“Fine for business...but...”
Review of The Dupont Circle

The Dupont Circle
Ranked #25 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed March 26, 2010

The hotel is fine. There's nothing, per se, wrong with it but I'd not give it very high marks.

The Pros:
- Staff was very attentive and helpful. Check-in was a breeze and they gave me excellent recommendations for restaurants and walking directions.
- Awesome location - Dupont Circle is near the Metro and numerous museums and other landmarks.
- Bed was comfortable.
- Unlike other reviews, I had no problem with the temperature/AC in the room. Worked fine.
- Wireless internet was very good and didn't have any problems with it - worked perfectly.

The Cons:
- The room I was in was SMALL. Tiny. I think one of the tiniest rooms I've ever stayed in. There was very little space to move around in.
- I'm not sure why the hotel put a single person in a two double bed room. Very odd. The two double beds also contributed to the space problem.
- I find the new style "no door" showers odd. Not bad but odd. This is the second hotel I've stayed at with them and just don't like them - water is all over everything!
- I didn't have a bathmat the first night (used an extra towel) but did get one the second night. Still water everywhere.
- The bathroom floors don't really heat up. I left the heater on overnight the second night and there was no real difference. Nice idea, Dupont, but doesn't work.
- While the beds were fine and the room was comfy (temp-wise), the outside of the hotel was very loud! I was awoken numerous times both nights with trucks and other outside noise. I know this is metro area (I live in a metro area) but the noise was very irritating. A big part of it is that they have a wall of windows - but they aren't well-insulated for sound. This is only a 9 story hotel so you can't get up "high enough" to not hear the street noises.

Overall, if it were for business, I'd stay again. I'd likely not if I was coming with my family to DC.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank Leigh B
GMDupont, Area General Manager at The Dupont Circle, responded to this reviewResponded March 29, 2010

Dear LeighBC,

Thank you very much for providing us with feedback regarding your stay.

We are delighted that you enjoyed our staff, location, and bed. However, we were disappointed to hear that you did not enjoy the design of the room. I would like to apologize that the room type that you had requested was not available when you checked in. We attempt to provide our guests with a room as soon as they arrive and quite possibly, when you checked in, the only available room type was one with two beds. If you would like to contact me directly and provide further information regarding your stay; I will gladly do research to find out if that was the case. Also, if you would like, we can notate in your profile that you would prefer a king bed when you stay, we can take care of that as well.

I hope that you will give us an opportunity to redeem ourselves and welcome you back to The Dupont Hotel. I look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed March 25, 2010

I was here for 2 days of business meetings. It is in a great location. I would stay here again if I had to, but I would not choose to go back. Minor problems and oversights become inexcusable at and above $300 a night. Although their website says that they've done millions of dollars in renovations, it was not apparent on the 3rd floor.

The meeting areas and services were above average, as was the quality of the food that was served.

There is free high speed internet that actually works. This is a big plus.

The bed is very, very comfortable and the smallish room is acceptably clean.

You get free bottled water. But there is no iron or ironing board. Or face cloths. The housekeeper also did not replenish the 2 hand towels that were there when I checked in. And the bath soap is liquid rather than solid.

The hot water was only lukewarm on one day. And, as other reviewers have pointed out, the bathroom is in the bedroom - literally. So you might not want to share a room with someone whom you do not know very well.

The toilet is separated from the shower by only half a piece of frosted glass, so the toilet needs to be dried off after you shower.

And both the toilet and shower are separated from the bedroom area by only another piece of frosted glass, which does not close well or completely and also does not extend completely to the wall and ceiling. So, again, modesty and privacy is somewhat compromised.

The decor is a bit odd and the elevators are slow and inadequate (in size and number).

The hotel services book in the room is not up to date, because, among other things, stuff that it tells you is there is not there. Like an ATM in the lobby. There isn't one.

For $150 a night this is a great place. For $300 or more I would go elsewhere.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank 0567cg

Dear 0567cg,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review regarding your stay here at The Dupont Hotel.

We truly value your feedback and are glad that your meeting was a success here. I would like to apologize for the inconsistencies of your experience with housekeeping as well as the difficulties you had with your guest room bathroom. I would like to inform you that irons and ironing boards are delivered to your guest room upon request and that we are working on updating our in room guest directories as we speak and will be able to provide our guests with the most up to date information. However, if there are any items that may cause confusion, you are always welcome to contact our guest services center.

We hope that you will change your mind about us and give us another opportunity to welcome you back to The Dupont Hotel. Should you require any further assistance regarding your stay or would like to provide me with further comment regarding your stay, please do not hesitate to contact my office directly.

Reviewed March 23, 2010

We spent a couple of days mid-week at the Dupont Hotel. It is located right on Dupont Circle with Embassy Row nearby as well as a metro station, a couple museums, nice cafes and restaurants, and a 15 minute walk to the White House.

The staff was very helpful and attentive during our stay. The room is a bit trendy but still quite comfortable. It had heated floors in the bathroom, which had glass walls and doors limiting privacy a bit, a very comfortable bed, a flat screen TV, free WiFi, but no iron and ironing board. One call to the front desk however produced them at the door within minutes.

