“Friendly, comfortable hotel”
Review of The Dupont Circle

The Dupont Circle
Ranked #25 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed August 2, 2013

Stayed here for 4 nights, July 4th weekend... It was our first time in Washington and we loved it. The staff are friendly and courteous,the location is good , with a variety of bars and restaurants nearby and convenient for sight seeing... The rooms are clean and comfortable though the bathroom layout is a little open ! On the whole we would recommend this hotel without reservation. An extremely pleasant stay, would definitely return.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank normah62
Hotel M, Manager at The Dupont Circle, responded to this reviewResponded August 3, 2013

Thank you for being our guest and taking the time to leave such a nice review. We are happy we were able to make your first trip to Washington such a pleasant one. We are proud to provide our guests great service and glad you found our team to be both friendly and courteous. We look forward to seeing you again on your next visit!

There are newer reviews for The Dupont Circle

Reviewed July 30, 2013 via mobile

Beautiful, sleek hotel in DuPont Circle. Convenient to the metro. The bar is hopping with after-work crowd. Enjoyed feeling part of the neighborhood scene. If you are doing a lot of sightseeing & museum hopping and want to stay outside the fray this is a great choice.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed July 28, 2013

It kinda felt like you were in the place to be when you walk into the lobby. Very contemporary, sleek, but welcoming feel. Man, this place is busy! Lots of people hanging out at the bar--every night really, not just on Saturday when we checked in; but in the best possible-people watching kind of way. I totally felt like we belonged there in our tourist gear and 9 and 6 year old girls in tow. Our room was small, but totally functional for our family. It would be too tight if you needed a pack-n-play or if you don't like to put your clothes in the closet and keep them in the suitcase. I was worried about the bathroom/privacy issue based on other reviews I had read, but it was perfectly fine. The sink area is in view of the one bed, but the toilet is separated by that area by a glass/frosted door and then the shower is separated from the toilet by a partial door/curtain. I don't feel I heard "bathroom" noises any more than I do when we stay in a hotel that has an actual wall separating the bathroom, unless it has been a bigger suite. The double beds were fine for us, and there was a little window seat area that our 6 year old decided to sleep on. Yes, some light comes through the shutters in the am, but I feel this would be an issue if you are used to sleeping in a room with windows that totally block out the light. We asked for 2 extra bath towel and they brought us a bigger pile. We could have used a couple extra places to hang the towels used and unused, but we managed. Everything is close to here. The Metro stop being so close is such a plus. It's not a necessity, since you WILL walk a ton in DC, but it was nice knowing that at the end of a long day, that once we got off at our stop, we only had a block left to go! Breakfast for the 4 of us at the hotel was $71--but we expect that staying in the city. I loved people watching/eavesdropping in this location. I loved hearing conversations about "networking" and wanting a job that is "editorial and political," and all by a bunch of 20-30 year old somethings. The uniform of choice for the locals seems to be suit and tie for the males and a cute little dress that you'd where to a wedding reception for the females. If you have little ones, be careful when crossing the street in the circle. Just because the traffic is stopped in the outer circle, doesn't mean it's stopped for the inner circle. Our 6 year old stopped just in time to realize that the "walk" sign was not on for her to continue crossing when she reached the median. Anyway, we totally enjoyed the hotel and the area!

4  Thank ZandGmama
Hotel M, Manager at The Dupont Circle, responded to this reviewResponded July 28, 2013

Many thanks for being a guest of The Dupont Circle Hotel and for taking the time to share such kind words with us. It's an extreme pleasure to host first time guests, and we're happy that you and your family enjoyed so many elements of your visit. Whether watching from the sidelines or joining in on the humming atmosphere of our facility, we're thankful to have you as a part of the experience, and we'd love the chance to host you again! Many thanks for your stay and review; we hope to see more of you down the road!

Reviewed July 26, 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights - wish it could have been longer.

We were visiting DC while on a holiday around the USA from NZ. We found the hotel very conveniently located to the major sights - an easy walk to the White House, and then another day walked down to the National Mall to do some of the Smithsonian Museums. It also has a Metro station close by which we used a couple of times. It is also close to the excellent Phillips Collection gallery of Modern Art. As well as the hotel cafe, are plenty of great eating options nearby - our favourite was Kramerbooks and Afterwords Cafe just across the road from the hotel, with my personal favourite being (for breakfast) the 'Barak Omablet' - an omelette filled with Obama's family chilli recipe chilli.

The hotel itself was great - the staff were very friendly and helpful. The room was clean and well maintained. The bed was very comfortable, and the noise levels were surprisingly low given that we were overlooking Dupont Circle, and expected maybe the odd siren or something like that through the night, but never had our sleep disturbed once.

We would definitely stay here again if (hopefully when!) we next return to Washington.

