“"Slow" and "small" are the words for this hotel...”

Courtyard Washington, DC/Dupont Circle
Ranked #78 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed February 26, 2014

I actually stayed at this hotel almost 7 years ago and reviewed it as "Average." I wasn't eager to give it another try but a short-notice business trip forced me here, as none of my other choices in the area were available.

I would now drop it down to somewhere between Poor and Average.

First of all, this is not a business class hotel. At all. The lobby is small and has the feel of a small town Radisson. It doesn't look like a business class hotel; doesn't have a business class hotel ambience. You wouldn't want to hold a meeting here.

The elevators (and there are only two) are extremely slow - especially around check-in times, when housekeeping is active, and around check-out times. In other words, a lot. I waiting about 5 minutes for an elevator at check-in. Doesn't sound like much but when you are eager to get settled in your room, it's a long time. It's also annoying to have the maids using the same elevators, navigating around you with their carts.

Another slow thing...the internet at this hotel. They told me at checkin that there is free wifi and no password is needed. Well, I learned why. It's horrible. I could not be productive online because the speed was too slow and unstable to work with my VPN. Even normal surfing was slow. In this day and age, any place purporting to be a 3-star hotel or better must have fast, reliable internet.

The hotel bills itslef as being the "Courtyard Dupont Circle." Okay...I noted this when I stayed here in 2007....this isn't exactly Dupont Circle. It's way up Connecticut Ave. on the hill, in the direction of the Adams Morgan neighborhood. You could almost call it the Courtyard Adams Morgan. If you have business in the area of the Mall or any government buildings south of K Street, you are definitely not in walking range. Dupont Circle is about 1/2 mile south; figure a 10 minute walk. If it's really cold or really hot (distinct possibilities in DC), it's a bit more than a short walk. There are a couple of restaurants very close but for a bigger selection you will need to walk 10-15 minutes north or south.

Another issue for me was that my room had a smell similar to smoke that had been covered up with Febreeze. Again...not good and just another irritant for someone on a busy trip that wants a reliable, business class experience.

Bathroom: tiny, with tiny sink basin. Don't stay here if you are a couple or family!

So as to not sound completely negative, my room on the 8th floor had a decent view south. The hotel was fairly quiet, and the person at check-in was pleasant.

They did put flat screen TV's in the rooms, an upgrade from 2007!

I had hoped the place would have upgraded in other ways, but that wasn't the case. I would definitely not stay here again. Too many far better choices in the same price range.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
3  Thank ATLDawg
Donavon M, General Manager at Courtyard Washington, DC/Dupont Circle, responded to this reviewResponded March 4, 2014

Dear ATLDawg,

I wanted to personally thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us regarding your recent stay at our Courtyard Washington DC/Dupont Circle. Your feedback is invaluable to us as we strive to ensure that we are providing a flawless and memorable stay.

I do apologize for the problem you experienced with the internet. As a part of our newly renovated package we are in the process of upgrading our internet service.

Please do not hesitate to contact me directly if I can be of any assistance.

Best regards,

Donavon McDaniel

Reviewed February 22, 2014

I wasn't expecting much being a Courtyard but they have just completely renovated the entire hotel. It's very nice! We were in town for a convention at the Hilton across the street. This was half the price and the hilton was a 1 minute walk. I would definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: Third floor is completely redone. There was a checklist on our door from the construction crew accid...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank parrishtr
Reviewed February 18, 2014

We recently stayed at the hotel for a volleyball tournament. The hotel has been newly renovated and everything seems fresh. It is centrally located and within walking distance to a wide range of restaurants and the ever important Rite-Aid. The Bistro in the lobby is great for breakfast, lunch, coffee or after dinner snacks. It is spacious and comfortable with regular tables, high tables and couches. The fitness center located off the lobby has the requisite cardio machines, weights, TVs, towels, is opened 24 hours and is clean and airy. There is on-sight valet parking and a most accommodating staff who helped to arranged taxis, food deliveries and restaurant recommendations. The hotel lobby also has a several couches and desks with computers. We have stayed in several hotels around DC this past year due to college visits and honestly, this was one of the best especially when we were out for most of the day. The Marriott Courtyard was almost the next best thing to going home. The lobby was a great meeting place for my daughter’s team. The girls could sit in the Bistro and watch TV while eating and since the hotel is medium-sized, the parents felt comfortable knowing that they were safe.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank lsmbklyn
Reviewed February 11, 2014

My husband and I stayed here for one night on our way through. We arrived to find that the front drive was closed for construction and the small parking area they had full. We circled the block and I ran in to see where to park. Instead of making me drive around again, the valet and bellhop came out to where I was and carried in my bags and took my car. I was so thankful to not have to try to drive out into the afternoon traffic again.

