WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of The Dupont Circle

The Dupont Circle
Ranked #40 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
Chicago, IL
“Hip Hotel in a Great Location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2013

When I lived in DC, DuPont Circle was one of my favorite spots to go out. This hotel is perfectly located for somebody who wants easy access to "Downtown" DC, but still wants to be in the middle of good dining and entertainment options. It's also very well appointed and has a nice modern design. The bathrooms do have a glass door, so be warned of that if you aren't too, ahem, comfortable with your roommate. I also enjoyed the electronic "Do Not Disturb" function - saves on paper and can't be dismantled by anybody other than you!

The staff was very friendly and check-in was a breeze. Each time I approached the desk, they courteously offered to help me get a cab or directions to my next stop, which was appreciated.

My only piece of criticism - and it's a fairly small one - is that my minibar was not stocked. Normally not a concern, but I had dinner (and several drinks) on the flight in, dropped my bags and immediately met a friend out for more drinks. Needless to say, by the time I got back to the room I needed a snack. Room service ends at 10:30 and the mini bar was barren...in the end, it's for the best because I woke up with no regret of late night munchies, but some crackers may have staved off a hangover.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Hotel M, Manager at The Dupont Circle, responded to this review, February 15, 2013
Thank you for a wonderful review! We are happy to hear how much you enjoyed your stay. We apologize if the mini bar was not up to your expectations, and we are looking into this issues. We hope that you'll join us again soon, and we look forward to earning a full 5 stars from you next time!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (612)
  • Hebrew first
Camarillo, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2013

Simply put, as a frequent business traveler (average 180 overnights a year) staying in 4-5 Star properties, this one took my breath away! From the time I drove up and my interactions with Valet to check in at the front desk, the staff was extraordinary and service oriented. Then when I go in the room OMG it was awesome! My first time staying at this property, and a bowl of fruit awaited me that I could actually eat...it was FRESH, a welcome note from the GM, and the ultimate sleek modern room with creature comforts that we're understated but right on point. The frosted bathroom and shower doors, and ultra mordern sink, and HEATED bathroom floors! What?????? I am telling you, I did not want to leave. The restaurant staff were just as attentive as everyone else on property, and the Onion Soup was to die for!!! Even bumped into a family friend in the lobby area ( who was staying at another hotel blocks away, but having a brief meeting at the The DuPont Circle Hotel..looking for quality service and high end accommodations...Ritz Carlton watch out!!! I have already canceled an upcoming stay in April from the RC even though the room type I want is not available...I will trade the space this time for an awesome experience!

Room Tip: 2 minutes from DuPont circle metro line...never had it so good! Park across the street. Gym is sma...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for a terrific review! We are thrilled to hear how much you enjoyed your stay. It sounds like you truly took advantage of all of our amenities! We hope that you'll join us again upon your next visit to the DC area, and we look forward to your return!
Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2013

Valet parking returned my car to the front of the hotel with major scrapes and scratches to the passenger side doors -- about $5,000 worth of body work. Despite a police report attesting to the freshness of the scratches and the wall paint flakes dropped on the running board, after making me wait around for two hours, the hotel finally allowed us to speak to an assistant front desk manager who denied all responsibility, quite unpleasantly. A management trainee who had been sympathetic and quite certain that the hotel would compensate me for the damage changed his tune dramatically after the assistant front desk manager showed up.

My own insurance company will subrogate and sue the Dupont Circle Hotel.

I was attending a 100-person meeting at the hote lduring this incident, and the organizers of the event got involved in my dealings with the hotel,most helpfully. It looks as though the hotel doesn't want their business again, either.

Traveler beware.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank KGB_12
GMDupont, General Manager at The Dupont Circle, responded to this review, February 22, 2013
Dear KGB_12,

As you know I have tried to reached out to you regarding this matter in an attempt to have you clarify your comments here on Tripadvisor.

Here at the Dupont Circle Hotel, whilst being far from perfect, we do work very hard to look after our guests and I am proud to say we are honest, compassionate and transparent. We value our reputation and it is with this in mind that I write this response.

I am sympathetic that your car has been damaged but it did not happen at this Hotel. I have high definition video evidence to support this which I have shared with you. I would be happy to share this again, or with anyone reading this who would like a balanced view of what happened.

I would not write this if there was even a possibility that we were in any way responsible but there is not. I can be reached at scott_dawson@doylecollection.com by anyone wishing to balance their opinion.