2  Thank Dave1063
Hotel M, Manager at The Dupont Circle, responded to this reviewResponded July 27, 2013

Thanks for being a guest of The Dupont Circle Hotel and for taking the time to share such kind words with us. It's an immense pleasure to share our region and facilities with first time visitors, and I'm happy to hear that our outgoing team was able to make your stay all the more enjoyable. With so much of them both to see and explore, we hope that you'll return again soon!

Reviewed July 25, 2013

I recently stayed at this hotel for a sorority convention, and I can't say enough great things about my stay and the staff. The location of the hotel is central to many parts of the city, especially nightlife fun. If you don't want to go out, they have an amazing bar in the hotel. The staff was very helpful! The doorman, Deandre, Debeebe (sp), and the young man that worked with Deandre that handed out water as soon as we walked in the door on those hot DC days were always willing to help my mother and I. Also, Thomas and Carl from the Hotel Cafe were awesome and friendly! Thomas gave us directions to get to the MLK memorial, and he saw us later that day and asked about our trip! I was amazed because that's so uncommon these days. I will recommend this hotel to anyone visiting the area, and I will most definitely stay here again!

-Aterra Lowe

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank aterralo4
Hotel M, Manager at The Dupont Circle, responded to this reviewResponded July 26, 2013

Thanks for being our guest and for taking the time to extol the many services of our outgoing and dedicated team. Guest satisfaction is our ultimate responsibility, and I'm happy to hear that our crew lent such exceptional services to you stay. Our prime location is merely a snippet of the offerings we have to afford, and I'm glad that the outgoing services of our team lent to such a positive review of your stay. We're continually evolving and growing as a result of such feedback, and we look forward to sharing our growth with you. Please reach out the next time you visit the area; we'd love to share more of our unparalleled hospitality with you!

Reviewed July 25, 2013

Looking at some of the previous reviews I wonder if I was at the same place!
We stayed during the recent heat wave and at the same time as a huge conference of beautiful ladies dressed all in white and red. We had a great time. The hotel was obviously stretched with the conference, but that did not detract from the friendly, courteous help we received from the staff.
The room was comfortable and well equipped with an unusual "wet area" bathroom arrangement. The air con' worked fine. The daily two bottles of complementary water were very welcome as we were out sightseeing every day of our 3 day stay. The breakfast in the downstairs restaurant was very nice.
The hotel is ideally situated for numerous restaurants and the Metro station is just over the roundabout. You do not need a car in DC. The metro, buses and walking are all you need.
Of particular note was the friendly, very helpful assistance we received from the concierge, Michael. Michael went to considerable trouble on our behalf over an issue we had with the return of our hire car. He could not have been more helpful:- a gentleman and a professional. Thank you Michael.

Room Tip: The hotel sits between two roads which join the DuPont roundabout. You will not avoid the noise of t...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Hotel M, Manager at The Dupont Circle, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2013

Thanks so much for being our guest and for taking the time to share such kind accolades of your experience. We're exceedingly proud of our outgoing team, and I'm glad to hear that Michael was able to exemplify this for you. We'll certainly pass your praises along, and we look forward to your return and the possibility of sharing more of The Dupont Circle Hotel with you!

Reviewed July 23, 2013

Giving this hotel 4 stars is hard for me given the stay we just experienced. That said, I want to give a fair review for what is probably normal vs our trip...

Pros:

Location couldn't possibly be better. Easy access to bus, metro, & tons of shops and restaurants.
Valet parking was $35/nt. Expensive however actually cheaper than other hotels in the area.
Bed was super comfy
Room service menu was quite extensive and food was delicious and served quickly.

Bad:

Our bathroom didn't have a vent or fan of any kind. One shower would cause our whole room to be steamy and a bit smelly. There was a window but it was extremely hot outside so that offered no help.

Our room must have been directly above their ballroom. The first night we were there our room literally shook with the base until 11:30pm. I've never experienced anything that bad/loud before. We couldn't even hear our TV and, needless to say, our infant son couldn't sleep which made it even worse. We called the front desk and at first they said it would be over at 10:30. Then later we were told it would actually be another hour. I never complain but this was terrible - only getting a, "sorry ma'am," doesn't really cut it. I'm super easy going and understand that they're making a ton of money off the wedding and peanuts off of me. That said, there was no offer of a different room or even a $5 Starbucks card for the added caffeine I was definitely going to need after that crappy night of sleep. Heck, maybe even just a glass of wine so that I'd pass out? Just something to say, "Yep, you're right. This sucks. Sorry."

To me, it's the little things that get me to come back to a hotel. I wouldn't dissuade anyone from staying here but just be sure you ask about possible events, get a room on an upper level, and if something goes wrong, don't expect anything back.

Room Tip: Get at least the 3rd floor or above if staying over the weekend. This should put you further away f...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family