The hotel was under renovation at this time, but I didn't hear anything while there. The room we had was renovated, and while it was small, it was almost perfect. The new furnishings were very nice, the bed comfortable, and even the view was ok. There were 2 problems with this room that could easily be fixed. First, there is no full length mirror in this room. Second, the bathroom has poor lighting for make-up that could be fixed by adding a light over the mirror or a lighted swing-out makeup mirror.

The location is fantastic. There are many great restaurants to walk to and the metro is nearby to take you where ever you want to go.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Donavon M, General Manager at Courtyard Washington, DC/Dupont Circle, responded to this reviewResponded February 17, 2014

Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to give us your feedback regarding your stay. I certainly appreciate your kind comments regarding our valet and bell staff during your check in process. I know that the driveway closure caused some inconvenience but I am pleased to know that our staff was able to alleviate some of the confusion. I was also very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your newly renovated room. As you pointed out the room was missing a full length mirror and a lighted bathroom mirror, both which have now arrived and have been installed in all of the rooms. I do hope that if your travels bring you back to DC in the near future, you will choose to stay with us so that you may experience our fully renovated hotel from driveway to guestroom finishes. We look forward to having you back.
Donavon McDaniel

Reviewed January 23, 2014

This hotel was actually really nice. The location was great. It was literally a 5 minute walk from Dupont Circle and the Dupont Metro Station. I went with my sister and we shared a room with a king size bed. The view wasn't great, we ended up facing the side of another building. Then again we weren't there for the view from the hotel. The room was definitely on the smaller side as was the bathroom but we managed especially because we were out all day site-seeing. The bed, however was so comfortable! It was probably one of the best beds I have ever slept in, well in a hotel. We also spent a little extra ($20 per person) so we could have breakfast in the hotel. They had a lot of delicious breakfast options and they were all very hardy meals. It was a great way to start our days.

I would definitely stay again!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on one of the top floors as well as one facing the Main Street.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank julianneaugust
Donavon M, General Manager at Courtyard Washington, DC/Dupont Circle, responded to this reviewResponded January 27, 2014

Thank you for your kind feedback. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you found our location convenient. I am pleased to inform you that we are in the midst of a guestroom renovation and one of our focuses based on customer feedback like yours is the bathrooms. Our renovations will incorporate more storage/shelf space for toiletries thus maximizing space in our bathrooms that have the lovely pedestal sinks. I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future so that you can experience our newly renovated rooms. Next time we will also make sure to put you on the other side of the hotel where you can get a panoramic view of Connecticut Ave leading to the Washington Monument.

Reviewed January 18, 2014

The Courtyard by Marriott is a high rise hotel located on Connecticut Avenue near Dupont Circle. It is newly renovated, with comfortable rooms with wifi, and a very helpful staff. While there is no restaurant/bar, the Bistro offers an assortment of Starbucks coffees as well as breakfast sandwiches and plates. Other food is also available there. The lobby is beautiful with computers/printers and public wifi available. Valet parking is suggested as there is very little street parking. Metro bus service stops right outside hotel.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Art G

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. We are certainly proud of our hotel, its location and our friendly staff. Thank you for the great feedback on our newly renovated rooms. As of February, we will complete renovations to all 248 guestrooms. Please do think of us for future visits.

Reviewed January 11, 2014

Well, one of the worse hotels I have been in in quite a while. I'm a diamond member, had a pre-paid room (which I'm sure contributed to this review) it was facing the very front where the construction was going on, so at 6AM all the work started, the hallways were noisy with doors opening and closing. Rooms were clean but way outdated, Location is far away from metro (about .5 miles). Not may restaurants in the area. Price was good, about $110 a night

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo

Anthony N. I am sorry to hear that we failed to provide a carefee and enjoyable stay during your recent visit. Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience you experienced while we were undergoing our driveway resurfacing. While we tried to keep noise down to a minimal there was some drilling involved and this is the noise you heard. I do hope you can give us the opportunity to welcome you back as I know you will be very pleased with the look of our newly resurfaced driveway and our newly renovated guestrooms which now feature a custom and modern décor. As for dining options, Dupont Circle is known for its array of restaurants, cafes and bars and during your next visit our staff can assist with suggestions based on your taste in cuisine.