Public forums such as this are a fantastic tool for travellers and businesses alike and I am grateful to have the chance to respond in such a manner so that those reading reviews are able to form somewhat balanced and objective opinions when choosing a hotel.

I regret that this incident occured but I hope you respect the fact that where appropriate I will absolutley defend the actions of my excellent team and Hotel.
toronto, canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2013

I stayed at the Dupont Circle Hotel in mid-January, just after Inauguration Day.The hotel is in a terrific location-15 minutes walk to White House, you can walk to Georgetown, or back.Bus and Metro transportation is a 2 minute walk away from the door of the hotel. The surrounding area has lovely homes to get an idea of the architecture styles of the city. The Dupont Circle park itself would be a charming spot to sit in the warmer weather-but not when I was there!! All in all, a fine htel, in a terrific location for a visit to Washington DC.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank freedom68
Thank you for an outstanding review! We are pleased to hear how much you enjoyed your stay. We hope that you'll join us in the Bar Dupont upon your return, and we look forward to seeing you again! Please come back soon!
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2013

Great location. Excelent breakfast. Superb service. Excelent choice.
I had minor problem with the vathroom window. They fixed whithin an hour and offered to change rooms.
I sent several packages bought in Amazon. Efficiently delivered to my room

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank JR10vuelve
Thank you for a terrific review! We are happy to hear how much you enjoyed your stay at the Dupont Circle Hotel. We hope that you'll join us again soon, and we look forward to your return!
Athens, Greece
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2013

Stayed here for a whole week visiting the US for an international educational program in April 2012. The hotel was booked by the organizers and I can only comment them on that. In brief:
Location: EXCELLENT! The Dupont Circle is a safe, trendy, stylish, happy area, fool of young people relaxing in the park area or sitting in the many cafes, bars and restaurants all around. It is half way between the centre of Washington and the phantastic monuments and cultural opportunities this city has to offer, and Georgetown which is definitely worth a visit, all in walking distance. I was together with my wife and we had a great time exploring the city or eating and drinking something at our favourite spot, Circa, just aroung the corner from the hotel.
Brekfast: Fine. It wasn't the usual boring buffet style, but one ordered from the restaurant menu, which I found great.
Rooms: One should be warned. If you are not traveling alone, rooms present a serious problem, since bathrooms are open and one gets no privacy at all. However the hotel staff did everything to help me with this. I asked for a room with a bathroom door and was presented with three different choices, before I settled on one actually intended for the disabled. Other than that decoration is modern and pleasant, nothing to complain about.
Restaurant-Bar: The hotel is a magnet for the young and the trendy, so if you fancy a drink you are in the perfect place. However please note that it may get very noisy in your room, especially on Saturdays. This was my only major complaint in this hotel, thankfuly it lasted only for the first night.
Staff: Very well trained, nice and accommodating.
To sum things up: If only I could come back to Washington and this hotel for another week!

Room Tip: Ask for one with a door! And a quite one!
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank PeripateticJohn
Thank you for an excellent review! We are elated to hear how much you enjoyed your stay. It is our prerogative to provide quality guest service to each and every one of our guests. We hope that you'll join us again soon upon your next visit to DC, and we look forward to your return to the Dupont Circle Hotel!
Windsor, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2013

This was our first time in Washington and selected the Dupont Circle because it was reasonably central. We weren't disapointed with either Washington or the Hotel. Fabulous city and superb hotel. We stayed for four nights in one of the huge 9th Floor Suites with dual aspect room give excellent views over the north and east of the city.
One advantage of the 9th floor is that you have your own lounge area where drinks and canapes are served each day at 5pm...happy hour in the bar at 4pm and then free drinks in the 9th floor lounge at 5pm...not that the whole trip was eating and drinking :-)
The hotel staff could not do too much for us, starting with our check-in with Dayonna, our personal introduction to the 9th Floor and our room from Cole (Guest Relations Manager) and fabulous restaurant recommendations from Siobhan.
We are now just trying to find a date to back to see the cherry blossom in late spring - can't wait and hope we get our favourite room (913)
Fantastic :-)

Room Tip: Push the boat out and go for a 9th Floor room...see if you can get a corner room
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank stan-and-doe
Hotel M, Manager at The Dupont Circle, responded to this review, February 13, 2013
Thank you for a terrific review! We are elated to hear how much you enjoyed your stay. We can assure you our team will be recognized for their efforts in assisting you. We hope that you'll join us in the Bar Dupont upon your return. Please come again soon!