I actually stayed at this hotel almost 7 years ago and reviewed it as "Average." I wasn't eager to give it another try but a short-notice business trip forced me here, as none of my other choices in the area were available.
I would now drop it down to somewhere between Poor and Average.
First of all, this is not a business class hotel. At all. The lobby is small and has the feel of a small town Radisson. It doesn't look like a business class hotel; doesn't have a business class hotel ambience. You wouldn't want to hold a meeting here.
The elevators (and there are only two) are extremely slow - especially around check-in times, when housekeeping is active, and around check-out times. In other words, a lot. I waiting about 5 minutes for an elevator at check-in. Doesn't sound like much but when you are eager to get settled in your room, it's a long time. It's also annoying to have the maids using the same elevators, navigating around you with their carts.
Another slow thing...the internet at this hotel. They told me at checkin that there is free wifi and no password is needed. Well, I learned why. It's horrible. I could not be productive online because the speed was too slow and unstable to work with my VPN. Even normal surfing was slow. In this day and age, any place purporting to be a 3-star hotel or better must have fast, reliable internet.
The hotel bills itslef as being the "Courtyard Dupont Circle." Okay...I noted this when I stayed here in 2007....this isn't exactly Dupont Circle. It's way up Connecticut Ave. on the hill, in the direction of the Adams Morgan neighborhood. You could almost call it the Courtyard Adams Morgan. If you have business in the area of the Mall or any government buildings south of K Street, you are definitely not in walking range. Dupont Circle is about 1/2 mile south; figure a 10 minute walk. If it's really cold or really hot (distinct possibilities in DC), it's a bit more than a short walk. There are a couple of restaurants very close but for a bigger selection you will need to walk 10-15 minutes north or south.
Another issue for me was that my room had a smell similar to smoke that had been covered up with Febreeze. Again...not good and just another irritant for someone on a busy trip that wants a reliable, business class experience.
Bathroom: tiny, with tiny sink basin. Don't stay here if you are a couple or family!
So as to not sound completely negative, my room on the 8th floor had a decent view south. The hotel was fairly quiet, and the person at check-in was pleasant.
They did put flat screen TV's in the rooms, an upgrade from 2007!
I had hoped the place would have upgraded in other ways, but that wasn't the case. I would definitely not stay here again. Too many far better choices in the same price range.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Courtyard by Marriott Washington, DC/Dupont Circle is ideally located in Northwest Washington, and a short walk to the Dupont Circle Metro. Whether you're staying for business or leisure, our hotel in Washington, D.C. is equipped for everything you need for a relaxed and productive stay. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Marriott, Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Priceline, Orbitz, Hotwire, Cancelon, getaroom.com, TripOnline SA, Cheap Tickets, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Courtyard Washington, DC/Dupont Circle reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Courtyard By Marriott Washington Dc Dupont Circle Hotel Washington Dc
- Courtyard Washington Northwest
- Courtyard Washington Dc
- Washington Dc Marriott
- Washington Dc Courtyard