“Nice older hotel in Foggy Bottom.”

University Inn Washington DC
Ranked #59 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed August 14, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here while on a family trip to DC. Wad very pleased with our room and found the staff to be excellent. It's nestled among houses in a residential neighborhood across from GW. It's only about a block and a half from a metro stop, and about 3/4 of a mile from the National Mall. Rooms were nicely sized and had a small fridge and microwave, which we liked. The hotel is old, and there is no lobby to speak of and it was hard to find morning coffee service some days, but we really enjoyed our stay and would definitely return on a future visit.

• Stayed: August 2013
GWUInnGM, Front Office Manager at University Inn Washington DC, responded to this reviewResponded August 26, 2013

We appreciate your wonderful comments regarding your stay and are pleased that you found comfort and convenience in your hotel accomodations as well as location. I apologize that the coffee service and lobby size failed to meet your desired expectations.We certainly will work on making this part of the experience more enjoyable for our guest.

Again, Thank ypu for sharing your experience.

There are newer reviews for University Inn Washington DC

Reviewed August 13, 2013

The hotel is in a quiet neighborhood by George Washington University. It’s a short walk from the Foggy Bottom Metro which is very convenient. We had two families, so one couple had a Traditional King Room and the other couple with a child had a King Suite. The reservations were made separately, but they were able to accommodate us and have the rooms right next to each other.

We chose this hotel because it was reasonably priced for a suite with a bedroom you could close off. It worked out perfectly. The King Suite also had a kitchenette. While we never cooked on it, it was nice to have for grabbing breakfasts in the morning. The only incident we had was with the magnetic strips on the keys not working. After multiple visits to the front desk, they got them to work. This was somewhat irritating after a long day of touring when we just wanted to go to bed!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family

We are very pleased that our location as well as you accomodations exceeded your expectations. Please except our apologies for the trouble you experienced with your keys.It was never our intent for you to encounter this inconvenience.

Thank you taking time to share your comments. We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed July 25, 2013

Overall good experience. Nice friendly staff, clean room, and great location.

But this is not the place for amenities.
No parking, no breakfast, no coupons, but I did like the water, candy, and fresh fruit.

• Stayed: July 2013
GWUInnGM, Front Office Manager at University Inn Washington DC, responded to this reviewResponded July 27, 2013

We are plesed that your ovreall experience was nice and that the staff and accomodations were able to meet your expectations. We do provide parking, however it is valet only an charges are applied for both day and/or overnight We also provide a continental breakfast each morning from 7 am until 10 am weekdays and 7 am until 11 am weekends.

We do hope that you will return and that these ameneties will enhance your experience.

Reviewed July 23, 2013 via mobile

The only positive comment refers to Brian and Leul. Both demonstrate superb customer service. However, management was not responsive to my request for a verbal conversation related to my stay. I had to switch rooms five times prior to being put in a room without mold. I complained about the mold when I first saw it in the bathroom. Maintenance came up and used a cleaning solution to get rid of it. They also replaced the broken hairdryer, but were unable to fix the cracks in the ceiling. However, they were unable to remove all of it and failed to clean the black growths on the tile and grout. After experiencing coughing through out the day, I asked to be moved to another room. The next room had the same issue. The third room had a horrible stink, similar to mold, but nothing visible in the bathroom. As I prepared for bed, I went to shut the curtains. Looking at the ceiling there was blistering plaster, brown fuzz mold and black mold. I had just spent three hours in that room and was having difficulty breathing. I requested to be moved again. Guess what we ( this time they sent maintenance with me) found??? More mold and water damage. Finally, the fifth room appeared to be cleared from mold. Still haven't heard from management. My doctor says if the coughing doesn't go away in two weeks, I'll need a chest X-ray to see if the mold caused any additional damage to my lungs besides a spell of acute bronchitis.

All 5 rooms had one or more of the following problems in addition to the mold: running toilet; broken hairdryer; broken lamp switch; cracked drywall; peeling wallpaper; unglued/nailed floor board; and carpet so worn it had a nail coming out (thankful for tetanus shot).

Will I recommend this hotel? What do you think?

3  Thank JENLANGLEY

It was a pleasure to have spoken with you and again I appreciate your understanding regarding the discomfort you endured during your visit. I am happy that we were able to discuss this matter and come to some resolve. Also thank you for recognizing our staff members for the service they provided .

Reviewed July 15, 2013

We travelled to this hotel in July 2013. I parked on the street as I could not see parking in the hotel. Upon arrival at 10 AM the morning of our stay they proceeded to let us check in early. When i inquired about the parking, as I didnt see much, they told me there would be an extra charge for parking that I was not informed of previously. To not make an issue of it I accepted the charge so as to go ahead with our vacation. The door man informed came out with us and when he saw wher we parked he said we could leave it where it was as the city would not be checking parking on the 4th of July. That saved us some money at least.
When we checked out I saw the charge was $50 a day for parking which I felt was very excessive. Once again I accepted it as overall the hotel was very good. I probably should have agrued but it was early in the morning and we had a long drive back home to Toronto.

Other than that the hotel was fantastic. The room are large and roomy and lots of light. The hotel staff were very helpful. Special thanks to Serge and Jose for all their help. I would rtecommend this hotel to anyone just be sure to ask about parking costs

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Please accept our apologies for the miscommunication on parking fees. We are glad that it didnt ruin your vacation and that you were able to enjoy your accomodations and that the you found the staff to be helpful.

Reviewed July 14, 2013 via mobile

We were in DC for one night for a show at the Kennedy Center, and chose the George Washington University Inn for its proximity. Not only was the hotel close to the KC, it was in the heart of Foggy Bottom and everything was walkable, including the KC and great restaurants. The bonus was how nice, attentive and genuine all the staff were. The hotel wasn't luxurious, but we had everything we needed. And besides, I would trade luxury for fantastic staff and location any day.

• Stayed: July 2013

We are very pleased that you chose to stay with us and that our location and staff exceeded your expectations. Thank you for sharing your experience and we look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed July 10, 2013

Large rooms in an older however well maintained and conveniently located hotel a few minutes walk from Foggy Bottom Metro. My studio room had a full kitchen and sofa in addition to a king size bed. A quirky floor paln with a dressing room before you enter the bathroom. Whole Foods is nearby as are numerous restaurants. Good value.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
GWUInnGM, Front Office Manager at University Inn Washington DC, responded to this reviewResponded July 14, 2013

Your comfort is our priority and we are pleased that we met your expectations all around.

Thank you for sharing your comments.

Tatina Washington