“Unresponsive”

Days Inn Washington DC / Connecticut Avenue
Ranked #122 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed January 27, 2010

I have been trying for days, based on Trip Advisor reviews, to book this hotel for a month or more while I relocate to DC. I made a reservation online for one month. By the time it was confirmed, the reservation mysteriously changed to one night. I called to change the reservation and got the voicemail. Three days later, no response. I called and spoke to a reservation attendant who repeatedly and dismissively stated she was sorry but did not remedy the issue. I advised her that someone staying for a long term should not be expected to pay daily fluctuating rates. She said I had to speak to someone (who I will not name) specifically. I left this person a message because all I got was voicemail. It is the second day and she, too, has not responded. I am going to find somewhere else to stay that actually cares about potential customers. Apparently, there is no recession affecting their bottom line and there is no intrinsic willingness to provide appropriate customer service in this, a service industry.

Stayed: January 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank Elena111149
Write a ReviewReviews (1,904)

Reviewed January 6, 2010

We stayed here for one night. It is not near any attractions (located in upper NW DC), but only one block from Van Ness Metro station, which is 6 stops from Metro Center - about 15 mins from Downtown.
If you have no problems with no frills, this Days Inn may save you big time during the week. If you've never stayed in Washington DC before, the weekend is cheap but staying during the week is exceptionally over-priced. Being near the Metro station is the clincher. There's also a few dining options, a pharmacy and Starbucks nearby, so you're not adrift.
There's free wi-fi which was unexpected. The rooms are fine - some limited cable channels, clean, quiet. Strangely, the pillows are really lumpy and hard! Probably the only minus of this standard hotel.
P.S. Make sure you put the privacy sign out on the door if you like a sleep-in, housekeeping came past at 9am.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 5, 2010

Hotel was clean, staff was friendly. Not spectacular, but reasonably priced and in a really great location near the Metro and some really good restaurants. Skip Potbelly's, it wasn't great, but the Tesoro Italian Resturant right next door was AWESOME. Really convienient location. After walking and sightseeing all day, it felt just as cozy as home.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 31, 2009

I just stayed at this hotel last week when I stopped by DC again. I have to agree with what other posters have said positive things about this hotel. I don't want to repeat everything that has already been mentioned. Generally, it's a fantastic hotel under $100/night for a decent clean room in a quiet safe neighborhood, next to fast food restaurants Burger King, near grocery store and bank ATM, within 5 minutes walk to the west entrance of the "Van Ness-UDC" Metro station on the Red line. The only potential down side (for a hotel <<< $100 - don't forget what you pay for) I can possibly come up with is that the room doesn't have refrigerator or microwave, and it takes 10 to 15 minutes Metro ride to get to downtown DC (Smithsonian, Metro Center, China town, Capitol hill, ...) Then again, if you're a tourist or someone who has plenty of time or someone who doesn't spend a lot of time in the hotel, what do you care because you would want to travel around to do sightseeing or other business errands anyway. Right? Think about that!

I want to make one important suggestion that I don't seem to read about. If you decide to stay at this hotel, DO NOT book it through the pre-paid websites like Travelocity, Expedia, Orbitz, Hotels.com, etc. because they're non-refundable. It's slightly cheaper and more flexible to book directly at the Days Inn website because it's NOT pre-paid (unless you don't show up and don't cancel before 4:00PM). The hotel will charge you only at check-out time. The main reason is obvious. If you book a room for 5 days and decide to check out after staying for 2 days for whatever reasons (say you don't like the hotel), Days Inn will only charge you for the nights that you actually stay (as long as you stay for at least one night of course.) However, you would be stuck and screwed if you book through the pre-paid website because they're non-refundable.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed November 24, 2009

This Days Inn is in a great location, just a 5-minute walk from the Van Ness-UDC metro stop, next door to Burger King (important because the hotel does not provide breakfast) and across the street from some pizza places. CVS pharmacy, Potbelly's, Subway, and some nice European breakfast/lunch spots are nearby between the hotel and the metro stop. I would advise guests to look at their bills carefully upon check-out, however, since they automatically added parking fees and in-room safe fees to my bill even though I was without a car and did not use the safe. The ironing board in my room was not clean, but everything else seemed in good order.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank anonymous8888
Reviewed November 20, 2009

We stayed there for 4 nights in November, around Remembrance Day. I found this hotel by reading through the Washington hotel reviews on Trip Advisor. It was our second trip to Washington and we flew in and did not have a car.

What I liked about this hotel is the convenient location. We landed in Reagan National Airport and were able to find our way to Van Ness UDC station by Metro, luggage and all.

The hotel is like a 3 minute walk from the Metro station. When we got to the hotel it was about 10 AM and we left our luggage in the hotel and received a baggage ticket. When we got back 10 at night we got our luggage back and went up to our room. We did the same thing on the day we checked out, and it really made things easier to have this handy luggage service.

If you leave the Metro on the west side, you are on the same side as the hotel. If you leave on the east side you can go into Giant food which we did each night to pick up breakfast food or food for the next day.

One day we walked from the hotel to Marjorie Post's Hillwood Estate which is in the Van Ness district and had a pleasant visit there amid her beautiful French and Russian furnishings and art works. It is an intriguing place to visit.

The king bed in the room was very very comfortable, and getting online was no problem. The bathroom was nice, with a granite countertop and nice towels, but turning on the shower and adjusting the temperature was a little iffy, even after three days. The room also had a hair dryer and ironing board.

There were lots of school kids some nights in the lobby, but our floor was very quiet and it was nice to come back to our room at the end of the day.

My husband used the computer in the lobby to print our boarding passes for the flight back home. We liked this hotel which added to our enjoyment of our trip to Washington DC, a great city in itself.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank MoJo36
Reviewed November 8, 2009

Perfect neigborhood, close to subway station, grocery store and pharmacy. The hotel should offer breakfast or at least a small refrigerator in the room, but without that was okay anyway.

Stayed: September 2009, traveled with family