“Quite impressive” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #35 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
Fort Wayne, Indiana
“Quite impressive”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2011

I stayed 2 nights at the Dupont Circle Hotel.

Upon checking in I requested to be placed in a quiet area because I am an extremely light sleeper and the entire city was taken over by thousands of high school kids for some convention. I was immediatly and without hesitation placed on the 9th floor, which at first didn't mean anything to me until I realized that it was the Penthouse Floor!

The accomodations were AMAZING.

The only issues I had were:
* The sliding glass doors to my balcony (shared with two other rooms) would not lock.
* In the mornings the housekeeping crew would bang their carts and doors around and make a lot of noise on the other side of my bedroom wall. As soon as that happens... I'm up.
* While it's nice that they provide some free hor d'oeuvres in the PH Lobby, they are typically sweaty cheese and sliced meats that have been sitting out for a while. Most of the time they were a wee bit non appetizing in looks and taste. Perhaps having a chafing dish with something more appealing and fresh would be better.
* The morning snacks do not start until most business people have departed for their meetings.
* No coffee maker in the room. In my case, my room was as far away as possible from the PH Lobby so I needed to get dressed before I could event have a cup of coffee.

Overall it was a very nice hotel but spending $500 per night was not worth it considering there are two comperable hotels (Palomar and another) withing a few buildings distance at a much lower price point.

Room Tip: There is a little market right across the street!
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank hlalwine

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (634)
  • Hebrew first
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2011

Whether you are in DC for business or pleasure this gem of a hotel is conveniently located at DuPont Circle, a major metro hub making it fantastically easy to get just about anywhere from here and the neighborhood has lots of restaurants & loads of shops within easy walking distance. Although it is near a busy circle, it is quiet, small, charming and the rooms are beautifully appointed. We really felt the hotel went out of its way to make us feel comfortable. We arrived at noon and no room was ready until 1:30 pm, which is still earlier than most check-in times of 2 pm. After checking in, we were surprised to receive a lovely fruit basket compliments of the house. We've stayed here previously and it is our first choice hotel whenever we are in town.

Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank willtravl13
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2011

This hotel was booked through Hotline for just over $100 a night. Which in itself is an amazing value for this hotel. However, even through the hotel's website, rooms can be had for this weekend for under $180/night. For the location and what you get, this is a great hotel. I seriously can't gush enough.

First impressions: After getting lost en route to the hotel from Baltimore, we finally arrived. Immediately we were welcomed by a porter who helped us get settled inside. The check-in agent couldn't have been friendlier and got me checked-in quickly while still being very pleasant. The lobby is very lovely. Modern, yet tasteful.

The location: Situated right on Dupont Circle, the location is fantastic for those who don't need to be right by Capitol Hill or the downtown business areas that are situated a bit to the east. It is great for a large number of embassies which are located in the area. Dupont Circle has fantastic restaurants, a good number of bars (however an old favourite of mine that had great mojitos seems to have recently closed) and some shopping. The red line Metro runs right through the circle, giving you easy access to the whole system, as well as a one-transfer trip to National Airport. However, be aware that the Metro doesn't run very (every 10-15 minutes) frequently on weekends, so make sure to give yourself extra time to get places, particularly if catching a flight.

Amenities: The room is very well appointed with a bar and restaurant that seem quite happening, particularly on weekends. The crowd didn't just seem like hotel guests either. There is a business centre with two computers and a printer. There is free internet access from those computers. In addition, there is another computer across the hall that allows you to do online check-in for a good number of airlines. There were also a ball room and conference centre facilities.

The room: Great size (at one point we had six people in the room and there was plenty of room for all), keeping with the theme of tasteful modernity. The room had a great lighting system, although the first night we came back from dinner to find that some sort of construction had caused the ceiling lights (including the washroom) to not work. Though that was fixed a short time later and didn't seem to be something that was in the control of the hotel, so I don't hold it against them. The room is set up to be a bit more open. The sink and vanity is open to the rest of the room with the toilet and shower behind a frosted glass wall. So, I wouldn't recommend this hotel for people who like discretion when using the washroom, or if you plan to have lots of people in the room since the privacy isn't great. I also found that the soap they provide is incredibly drying for your skin, so if you like a moisture-rich soap or body wash, consider bringing your own. I also wouldn't recommend this room for people who like complete darkness when they sleep. All the windows are slatted shutters that still allow a fair bit of light in. That's not a problem for me, but I do know some people who require pitch blackness to sleep.

