“Adequate but very small, plain rooms and overpriced for what you get”

Courtyard Washington, DC/Dupont Circle
Ranked #73 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed October 9, 2007

I stayed here for several nights during this month, which is a very busy time for DC hotels. Most rates were jacked up and this place was no exception. Our small group paid $310/night plus tax, which was the best we could get any of the more reputable groups (Marriott, Hilton, Hyatt, etc.) during this busy conference season. While the hotel was adequate, it was overpriced. The location itself, which some claim is great, is really not so special. It's way up the Connecticut Ave. hill, in the direction of the Adams Morgan neighborhood. If you have business in the area of the Mall or any government buildings south of K Street, you are definitely not in walking range. Ditto for tourists going to the monuments. Now as far as the ability to walk to Dupont Circle, that's roughly 1/2 mile south so it's perhaps a 7-10 minute walk depending on your exact destination. Not bad. Then again...what's really around Dupont Circle that's so great? Except for Kramer Books and a few other places.

Anyway, I would sum up my stay as follows:

Pros: Less than 10 min. walk (south) to Dupont Circle area
10 min. walk (west) to Rock Creek/Dumbbarton Oaks Pk
Free wired internet connection
View from my room, 7th floor - can see Wash. Monument
Smaller hotel, not overwhelming or bustling with crowds
King bed was comfortable

Cons: Expensive for what you get
Small, rather ordinary rooms
Very small bathroom; sink basin has no counter space
Breakfast is expensive, not a good value
No wireless internet (only wired)
Very small, crammed closet - little luggage space
TV is not the high def/flat screen as better hotels now have
Closest Metro is Dupont Circle station, 7-10 minute walk

Stayed: October 2007
4  Thank ATLDawg

Reviewed August 6, 2007

While rooms are small (as with most in DC), the beds were extremely comfortable and the service was outstanding. From check-in to breakfast to checkout, the staff really seemed to be going out of their way to make our stay a very pleasant one which is just what I want from a hotel!

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
Reviewed July 14, 2007

this hotel was like the traditional marriott courtyards...very comfortable beds, clean and simple. The staff was very courteous and helpful and from my experience and had no problem hailing taxis for us and giving directions. If you decide to take the metro to the hotel (metro stop dupont circle) and it''s your first time in d.c., i would recommend taking a taxi from dupont circle to the hotel because the streets are confusing for first time tourists and the hotel is about 4 or 5 blocks from the metro station. The only thing we disliked about the hotel was the breakfast. It was nothing spectular for the price they charged (limited selection for "buffet style") and unless you're an early riser, you will miss it. The hotel was in a good location, it was safe, clean and there were restaurants and shops around so taking a walk down connecticut avenue proved to be an adventure in itself.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
2  Thank tigerlilylady
Reviewed May 24, 2007

I stayed here for about four days. I booked last minute and it was the only hotel (that would not give us scabies) available for all of the days we needed in DC. The hotel is about 4-5 blocks from the Dupont Circle Metro, on the red line. It is not the hotel for those who have issues walking, but then again DC is a city for lots of walking and standing, esp if you are going to see museums and all of the attractions. Unless you have a car, you will have to walk up a hill and some stairs from the street to access the lobby.

The Dupont Circle Metro location is great. Two Starbucks are within walking distance and a fun Greek restaurant is across the street from the Metro stop. Also, the area is very safe.

Check-in and check-out were fine. The people working there are very friendly and helpful. The beds were comfortable and clean and the hotel provided soap and shampoo from Bath and Body Works.

My main issue was the value. I know we booked last minute, but still the room was small and the rate did not include breakfast. Breakfast was pricey-- over $11. I just expected more for the money. In addition, our room was right on the street, which was very loud. Bring earplugs.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled on business
2  Thank lizicat
Reviewed February 27, 2007

Stayed here in Feb 07 for a conference at the Washington Hilton across the street. Very convenient to the Hilton, Dupont Circle, and the multiple restaurants and shops around it. The staff were very friendly, the internet worked well (and the cable was in the room and unbroken, which it isn't at other hotels).

