“Excellent location, customer service and ambiance- rooms small”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of The Dupont Circle

The Dupont Circle
Ranked #35 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
West Orange, New Jersey
“Excellent location, customer service and ambiance- rooms small”
Reviewed May 31, 2011

The hotel is perfectly located near transportation and a vibrant neighborhood, the staff is helpful, friendly and responsive. The decor is uber-modern and lovely. The only downside is that the rooms are small for two people

Room Tip: ask for room that will not pick up noise from st
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (645)
  • Hebrew first
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed May 23, 2011

We stayed in this hotel in March with a group of friends. We were on the Penthouse level, more about that later. The hotel is well located and is very Modern and Beautiful. Our bathroom had a heated towl rack and heated floors. It is absolutely ridiculous what you can get used to. I missed those perks when I got home. Our room had a balcony which was awesome. We really enjoyed hanging out on the balcony in the morning and later afternoons. The Penhouse level was very nice. It is similar to a Ritz Carlton level with the free booze and snacks and food served...I thought the alcohol that was available in our room and in the PH common room was much better than what I have ever seen at a Ritz. It was actually very intimate too, there was never more than a few people in there. So you could unwind and have a nice glass of wine before dinner on the house. We had one issue with management at this hotel. The front desk, concierge, and servers at the hotel restaurant were all great, but the Manager needs to find another line of work. He actually interrupted our breakfast and made one of our friends go to the front desk after we tried to use a breakfast voucher that was provided to us at check-in. Again, he was very rude and made it seem like we were putting him out by using this voucher. The server and several other staff were very apologetic and seemed to hint that this was a recurring problem with this gentlemen. Again, find another line of work! Overall, I would recommend this hotel and would stay on the penthouse level.

Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
3 Thank ufrc75
Plymouth, Indiana
Reviewed May 18, 2011

My group stayed at this hotel to attend a national conference. While we were concerned about the high price, our state association mandated that we stay at this particular hotel and we assumed that at least the high price would mean it would be great. Boy, were we wrong! To begin with, the rooms are just awful! They are incredibly tiny and leave no room for your baggage. These problems are only exacerbated when you have four people to a room as we did. The beds are far too small for two people each in a double bed style room, and the TV is placed far to one side making it difficult to comfortably view. Additionally, the bathroom (if you can even call it that) is essentially a semi-opaque glass pane on hinges, leaving much more privacy to be desired. The whole hotel seems to suffer from some designer's overzealous obsession with trying to be modern and trendy. In their zeal, they forgot that hotels also must be functional and comfortable. Unfortunately, the underwhelming rooms were not my group's biggest issue with this hotel. The organization whose conference we were attending booked the vast majority of the hotel for attendees. Understandably, any time large groups are in one area for an extended stay, some issues may arise with a few individuals who make poor choices. In response to such issues, the Director of Operations, Marco --, wrote a nasty, sarcastic letter and had it delivered to each and every member of our group. I am deeply offended to be the recipient of such unprofessional hostility when myself, my roommates, and my entire floor did nothing wrong. Instead of dealing with problem individuals, Mr. -- felt it necessary to lash out against all of us due to some sick sense of guilt by association. However, he didn't seem to have a problem with drunks stumbling around the lobby screaming and cursing late into the night after patronizing the hotel's bar. Thankfully, Mr. -- was the only staff member who made our stay even more unpleasant. I give tremendous credit to the doormen, concierge, and housekeeping staff who were consistently warm, courteous, and professional. Besides these outstanding individuals, the only other upside to this hotel is it's great location in Washington. It is within walking distance of most major tourist destinations and is close to several subway stations. These upsides are far outweighed by the ludicrous price, awful rooms, and downright rude management. Save your money, your dignity, and your patience and look elsewhere in D.C. (Other groups in our organization had great experiences with the Omni and Hilton, and I would definitely check into those hotels as alternatives to the Dupont.)

