issue, as it is not normally a problem. I hope you will allow us a second opportunity to serve you! Yet, this time, I could personally handle your accommodations. Please feel free to contact me directly before your arrival so I may set up your preferences.

I look forward to meeting you,

Jared Bairstow
Front Office Manager
Phone: 202-337-6620 ext. 7186
Prague, Czech Republic
Reviewed January 13, 2014

Excellent position near the White House suitable for exploring the city.
Rooms are spacious, clean and tidy.
Professional friendly staff willing and able to help.
Restaurant in the hotel
Near the subway.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank HV75
Thanks for the awesome review, we're glad you enjoyed your visit! I'm sure you still have more exploring to do, so we all hope to see you again soon.

Denver, Colorado
Reviewed January 11, 2014

It is a small, but beautiful hotel with classic charm. The staff is wonderful and really had the guest's needs in mind. The hotel room was huge, and the kitchenette (complete with stove, mini fridge, microwave, coffee maker and all of the plates, pots, pans and silverware you could need!) was a great added bonus and helped save some money by not having to eat out for every meal. You are close to everything you could ever need- the Foggy Bottom metro is one block away, and if you are up for some mild exercise you can walk to a lot of DC's famous monuments. My only complaint is that the wifi was weak- maybe it was just because we were on the far end of the hotel. It didn't bother us much, but if you staying for business, its something to consider. There is an Ethernet cable so you can always use that as well!
We stayed for 3 nights before changing to another hotel we had booked in a different area in DC- I wish we would have booked our whole trip at George Washington University Inn! Our other "big name" hotel was such a let down after our fantastic stay at GWU Inn!
Beautiful hotel, perfect location, wonderful staff- we will definitely be staying here again on our next trip to Washington DC

Room Tip: The King suite is huge- its more like an apartment with completely separate bedroom and living room...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Kelly F
Jared B, Front Office Manager at University Inn Washington DC, responded to this review, February 5, 2014
Kelly F,

I have great news! We are updating our WIFI soon, so that will no longer be an issue!

Thank you for the awesome review! We are glad you enjoyed it here at the GWU Inn. I hope we get to see you again soon... I'm sure there has to be at least a couple more monuments/museums you want to visit.

Macon, Georgia
Reviewed January 8, 2014

I recently stayed here with my friend to ring in the new year and the hotel was actually very nice.
When we arrived it didnt look like much but when we walked in the lobby gave us a feeling of a grandma's house but not in a bad way.

The night manager Lavel was great . We had a party to get to but it was lame she recommended a place for us to go and it was awesome.

tips for staying at University Hotel
call directly for the best rates
ask about promotions- we just did a walk up but Lavel gave us the works
ask for a late check out or a free upgrade they are very generouse
oh and find street parking regular price is like 50bucks but we got a nice deal for like half off because of a promotion.

If i visit washington again I will definately stay again thanx for the fun!!!

Room Tip: we stayed on the 7th floor in a corner room on the backside possible 712
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Was it the fresh baked cookies or the jars full of candy that made it feel like walking into Grandma's? Or both! HAHA. We are very thrilled that you enjoyed your stay with us! Hopefully we will see you again in the near future. LaVelle says that she is glad she was able to direct you to a NYE worthy party place.

New month, new promotions! Come see us again!

Germantown, Maryland
Reviewed December 29, 2013

We stayed 1 night. The Hotel was a little hard to find since it does not have a large sign out front. In fact, we finally found it only after looking for the Marriott Renaissance Courtyard which is directly across the street.

We booked room 808 (it cost $14 more for an eight floor room) but is was worth it. The room had a great view of the Kennedy Center, Watergate appts, and Saudi Embassy. The room was large with a full kitchenette, couch table etc. Everything was clean and tidy. The bed was comfortable and the room was very quiet. It would be a great room to stay in if you are visiting DC for a week or more.

It is a short walk (0.3 miles) to the Kennedy Center (our purpose to be in DC) and not too far from a Metro station.

The staff was friendly too. What still amazes me is that the total cost for our Room (including taxes et al ) was $150. We had a coupon for free valet parking ($40 more). We would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: Definitely consider paying a little bit extra to get on the higher floors.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Relaxed81
Jared B, Front Office Manager at University Inn Washington DC, responded to this review, January 8, 2014
First, I would like to thank you for taking the time to write us such a good review! We are very happy that you enjoyed your stay with us!

Secondly, I look forward to your next stay with us. Contact me in advance and I will handle your accommodations, making sure you receive the same amenities as last time, plus more!

Jared Bairstow