“Modern and very clean”

Ranked #27 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Huntington, New York
“Modern and very clean”
Reviewed October 5, 2010

Spent three nights at the hotel. Excellent location, clean rooms, nicely decorated, seems quite new inside, friendly staff. Not much room in bathroom for makeup, etc., Would definitely return.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (665)
  • Hebrew first
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed October 4, 2010

We were very pleased with our stay at the Dupont and will return next time we are in Washington. We went as a couple in our late twenties, so this review is probably most appropriate for a similar trip.

Do yourself a favor and stay in the Level Nine rooms/suites as the renovations and service were superb and worth the additional cost. Two main perks come along with this stay. A complimentary breakfast each morning (at the cafe or lounge) and a complimentary mini-bar with top shelf liquor, water, beer etc. The bar is restocked every day and there's additional beverages and snacks in the lounge if you run out. These two amenities gave us the feeling of an all-inclusive in the middle of Washington.

Navigating to the hotel was a bit tough with traffic but check-in went pretty smoothly. We were escorted to our junior suite and given a brief explanation of all the amenities (heated tile floors, heated towel rack, remote control window blinds, bathroom flat screen, etc). The room itself is a bit small (huge bed) but the bathroom (oversized stall shower and jacuzzi tub) and balcony make up for it. Each suite has floor to ceiling windows and the balcony had good views down to Dupont Circle (see pictures). Nice for people watching and having day/night cocktails. Here I'd suggest talking with the hotel to request a room with a view of the circle. I could tell from the street that certain balconies had obstructed views.

If you want to explore, you're a few blocks from the metro and there's a bunch of restaurants nearby. Some of the trendier restaurants would require a cab or metro ride though, too far to walk. DC is expensive though. I'd suggest eating out for dinner and then going back to the room for the free drinks and water. The hotel bar/restaurant seemed to have a good menu (but didn't try it) and we liked breakfast.

We noticed the front desk recognized us as we walked through the lobby and always asked about our stay and if we needed anything. We got turn-down service every night with chocolates and a clean bathroom. The hotel seems to really put a lot of attention and service towards the level nine guests and it adds a lot to the experience.

in short:

the pros: bathroom (huge!), balcony and complimentary mini-bar. polite staff, emphasis on service. free wi-fi.
the cons: parking expensive ($40 I think), easy metro but must walk to other city sites, air-conditioner was a bit noisy (we didn't call to have repaired)

Also, maybe we were lucky, but try calling the hotel if you're checking rates as they offered us a good package.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed October 4, 2010

I loved this hotel! Its trendy, yet approachable atmosphere and incredible location make this hotel the ideal place to stay in DC. The friendly hotel staff, comfortable and well-decorated sleeping rooms, and excellent food were the highlights of my stay. I hosted a meeting at the hotel and our guests couldn't have been more pleased. The Dupont staff anticipated and accommodated all of our needs, exceeding all expectations. I would recommend this hotel to anyone visiting DC, either for work or pleasure.

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed September 28, 2010

Although the hotel is very nice and in a great location, I would not stay there again for a couple reasons. I want coffee when I get up, period. There are no pots in the room and even if you're willing to spend $16 for a small pot, room service doesn't open until 630am. I had early meetings and didn't have time to leave the hotel beforehand. Also, the lighting in the bathroom is more like mood lighting so you can't apply makeup easily. Trivial for some, I'm sure, but it was a hassle and not enjoyable in light of the hectic schedule we had. Everything else was fine, although they did seem understaffed at times or didn't plan well for such a large group. The staff was friendly but I would only recommend after pointing out what I consider to be the negatives.

Hartford, Connecticut
Reviewed September 27, 2010

The rooms are clean and comfortable. The cafe serves great food especially breakfast. The staff is nice and helpful. Now the bar side...... Different story. I missed lunch time at the cafe so I was looking to grab a bite on the bar side. My starter waitress was pretty good and prompt with my drink right away. I ordered some basic fried calamari which came out in about 10 minutes. When a second waitress came by I asked from some red sauce, like marinara to dip the calamari because although the spicy mayo tasted great it was too heavy for fried food. Nearly 20 minutes later my originally waitress came by to check on me and apparently she was not told about my request for a side of sauce... And so another 7 minutes later I got a TINY side of chopped onions that had a little red sauce on it.  My calamari now is cold and rubber like and as soon as I take a bite..here comes my pasta dish. So I put the calamari aside and try to eat what actually looked hot and fresh.
This pasta dish was a cross between what tasted like stroganoff and lemon francaise sauce. Both of which I like separately but not together. The vegetables in it was half cooked and so was the thick lasagna style flat pasta. Just awful. I told my first waitress when she came to check on me that I didn't like anything but my chamomile tea, when she suggested to bring me a sandwich instead, but seeing that at this point I sat here for over an hour and I'm pregnant eating for two, I was not gonna wait for a chicken wrap. A few minutes later the second waitress comes by again ( the one who forgot to tell the first one about my "sauce" request and offers to bring me the check... Should have offered dessert... But then again she was not even my waitress and so I said I'll take the check. She dropps it off 1 minute later.... No Pen though... So I sit there like an idiot for another 4 minutes. Didn't want to bother the bartender for it who seems to be the one actually working and busy running around.  So this bright second waitress comes back again to take the check I couldn't sign. When I say " sure... You can take it if you give me a pen first so I can actually fill it out. She laughs and says " ohh ok... Very nice ring by the way...." ... Yep... That's what she had to say.
Well... This pregnant girl with the nice rock is usually an over-tipper, who usually is very generous...but also has been in the restaurant industry for 12 years, and knows a good server from a snob.  I was charged for the crappy pasta, the cold calamari and my tea which came to 35$. So I was nice enough to tip 3$. Most people would not have left anything at all. If I did this to a costumer at any of the 3 places I worked at I would have been fired on the spot.
So besides that, the hotel is great... I just wish the tv in my room had a signal for any of the good channels or at least 40% of the channels that's offered.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
GMDupont, General Manager at The Dupont Circle, responded to this review, October 1, 2010
Dear Kjo529,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review of your stay here at The Dupont Hotel. I would like to genuinely apologize for your experience as this is completely unacceptable. This is unexpected and not indicative of the service philosophy we champion at The Dupont Hotel and certainly not representative of the style we have become known for. Please contact me directly as I would like to discuss your stay further as to assure that this does not happen to another guest. Again, I am sorry and hope that you will provide us with the opportunity to redeem ourselves.

Scott Dawson
Area General Manager
Seattle
Reviewed September 26, 2010

I stayed here in September 2010. The hotel is in a great location with many restaurants and coffee shops nearby. The staff is all very professional. Our group needed lots of taxis and Kaleb Dawit was especially helpful. We couldn't have been on time to our many events without him hailing all our taxis. The rooms are nicely appointed and even have heated bathroom floors.

The maid staff was a little noisy during the morning that I tried to sleep in - some loud door shutting.

Appleton, Wisconsin
Reviewed September 24, 2010

The Dupont Hotel is located in a great location with plenty of trendy shops and restaurants nearby and about a 1 1/2 blocks from a Metro station. Upon check-in we were ushered to two different rooms - no operating room safe - before we finally arrived at our third room and it had an operating safe. Beyond that initial hiccup, the Dupont's staff was pleasant and helpful, with the exception of the Concierge, who was absolutely tremendous. We stayed for a week and were generally pleased - the decor was a bit trendy for our taste but it would probably appeal greatly to others. In general, we very much enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
GMDupont, General Manager at The Dupont Circle, responded to this review, September 27, 2010
Dear CCTrav,

Thank you very much for writing a review of your stay here at The Dupont Hotel. While we are glad that you enjoyed your stay, we would like to apologize that you had to be moved to a different guest room due to an inoperative safe. It is never our goal to inconvenience our guest, but instead, wish to make your stay away from home as enjoyable as possible. We would like to inform you that at this time, we are in the midst of replacing our guest room safes, so that we may resolve this issue. We hope that this experience has not deterred you from selecting to stay with us on future visits to Washington. Please feel free to contact me directly if you would like to discuss your stay further. We hope to welcome you back to Washington soon.

Scott Dawson