2 Thank brytonhiatt
GMDupont, Manager at The Dupont Circle, responded to this review, May 23, 2011
Dear brytonhiatt,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay here at The Dupont Circle Hotel. I would like to apologize for the fact that you felt insulted over the letter we distributed into all group members rooms. While we (along with the chaperones it seems) struggled to ensure that all of the young adults stayed within commonly accepted boundaries of good behavior, at no point did we intended to sound insulting or harsh. Our on-site security team was simply not strong enough to prosecute every complaint on a case by case basis and the mounting number of early departures of other guests due to all sorts of disturbances left me no other choice than to address the group as a whole. I would like to highlight that the majority of the group was well behaved – but as you say it requires a couple dozen making bad decisions to spoil it for everyone.
We are very happy to hear that you received good service from our doormen, bellman and concierges. They are all truly valuable members of our team and I will ensure that they are recognized for their outstanding service.
Please do not hesitate to contact me directly to discuss your stay further.

Marco R Burlimann
Director of Operations
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed May 17, 2011

From the exterior the hotel is nothing special - looking more than an office block than a hotel - but the exterior belies a clean, modern interior. The Dupont boasts a number of positives; friendly efficient staff; clean, well-maintained rooms; free wi-fi, a decent restaurant and pub down below as well as an extremely central location with plenty of restaurants to choose from (definitely check out Ruth's Chris Steak House and James Hoburn's Irish Pub).

A 45-min journey from Dulles (20-min form Reagan) via taxi, the Metro is only a quick walk across the circle and will take you to all the sightseeing spots within minutes. Not to mention the hop-on/hop-off tourist buses go right past the hotel.

Overall I’d definitely recommend this hotel for business and holiday-makers alike.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank Kate_Henry
Chicago
Reviewed May 12, 2011

Newly renovated. Very modern and elegant. The rooms were beautiful, quite and comfortable. The staff at the front desk and at room service were very friendly and courteous. It is right on the circle, so close to the Metro, across from Kramer's Books (my favorite spot in the world!). No tub but a multi head shower that was very nice.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SueMae
Fort Wayne, Indiana
Reviewed May 10, 2011

I stayed 2 nights at the Dupont Circle Hotel.

Upon checking in I requested to be placed in a quiet area because I am an extremely light sleeper and the entire city was taken over by thousands of high school kids for some convention. I was immediatly and without hesitation placed on the 9th floor, which at first didn't mean anything to me until I realized that it was the Penthouse Floor!

The accomodations were AMAZING.

The only issues I had were:
* The sliding glass doors to my balcony (shared with two other rooms) would not lock.
* In the mornings the housekeeping crew would bang their carts and doors around and make a lot of noise on the other side of my bedroom wall. As soon as that happens... I'm up.
* While it's nice that they provide some free hor d'oeuvres in the PH Lobby, they are typically sweaty cheese and sliced meats that have been sitting out for a while. Most of the time they were a wee bit non appetizing in looks and taste. Perhaps having a chafing dish with something more appealing and fresh would be better.
* The morning snacks do not start until most business people have departed for their meetings.
* No coffee maker in the room. In my case, my room was as far away as possible from the PH Lobby so I needed to get dressed before I could event have a cup of coffee.

Overall it was a very nice hotel but spending $500 per night was not worth it considering there are two comperable hotels (Palomar and another) withing a few buildings distance at a much lower price point.

Room Tip: There is a little market right across the street!
2 Thank hlalwine
New York City, New York
Reviewed May 9, 2011

Whether you are in DC for business or pleasure this gem of a hotel is conveniently located at DuPont Circle, a major metro hub making it fantastically easy to get just about anywhere from here and the neighborhood has lots of restaurants & loads of shops within easy walking distance. Although it is near a busy circle, it is quiet, small, charming and the rooms are beautifully appointed. We really felt the hotel went out of its way to make us feel comfortable. We arrived at noon and no room was ready until 1:30 pm, which is still earlier than most check-in times of 2 pm. After checking in, we were surprised to receive a lovely fruit basket compliments of the house. We've stayed here previously and it is our first choice hotel whenever we are in town.

Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple