“Great Area of DC”

University Inn Washington DC
Ranked #59 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed October 3, 2007

The hotel itself was nothing to write home about, but it is in a fantastic area of DC (Foggy Bottom area, about a mile from Dupont Circle). Hotel was clean and average; no special perks or amenities, but it provided for a comfortable stay.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled on business
1  Thank DFC12481
There are newer reviews for University Inn Washington DC

Reviewed September 12, 2007

The GWU Inn bills itself as a boutique hotel. I've stayed in three boutique hotels in DC - Hotel Madera, River Inn, and Hotel Rouge. The GWU Inn is NOTHING like any of these three. Everything about it is cheaper (except the price). The bathroom fixtures are cheap, the bathtub/shower had mold on the ceiling, the chair/desk combo was like a Walmart special. Also, boutique hotels are usually funky or fun in some way. Not this place. The bedspreads look like a cheap Marriott knock-off - so they were imitating the chain look, rather than the boutique look.

That said, my stay was fine. Everything worked, the place was clean, the bed was comfortable. Service was fine as well. My only complaint was that the walls really were thin - I almost never have problems with hearing neighbors, but around 10 p.m., the person in the room next to me called someone on his cell phone and I could almost make out the conversation, let alone hear the noise. So I do think that could be trouble if you had noisy neighbors.

Would I recommend the GWU Inn? Well, it depends on the price. If the price is anywhere near what you'll be paying for either an upscale chain or a real boutique hotel, no way. It's definitely not the same experience. If it's a good deal, then no problem - it's a decent place with free high speed internet access. Just don't pay too much because it's not really worth it.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled on business
3  Thank everglades_gal
Reviewed September 3, 2007

Very disappointing for the price that we paid for our stay.

The problems started right at our arrival. We were moving in a GWU student and so had a lot of luggage. When we arrived at the hotel by taxi, the hotel driveway was completely blocked by parked cars and the valet was nowhere to be found. We left our bags on the sidewalk and I went to find the bellman and politely asked him to help us move our bags in from the street. He seemed too busy to be bothered, grabbed only two bags, dumped them in a corner of the lobby, and promptly disappeared. We were left to haul the rest of the luggage ourselves in from the street and up to our rooms.

None of us slept during our visit – the hotel walls are so thin that we could hear word-for-word conversations on all sides and certainly didn’t appreciate the crying child/screaming mother combo in the room above us.

Lobby staff was clueless when asked simple questions such as the nearest Chinese restaurant and the times that the Metro started running.

On the positive side, we had a potentially serious maintenance problem in our room one morning; hotel management paid a visit and called a maintenance person right away - the whole thing was resolved in a half hour.

Pluses: Great location close to Foggy Bottom Metro stop and Kennedy Center. Room was clean and well-maintained throughout the visit.

Minuses: Valet service is awful and we witnessed many guests waiting a long time for their cars; customer service at the front desk virtually non-existent.

• Stayed: August 2007
4  Thank FrequentFlyer12
Reviewed August 28, 2007

I stayed at this hotel because I attended a two-day orientation session at GWU. This hotel was so close and I got quite a good rate through the school. I did have a little trouble finding the place, it is nestled in between residential homes & apartment buildings and the sign is pretty tiny. But it was within a block and a half from the metro and even less to campus.

The room was plenty big, with two double beds, a desk, a separate room for the microwave & fridge, and a tiny bathroom. The bathroom shelf was annoying (as other reviewers have said) because it would not fit any of my toiletries. Water pressure was good, the towels were amazing, and I liked they offered free shoe shine service (although I never used it).

The best part about the room - the bed! It was so comfortable, moreso than even my own at home. One of the best I've slept on while away from home. The worst part (besides the tiny bathroom) - the maid service. They didn't replace any of the toiletries during my four night stay, forgot to clean the coffee pot and replace the coffee a couple of other days, and didn't bother to do more than make the beds and take out the trash and towels. Very disappointing. The view out my window was lovely at night, I could see the Kennedy Center all lit up down the street. Lovely!

All in all, when I go back to GWU I will likely stay at this hotel because of the amazing discount the university offered me. But if I were paying over $200 a night I'd move out of the district to Alexandria or Arlington and get a much nicer hotel for the price.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled on business
2  Thank Serendipity88
Reviewed August 13, 2007

Wonderful, quaint hotel in beautiful Georgetown. Metro 5 minutes away on foot. The hotel staff was very gracious and helpful. Smiles everywhere!!! Room was very comfortable and clean. We thoroughly enjoyed our visit and would return again if ever in the DC area. This place rocks!!!

Stayed: June 2007
Reviewed July 18, 2007

In addition to the previously written positive reviews, I would also like to mention my great stay at this hotel. As a parent of a GW university student, I was looking for a hotel located very close to the Foggy Bottom Campus in May'07. This, by far, is the best location. Just an easy walk up two blocks, and your right at the GW Hospital, a metro stop, and the GWU Student Center and rest of campus.

The hotel is actually a reburbished apartment building. The hotel rooms have a typical apartment floorplan including kitchens. The lobby's registration counter is very small as is the lobby. All staff were very friendly...although be prepared to carry your own luggage as bellhops were seldom seen during my stay (3 days). Elevators are VERY small. Also, if travelers prefer to have a hopping lounge or good restaurant in the hotel where they stay - this location is NOT for you. You will need to either go for walk to some great places or order take-out. Many restaurants do deliver and most of the rooms have a galley kitchen where you can save left-overs in your refrigerator!

I didn't experience the "thin walls" a previous reviewer mentioned - but I was so exhausted after walking all over campus that by the time I returned to my room I crashed on a very comfortable bed and was out like a light!

I would certainly return to this hotel again, but for the next few visits to GWU I will continue to experiment with surrounding hotels and post my experiences.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank Beantowngal
Reviewed June 17, 2007

I stayed here one night before an exam the next morning being administered at a nearby test site (I live just outside of DC). Location was pretty good, in GW campus, next to the metro, safe area with street parking until 7AM the next day M-F. Rooms were clean, large, comfortable. Bathroom was clean with extra towels etc. Night reception was horrible. When I arrived, at 11PM to check in, no one was there, the guy at the reception seemed to have just been awakened, came up rubbing the sleep out of his eyes and seemed annoyed at me for waking him. I inquired if they were very booked up, because I had an exam the next day and I would need to be able to sleep so please give me a room that is not near any other patrons (its a hotel on a college campus and so I assume there are going to be a lot of college kids roaming about the hotel on a friday night). He again seems annoyed and just grunted "this'll be fine" and pushes a room key at me. I go to the room, and the next room over there is a loud party going on. I didn't even step into the room, I just went back down and asked for another room. I said, there is a party going on in the room next door, I need another room. He says "Why?" as if that wasn't explanation enough. Finally he gives me a room higher up and that one was fine. The walls are paper thin so you can hear the usual people talking in the hallway and sounds of opening and shutting doors - no big deal - but I was rather annoyed at the attitude and disregard shown by reception so I would stay here again if the price was right. Reading the other reviews, I am guessing the reception during the day is better.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled on business
2  Thank wasif20
Derrick S, Manager at University Inn Washington DC, responded to this reviewResponded May 25, 2017

Dear Guest,

The hotel is under new management and ownership. We invite you to stay with us again and would love to welcome you back. Please contact us directly and mention this review so that we can take good care of you and your next reservation.