“Great room, awesome price”

University Inn Washington DC
Ranked #61 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed December 29, 2013

We stayed 1 night. The Hotel was a little hard to find since it does not have a large sign out front. In fact, we finally found it only after looking for the Marriott Renaissance Courtyard which is directly across the street.

We booked room 808 (it cost $14 more for an eight floor room) but is was worth it. The room had a great view of the Kennedy Center, Watergate appts, and Saudi Embassy. The room was large with a full kitchenette, couch table etc. Everything was clean and tidy. The bed was comfortable and the room was very quiet. It would be a great room to stay in if you are visiting DC for a week or more.

It is a short walk (0.3 miles) to the Kennedy Center (our purpose to be in DC) and not too far from a Metro station.

The staff was friendly too. What still amazes me is that the total cost for our Room (including taxes et al ) was $150. We had a coupon for free valet parking ($40 more). We would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: Definitely consider paying a little bit extra to get on the higher floors.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Relaxed81
Jared B, Front Office Manager at University Inn Washington DC, responded to this reviewResponded January 8, 2014

First, I would like to thank you for taking the time to write us such a good review! We are very happy that you enjoyed your stay with us!

Secondly, I look forward to your next stay with us. Contact me in advance and I will handle your accommodations, making sure you receive the same amenities as last time, plus more!

jbairstow@modushotels.com

Write a ReviewReviews (1,462)

Reviewed December 26, 2013

This is a great, small hotel in the middle of Foggy Bottom. This was my second stay and again, it was terrific. I had a lovely, room that was an upgrade, it was a surprising value, and all the staff was pleasant. I will come back again.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank jay k

Dear Jay K,

We look forward to your 3RD stay!! :) Except this time we will have even more upgrades and amenities for you!

I hope to see you soon in the future. Please contact me after you have decided on your travel dates and I will set up your accommodations!

Thanks again for the awesome review!

Reviewed December 26, 2013

What a pleasure to be in this great city but it was made even more pleasant by the experience of staying at the George Washington University Inn. It is close to Foggy Bottom Metro, and Whole Foods as well as Trader Joe's. With the kitchenette, you can make your stay more scheduled to your personal time line.
The Staff are so accommodating and personable, always holding the doors an pointing you in the right direction in the city that is built on a hub.
I am a walker and I found it invigorating to walk everywhere….so excursions to the various museums that are part of the Smithsonian, or the Kennedy Center (very close) or to the White House were great adventures.
(I saw 'Bo' and 'Sunny' being walked on the White House grounds and asked the gentleman if he had to 'scoop their poop' and he flatly said, 'Of course…')
But, the one problem was how dry the hotel rooms became, which we solved by putting wet towels on the heating units. it was a solution that Pavarotti said that he would use when he was touring from hotel room to hotel room and he needed to keep his 'pipes' in perfect condition!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Catherine Y

Dear Catherine Y,

I am very grateful you took the time to review our hotel! Also thank you for such an outstanding one, I am very glad to see you enjoyed your stay with us. I hope to see you back again in the future!

Secondly, thank you for expressing your concern about the room being dry. I have communicated this concern with all of the staff and our engineering department will certainly develop a resolution to this.

For your return to DC, please feel free to contact me direct to handle your accommodations!

I look forward to welcoming you back,

Reviewed December 25, 2013

We just returned from a five night stay at the GWU Inn. The room was spacious (1 bedroom suite with kitchen), clean and well equipped. The location was perfect, close to the Metro and Whole Foods and many restaurants (Bayou!). The price was very reasonable. The highlight, however, is the staff. They were all very pleasant and helpful. Brian, in particular, went out of his way to help us find our way, pick a restaurant, lend us an umbrella and refrigerate over groceries while we went out. Thanks for a home away from home GWU Inn.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Christine D

Dear Christine D,

I can speak for the entire staff here at the GWU Inn when I say we are more than happy to be your home away from home!! We strive to make all of our guests' feel exactly how you did! We look forward to welcoming you back in the future!

Reviewed December 17, 2013

The George Washington Inn was a huge surprise! Being new to the Foggy Bottom, D.C. area, I was unfamiliar with the hotels there. I took a chance and am glad I did. The staff is amazing; very pleasant and customer service friendly. The accommodations are fantastic; comfortable and clean. The location, around the block from George Washington University Hospital and the Metro, couldn't be better. Can't wait to return; it's my new regular place to stay when in D.C.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
Jared B, Front Office Manager at University Inn Washington DC, responded to this reviewResponded December 22, 2013

Dear Mp9b,

I am so excited to hear that you will be staying with us regularly when traveling to DC! Since it was your first stay with us, we only just got to know you! The next time you are traveling to DC, please contact me if you have the time, so I can handle your accommodations. Thank you for the wonderful review! We are all very pleased you enjoyed your stay with us.

I hope to see you in the near future!

Thanks again,

Reviewed December 17, 2013

Just came back from a weekend in DC and stayed at this lovely boutique hotel. Great location, practically on campus. Rooms were clean, service was great! Steven at the desk was especially helpful. The most impressive thing about our stay was the Manager, Sarah Conigliaro. When there was an issue with the breakfast we had already purchased vouchers for, she sprang in to action, single handedly setting up the entire breakfast, serving our beverages and clearing our plates. She turned a potential negative experience in to a winning one. A+ for customer service and service recovery!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel!!

I, personally am very happy to see that you enjoyed your stay. I can speak for the entire team when I say, we welcome you back anytime! Sarah and Steven were very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay. I have shared your positive feedback with them.

Again, we welcome you back to the George Washington University Inn anytime! Please feel free to contact me for your future stay and I will make sure to personally set up your accommodations!

Reviewed December 16, 2013

You cannot beat this small boutique inn for location and value. In the heart of historic Foggy Bottom, the Inn is close to Georgetown and many of the most visited tourist sites. This property is not for those who prefer a Hampton or Marriott experience. Rooms are small, but nicely appointed and many have efficiencies. The staff is exceptional and rooms are quiet and very clean. If you have a student at GWU or someone being treated at the GWU hospital, this is an ideal location. Great price point! Oh, and it is a short walk to the Metro. And, there is valet parking (albeit limited). The area feels safe for walking as well.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family

Dear Liltjl,

Thank you for the great review! As you may have noticed, it is our pleasure to have you stay with us. I am very happy to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for making our other TripAdvisor readers aware of our amenities and location. If you have any requests for your future stay with us again, please contact me directly and I will be more than happy to personally handle your accommodations!

Thank you again for your review!

jbairstow@modushotels.com

PS: Do not forget to contact our reservations department to hear about our GW promotions and discounts!