My main problem was with the heat; the first night I was there it was very cold in the room - and the heater, whether set on auto, low, or high, came on and went off every 12 - 15 seconds at a VERY loud roar. So loud that I had to turn the television up to high volume to hear it over the fan sound....and of course, sleep was impossible with this fan coming on and off. Finally just turned the heat off entirely and the room stayed fairly comfortable for the rest of my (week-long) stay. Not enough room in the bath to set things down, in my opinion - just a glass shelf over the toilet, so that anything you knock off falls directly in....The bed was way too soft and lumpy - certainly not what I expected after reading reviews of "the famous Marriott bed"! It was made up (short-sheeted?) so that in order to pull the sheets up to cover my shoulders (I'm 5/8") I needed to sleep sideways (yay king beds) or remake the bed entirely.

The hotel was clean, friendly, and very convenient - my rate was higher than I expected, given that it was a conference, but I guess the location had a lot to do with that. All in all, I'd stay there again.

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled on business
1  Thank WItravel
Reviewed February 17, 2007

I stayed here on Friday and Saturday nights in mid January, for which I paid $94 per night, booked through Marriott's website using an AAA discount.

I stayed at this property once previously, when I was favorably impressed. This visit did nothing to change my opinion. Check in was prompt and efficient. I was given a room on one of the higher floors, which was spotless and filled with the usual Marriott amenities, including a very comfortable bed with good quality linens and a fitted bottom sheet. There were no noise issues at all.

Room temperature was easily adjusted. It was unseasonably warm during my stay, as in short sleeve and shorts weather, but there was no problem keeping the room comfortable.

I took advantage of the breakfast buffet on the morning of my departure, which offers cooked to order eggs, as well as a good selection of meats, pasteries, fresh fruits and the usual cereals, bagels and so forth. It's not cheap ($12 for one person, including tax), the food was OK, but certainly not outstanding, and service was incredibly slow - the wait for the check and water refills was prolonged. This was also my experience here last year. If you have time to go elsewhere for breakfast, I'd recommend doing so.

Aside from that, I again recommend this hotel. Like most chain properties, it's not fancy or unique, but it is predictable and offers good value for the money, at least for the amount I paid. The staff is uniformly pleasant and helpful. The daily Washington Post is available free of charge at the desk. (They do charge for the Sunday edition.) Parking was $20 per night, about average for the area. The free in-room high speed internet access (wired) worked perfectly.

The biggest drawback is that it's a long, uphill walk from the Dupont Circle metro. In fact, if you do that a few times, you can skip the workout at the hotel!

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled solo
5  Thank CallerID
Reviewed February 2, 2007

I stay at Courtyards frequently, partially because you pretty much know what to expect. This time, I was pleasantly surprised! The entire staff treated me like I was staying at a 5 star resort - welcoming, accommodating and cheerful. Check-in was a breeze - the valet beat me to the front desk, gave them my name to pull up my reservation and generate a car claim. They asked if I wanted to go ahead and use the business center adjacent to the front desk to print my boarding pass while they managed my bags.

The room was nicely done, with that wonderful Marriott bed. There was a handwritten, personalized welcome note and free bottled water.

Since it was really cold out, I asked about dinner options as close by as possible (and being near Dupont Circle, there are plenty). After giving me several choices, they also pointed out dinner was being served in the lounge. Being tired and not expecting much, I went that route. It was great! Very comfortable atmosphere for a single woman diner, where I could flip through a magazine while having a glass of wine. The blackened salmon caeser salad was literally the best I've ever had - topped with an entire dinner-size portion of salmon.

I wish I'd spent more than 1 night! On my next trip to the Baltimore/DC area - this is where I'm staying.

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled on business