“Awesome location”

Courtyard Washington, DC/Dupont Circle
Ranked #74 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed April 26, 2008

My family and I stayed here for 4 days during April school vacation. We were originally booked at another hotel which turned out to be an unacceptable choice. We called this Marriott as it was recommended by "Fodor, Washington." They could not have been more accomodating. Our room was clean, beds comfortable, and the buffet breakfast was delicious. Everyone on staff was pleasant and answered any questions we had.
The location, about 5 blocks up from the Dupont Circle Metro stop was quiet and chock full of great restaurants and interesting shops. A nice change after a day of touring DC.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank teach58

Reviewed April 15, 2008

This hotel was $140/night in July. My opinion - a wonderful deal!

The pool was very nice, and quiet!

Convenient walk to Dupont Circle, lots of restaurants/bars within walking distance

I've stayed here on two different occasions - and I cannot complain about either one. I would stay here again in a heartbeat!

• Stayed: July 2007
Reviewed April 7, 2008

Whenever I come to DC, I stay at this place. It is an affordable alternative to the DC Hilton if you have a convention there because it is right across the street. The staff is very, very friendly and the prices are reasonable. It is only a few blocks from the Dupont Metro station which makes it convenient. Also, there are several local eateries in the area as well as recognizable chains such as Cosi, Starbucks and Chipotle nearby. A big plus is that there is free Internet in the rooms and in the lobby. I have never had a bad experience here and I have stayed with them several times.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed April 1, 2008

Overview: My wife and I have stayed in a number of hotels in and about the Capital District during the last few years. For this particular weekend visit (March 28-30, 2008: Cherry Blossom Festival), we decided to try yet another hotel in different section of the city. We chose the Courtyard Washington Northwest, based primarily upon the price (AAA rate – other hotels that I wanted to try were priced ‘sky-high’ - for the Cherry Blossom crowd, I guess) and the location (Dupont Circle). I originally was going to write a much more positive review of the hotel, but in retrospect I changed my mind. Here’s why.

Overall, our stay was good but there were little things that were bothersome. The room was among the smallest we have stayed in during our DC visits. We like room to spread out and relax and we were a little cramped on space here. The floor to ceiling windows helped with making the room seem larger than it actually was. The décor was typical Courtyard. The public areas of the hotel were also small: check-in, lobby, “lounge/bar” area, exercise room. Despite numerous attempts to get the heating/cooling thermostat to work properly, I finally resorted to opening the window to adjust the room’s temperature. The fan never did turn off during our stay – not a major problem as it masked the street traffic noise on Connecticut Avenue, especially when the window was open to cool off the room at night, but still annoying. And even though we always ask for a room away from the ice machine /vending, guess where our room was - next to the ice machine.

On the plus side: the hotel staff (front desk, doorman, housekeeping) were friendly and pleasant. We asked for extra towels and an extra luggage rack and got them in a timely manner. The free wired internet connection worked great. The location, near Dupont Circle, was a definite plus: many restaurants and shops from which to choose. (Try Rosemary’s Thyme Bistro on 18th St, NW for a good, affordable dinner.) The view from our (small) room was very good: looking down Connecticut Avenue towards Dupont Circle, with the Washington Monument in view. The bathroom was adequate, although the nightlight on the hairdryer kept flickering on and off (somewhat annoying). The small refrigerator in the room worked fine.

All in all, the hotel was OK for what is was: a basic hotel, nothing fancy but in a good location. (We love the Dupont Circle area. It just seems so vibrant and alive.) Would we place it in the top five hotels we’ve stayed in during our DC visits? No, but it makes the top ten . . . maybe.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ENBB
Reviewed March 26, 2008

This Marriott is like any other Marriott (just as all Pizza Huts, Home Depots, and ShopRites are alike), so, while generic, it was functional and clean.

The location was AWESOME--right up the hill from Dupont Circle, close to the Metro, great shops and restaurants, and to the heavenly year-round Sunday farmers' market. We even had a great view...of the nicer boutique hotel next door.

The front desk staff, however, was HORRIBLE (but the housekeeping staff was lovely, at least). They couldn't recommend a restaurant or give directions. They promised to send toothpaste up to our room and then just didn't. They didn't have any idea about whether the vending machines were working (or even what floors they were on, it seemed), and behaved as though we'd asked them to sacrifice a firstborn when we asked to check in earlier than expected (5:30 pm rather than 7:00) and to EXTEND our reservation. It seemed they didn't even have the sense to take advantage of our extra business. Finally, they seemed surprised to hear that I'd hoped they might have phoned us when housekeeping found my car keys in the room after we checked out, and they NEVER apologized when their mistakes were pointed out.

The customer service at this Marriott was TOTALLY lacking. I'm generally inclined to make excuses for service industry workers who are perceived as sub-par--I don't envy them the pressures of their work--but this crowd was totally inept to a (wo)man. Unacceptable.

My mother-in-law suggested that the staff working during the Easter holiday might have been the second string, and I sincerely hope that's the explanation for our experience. If their full-time staff is THAT bad, there's not much hope for them.

Stayed: March 2008
Reviewed March 23, 2008

My husband and I go to DC fairly often simply because we love the city. We prefer the Dupont Circle area--a great location in its own right but with easy Metro access to other areas of the city.

This Courtyard is fairly well-located, within a couple of blocks of the Dupont Circle Metro, and within walking distance of Adams Morgan.

I don't know that there is anything terribly special about this hotel; it's an average Courtyard. It's certainly not worth paying a premium price for (we've gotten good rates on the hotel website, using AAA), but if you're looking for a good basic hotel, you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 9, 2007

I stayed here for several nights during this month, which is a very busy time for DC hotels. Most rates were jacked up and this place was no exception. Our small group paid $310/night plus tax, which was the best we could get any of the more reputable groups (Marriott, Hilton, Hyatt, etc.) during this busy conference season. While the hotel was adequate, it was overpriced. The location itself, which some claim is great, is really not so special. It's way up the Connecticut Ave. hill, in the direction of the Adams Morgan neighborhood. If you have business in the area of the Mall or any government buildings south of K Street, you are definitely not in walking range. Ditto for tourists going to the monuments. Now as far as the ability to walk to Dupont Circle, that's roughly 1/2 mile south so it's perhaps a 7-10 minute walk depending on your exact destination. Not bad. Then again...what's really around Dupont Circle that's so great? Except for Kramer Books and a few other places.

Anyway, I would sum up my stay as follows:

Pros: Less than 10 min. walk (south) to Dupont Circle area
10 min. walk (west) to Rock Creek/Dumbbarton Oaks Pk
Free wired internet connection
View from my room, 7th floor - can see Wash. Monument
Smaller hotel, not overwhelming or bustling with crowds
King bed was comfortable

Cons: Expensive for what you get
Small, rather ordinary rooms
Very small bathroom; sink basin has no counter space
Breakfast is expensive, not a good value
No wireless internet (only wired)
Very small, crammed closet - little luggage space
TV is not the high def/flat screen as better hotels now have
Closest Metro is Dupont Circle station, 7-10 minute walk