“Great location, good staff.”
Review of The Dupont Circle

The Dupont Circle
Ranked #27 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Virginia Beach, Virginia
“Great location, good staff.”
Reviewed October 10, 2013

The location right on DuPont Circle is a joy. There is a Starbucks right across the street as well as Kramer Books and Afterwords. Since this is the center of DC's gay and lesbian district, there are many good restaurants within walking distance. The on-site restaurant is a fairly typical hotel restaurant. The bar's happy hour from 6 to 8 is crowded beyond belief - beer and cocktails discounted, but not the wine!

Room Tip: The "special" ninth floor is too expensive for what you get. However, a balcony is a joy f...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Hotel M, Manager at The Dupont Circle, responded to this review, October 11, 2013
Hello, thank you for being a recent guest of our hotel. We are happy you enjoyed our thriving location and hope you enjoyed your stay with us. We thank you for you taking the time to leave us your review. We do welcome you back as a guest should you return to DC.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (665)
  • Hebrew first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed October 10, 2013

We got locked in our room but hotel was very accommodating; The hotel has a simple but elegant modern style. And Dupont Circle is one of the best locations for staying in the District of Columbia: close proximity to restaurants, bookstores (lots of those), and Massachusetts Avenue (Embassy Row), make certain to visit the Gandhi statue ....love the heated bathroom floors!!!! Great hotel and location: who could want more?

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Hello, we appreciate your kind review of our hotel. We are glad you appreciated our modern style (heated bathroom floors and all!) and great location. Thank you for leaving your notes on the area for other guests who are interested in what is nearby. We hope to have you as a guest again in the future.
Birmingham
Reviewed October 10, 2013

My second stay in Washington DC. Having stayed the first time around the Capitol building, I learned that the area lost it's vibe in the evenings. I was looking for a hotel in the heart of an evening buzz and this hotel hit the mark perfectly. It's contemporary in an understated way, well maintained and in a great location right in the heart of Dupont Circle. Plentiful cafes and restaurants within a walk of a few blocks and about three of four minutes stroll to the Metro system. The big plus point of the hotel is the bar - great cocktails, really popular with the local smart crowd and if, as happened in our case, the weather is good, sitting outside watching the world come and go is a nice way to take the weight off your feet. The staff are super-friendly and attentive and the hotel feels welcoming. Breakfast was good and well priced. Only slight negative was the room size which was a little snug but we did choose the most economical option. I'm sure that there are bigger suites. Bathroom a little dated but having travelled extensively in the US, I'm not sure bathrooms design is their strong suit. Would recommend to young couples/friends in particular.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Hotel M, Manager at The Dupont Circle, responded to this review, October 10, 2013
Thank you for your thoughtful review. We are happy you enjoyed the vibrancy of our area and the popularity of Bar Dupont. We hope you enjoyed your return trip to DC and we appreciate your compliments to our staff. We welcome you back next time you visit.
San Antonio
Reviewed October 9, 2013

My stay at the Dupont Circle hotel in Washinton D.C. was excellent. My experience with the staff from desk clerks, housekeeping, bar and restaurant was great. The rooms are small but very nice. The location is very centralized with restaurants and coffee shops within walking distance. In fact Starbucks is across the street. If this is a hotel you are considering go for it, you wont be disappointed.

Room Tip: They offer larger rooms on the ninth floor at a higher price.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for being a guest of The Dupont Circle Hotel. We are happy to hear that you had an excellent stay and appreciate your recommendation of our hotel. We thank you for taking a moment to leave us your review and hope to see you again on future travels to DC.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed October 8, 2013

Once again, the DCH hits the mark. Just had my wedding party on Level 9 (the penthouse patio--closest thing to NY in DC) and, with almost no guidance or prodding on our part, everything went off flawlessly. Food and drink flowed, no gaps in service, and just the most pleasant staff you could ask for. We also had out-of-town family guests stay in the hotel and they were truly happy. I've reviewed the hotel restaurant, Café Dupont (where I eat at least once a week) and Bar Dupont before. So, I'm happy to add to the list of reasons why this is one of my favorite places in DC.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Hotel M, Manager at The Dupont Circle, responded to this review, October 9, 2013
Hello CEMartin, we thank you for being a return guest to our hotel. We are so pleased that you chose us to host your wedding party and that you felt it was handled flawlessly. To be listed as one of your favorite places in DC is a huge compliment to us and we thank you for your kind review. Looking forward to your next visit!
London, England
Reviewed October 8, 2013

I stayed here from Sat-Fri on a business trip in September 2013. The weather was very very nice this week - more about that later.