Summary: The best hotel of the trip, as well as the cheapest. How can you go wrong. Again, it was booked through Hotwire so I didn't know what we were getting until it was booked. Not being that picky when it comes to hotels, I didn't bother doing research once it was booked since I couldn't do anything about it anyway. It was a complete shock how nice this place was and I will definitely consider staying here again, even if I have to pay the rate quoted online.

Room Tip: Building is V-shaped. Try to get an out-facing rm.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank erikpvd
Lakewood, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2011

Often my husband and I feel we have to sacrifice style when we travel with our children (7 and 9) if we are to accomodate their needs but FINALLY we have found a hotel that can meet both. From the moment we arrived at the end of April, The Dupont Hotel exceeded our expectations. The staff was incredibly helpful and the property flawless. It is the first time ouside of NY that a hotel has been able to remain warm and friendly with such a hip vibe. The staff was terrific with our kids which allowed us to enjoy a "grown-up" atmosphere on a family vacation. Just as importantly, our children loved the fashionable rooms and the restaurant which offered healthy meal options for kids served in interesting ways. What a breath of fresh air compared to the circus atmosphere of most "family-friendly" properties! Thank you Dupont Hotel for welcoming us and helping to make our vacation one of the best yet!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank JeniMatousek
Montreal, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2011

My husband and I stayed here for 3 nights on our first-ever visit to Washington. The location is excellent. The hotel has been renovated, the beds extremely comfortable, and the staff very helpful. The neighborhood is great as well. We did have a couple of issues though. The first room we were given had water damage on the ceiling above the bed. The damage was such that the paint had begun bubbling off, which gave the appearance of a large growth coming off of the ceiling and potentially falling on you while sleeping (room 630). The staff quickly checked us in to another room - with a little less water damage! Later that day, two of the light circuits blew so we had no power in the bathroom or the room, except for the nightstand lights. Apparently this was throughout the hotel. The issue still hadn't been resolved by the next day. At approx 10:30 pm, all the power went off! Nothing like sitting in a dark hotel room; no air, no lights, nothing. Oh yeah - don't forget those magnetic keys; they don't work either. The power returned about 45 minutes later.

I'd go back to this hotel despite the electrical issues. Be sure to ask for a room with a view on the Circle or one of the side streets as the alternative is in the "inner courtyard" with a great view of the adjoining wall and the air conditioning units. The hotel bar is hopping on Thursday - Saturday.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view on the Circle
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank paris_on_a_budget
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2011

Traveled with my wife and two boys, age 7 and 9.

Great hotel. Love the location; not in the heart of the tourist district, great selection of bars, restaurants, shops - literally across the street from Metro Station. Bar/food is overpriced, but staff went *out of their way* to provide fantastic customer service.

However...

I can not understand why every book and review we read suggested this as a family hotel. I'd come back with my wife in a heartbeat, but it's NOT for kids.

No pool. No in-room movies. Glass divider in the bathroom (no door).

Enjoy your stay, but if you need amenities for the kids... go somewhere else.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank philrid
Vancouver
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2011

I made a reservation via expedia and received a good room rate for our stay. I have to agree that the bath room design is a not odd if traveling with other guests. The frosted glass doesn't leave much for privacy. However the heated floor tiles were a great touch. The beds very comfy. Room size overall not to bad as we had three people in 2 double beds. Spacing was a bit tight but manageable. The only thing that was that the windows over the bar/restaurant does not tone out the sound. Ask for a room that is opposite of the restaurant as the sound does carry. All in all a great hotel to stay in as it is very close to the metro and lots of restaurants and shops.

• Stayed April 2011