The bar was hopping even mid-week with drinks and food readily available and good service considering how full they were. If you grab a window seat you will have a nice view of Dupont Circle and the park so you can just relax and watch the scene outside.

I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel to friends and colleagues or to stay again as a guest.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 15, 2010

My husband and I were looking for a luxurious weekend getaway in the DC area. We heard through a friend The Dupont Hotel had recently completed a major renovation adding it's exclusive LEVEL 9. From the moment we slipped our key into the private elevator we knew we'd arrived. Our concierge, Michael was so attentive we couldn't help but feel like celebrities. Our room was modern yet cozy and the amenities were beyond expectation. We were greeted with fresh fruit, cheese and crackers and a top shelf selection of wine and liquor. The bathroom was beautiful and luxurious with it's heated tiled floors and romantic jacuzzi bathtub. We made use of the lounge area and had the most delicious pate and strawberry finger sandwiches. The bed was cozy. The service was fabulous and we can't wait to go back. Great location. Well done!

1  Thank Sigmund267
Reviewed March 14, 2010

My boyfriend and I stayed at The Dupont Hotel a few weekends ago and loved everything about our stay. The entire staff at the hotel really seemed to make our stay worthwhile. The Concierge gave us some great local ideas for things to do and offered to make us reservations for tours of the city, which was really nice even though we did not take a tour. My boyfriend noticed that every time we where in the lobby they someone always said hello. He travels more than I do, so I guess I didn’t notice. I agree with other reviews about the bathrooms, they are a bit modern even for my taste, but they do look nice. We will definitely go back the next time we going to Washington D.C.

Reviewed February 24, 2010

We stayed at The Dupont Hotel for a Valentine’s getaway weekend and totally enjoyed everything. The rooms are really nice, but we would have liked a coffee maker in the room even though it was free in the lobby. The heated floors in the bathroom were a first. The bar was really nice also, our server was pretty cool, I forgot his name but she was great. We had a table in the corner which had a great view of the circle, definitely get the calamari – really good! The bar definitely gets busy so you may have to wait a few minutes for your order, but it’s worth the wait not to mention it makes the atmosphere feel like a real bar. Everyone at this hotel was so nice, the girl who checked us in on Friday helped us on Saturday and Sunday with ideas for places to go and tourist things to do. Lastly, the location is very legit. The subway system was I think like across the street, but is not needed don't think due to proximity to other things.

Reviewed February 19, 2010

I stayed at this hotel for one night this week on a business trip. The location and overall look and feel of this hotel were great, but if they want to maintain their upscale image, they need to train their staff better. Example: the bright, friendly representative who checked me in told me that I could have dinner in the hotel restaurant just around the corner from the check-in desk. When I went downstairs for dinner, I was told by the hotel manager that the restaurant was closed for construction and would not open until later that week. Not ideal after a grueling day of long-distance travel. In the end, I was able to eat in the bar, but it does not seem unreasonable for staff to know that their restaurant is closed for construction. The food (vegetarian club) in the bar was absolutely delicious, but I am not sure it was worth waiting 30 minutes for it. The thumping techno music did not make for a relaxing environment for either the solo guest, or others trying to have a conversation. Perhaps some bossa nova instead? Still trendy, but gentler on the ear.
Other glitches: for personal reasons, I need to have a fridge in my room. Having called the hotel days in advance, I was assured that I would just need to request one upon arrival. Upon arrival, I was told that they weren't sure if they could get one to me, or that I might have to use the hotel fridge. I was told that they would call me to clarify. Having heard nothing, I went back downstairs 45 minutes later and the staff member told me that she had forgotten to ask the manager about the matter. In the end, the helpful manager sorted it all out, but it was annoying. At breakfast, I had to ask the waiter for a newspaper twice before it came. Again, this was not really a big problem, but as there were only two other people dining at the time, it's not as if the staff were rushed off their feet. I would have welcomed a kettle or coffee maker in the room. It's nice to have complimentary coffee in the lobby, but what if one prefers tea, or wants to have a cup of coffee before getting up in the morning? The spacious bathrooms would be much improved by the addition of a shelf or two for placement of toiletries, etc. The Kiehl's products provided are lovely though.
I think this is a good hotel, but feel that with a bit more customer service training and some adjustment of amenities, it could be a great one.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled on business
3  Thank MainSt
GMDupont, Area General Manager at The Dupont Circle, responded to this reviewResponded February 23, 2010

Dear MainSt,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay here at The Dupont Hotel. We truly appreciate your feedback and hope to make your stay as well as our future guests’ stays better.

I am expressing my sincerest apologies for the times where our team missed an opportunity to make your stay a success. I can understand how the experiences you encountered can be frustrating, and can also see how a great stay was made into a good one. Part of providing memorable luxury to our guests is acknowledging the small details that are often overlooked. Things that our team should have picked up on instantly and felt empowered to follow through on, unfortunately came up short. While I am glad that our managers were able to step in and resolve the situations that arose, I would like to let you know that we do not consider the mishaps that happened during your stay as minor mistakes. Fine tuning our team is something that we are forever working on and hope to make our hotel stand out above the rest.

We hope that you will stay with us again so that we may show you that we are committed to excellence.