The hotel itself is on Dupont Circle itself which is basically a big roundabout and is where city centre eases into residential in Washington DC. It is my favourite area (having previously stayed in the excellent Palomar Hotel just down the road.) There are plenty of fast food places (Subway and Starbucks are across the road), restaurants and bars around and it is safe enough to walk around all the time as it is so busy as several roads meet here. There is also a CVS pharmacy yards away for your convenience shopping if you want to avoif the mini-bar (you do want to avoid the mini-bar I'm pretty sure.)

The hotel itself is very well staffed, plenty of doormen to open doors when coming and going or to help with luggae. The reception is very good too, offering maps and restaurant info without being asked.

The rooms are modern and clean and the whole place has been refurbished very recently I read somewhere. Certainly everything in the room was like new and the bathroom (no bath - just a shower) clean and fully functioning complete with adjustable under floor heating.

The minibar is way too clever though. You open the door as usual but there would be no emptying it to put my own stuff in. Oh no, as soon as you open a compartment to remove something, it sends a message to add it to your bill. A couple of $4.50 Diet Cokes later I went over to CVS, bought 12 cans for $6 and made full use of the ice machine that is present on every floor. There's an ice bucket in the room so I recommend you sort out your water and drinks etc. to avoid the minibar prices.

Noise... Now this did not bother me at all because I like to hear life going on outside, but I know it would have bothered many people. Bar Dupont downstairs has an extensive outside terrace which stretches along the front of the hotel by the circle itself. I was on the floor right above this and although the windows have wooden shutters on and were all shut, the noise was loud with people out there until 2am every night including Sunday (the weather was very warm this week bear in mind). You can hear people's conversations and one night some lads were singing Opera at about midnight - not very well either. They also had a DJ a couple of nights playing Premier League footballer type 'R&B' - you know, no singing as such, just a 10 minute long thumping drum beat with some occasional talking in it (rapping?) This did stop or move indoors at 10pm I noticed. So if noise bothers you, ask for a high floor. I did not go into the bar all week because it was nearly always full when I was passing. It was clearly very popular among the well to do of DC though. I also did not use room service or the restaurant so cannot comment on these.

The Dupont Circle Metro is about 50 yards away so from here you can head off into everywhere else once you've worked out the colours of the lines and the operation of the ticket machine (which I believe was once a challenge on 'the Krypton Factor'). Personally I like walking and Washington is a City where you can walk to most places (including the free to enter Washington Zoo which is only 1.6 miles from the hotel on the same side of town.)

All in all would I recommend this hotel? Yes, because it's a nice 10 min walk into the centre and the White House etc. but not right in the middle of the city (and it's 8 lane roads to cross all the time.) It's friendly and clean. The TV had lots and lots of channels and all seemed to work fine.

Room Tip: Go high to avoid the bar noise
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank ronmanager
Hotel M, Manager at The Dupont Circle, responded to this review, October 8, 2013
Hi Ron, we truly appreciate having you as a guest at The Dupont Circle Hotel. We thank you for your kind and well thought out review. You explained the area well and our great location makes it easy for our guests to get around the city. Your compliments of our hotel and staff are much appreciated as well. We hope to have you back as a guest again.
Reviewed October 6, 2013

I came to DC for a weekend vacation with my boyfriend and unfortunately, we had some issues when getting to the hotel. First of all the first room they put us in was the size of a closet and the bathroom smelt like sulfur. I had gone down to the front to ask them to change my room and I am pleased to say the man working behind the desk switched our rooms right away. I would recommend this hotel for its great location as well as the fabulous bar attached.

• Stayed October 2013
Hotel M, Manager at The Dupont Circle, responded to this review, October 7, 2013
Hi Sarajo, thank you for your recent stay with us. We always like to accommodate our guests' needs, so we are happy to hear that our staff quickly made your stay more comfortable. We thank you for taking time to leave a review and hope you enjoyed the rest of your stay.