New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

“Disappointed in Service” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Days Inn Washington DC/Connecticut Avenue

Days Inn Washington DC/Connecticut Avenue
Ranked #108 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Montgomery, Alabama
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

I stayed in at the Days Inn last week for a few nights. The rate was about $150/night, and even given its convenient location (a few blocks from a Red Line metro stop), I have to say it wasn't worth the money. As I've said in my other reviews, I'm a fairly low-maintenance hotel guest: as long as the hotel is relatively clean, quiet, and comfortable, I'll be happy, but this hotel fell short on two of those three factors (it was clean). When adding in the fact that the hotel does not include breakfast and doesn't have a gym (and unlike most hotels without a gym, the Days Inn hasn't made a deal with the Golds Gym next door, so visiting Golds costs $15/day), I can't see staying here a second time.

I will say that the front desk staff were helpful and polite, and did the best they could within the limitations of the hotel. But with that said, here were the issues:

1) Noise: the first room I was put into was a "connected room", meaning one of two rooms that are connected by a door but rented separately. Because they're connected, they're extremely close to each other, and when someone is in the bathroom of the other room, it's like they're standing right in your room; you can hear absolutely everything. In my case, the person next door had some sort of rattling cough, and I'll spare the details except to say it was nauseating to listen to. I finally asked for a room switch, which they were happy to do, and they put me into a non-connected room on another floor. The problem, though, was that this room was right next to the ice and soda machines. In every other hotel I've ever stayed in, such machines are in a little alcove (partially enclosed), but in this hotel they're right out in the hallway, and were about 1 foot from my front door. Whenever someone got ice, I knew it well, and then the machine would go through its ice-making stages in a pretty loud way. I would've asked to get switched again, except I was too tired to bother by this point, so I just turned up the A/C fan to try to drown out the sound.

2) The bed was, in a word, the most uncomfortable hotel bed I've slept on in a long time. It was rock hard, and the pillows were not only the cheap, squishy kind, but they were small squares about the size of your head. While they give you a bunch of the pillows, it's pretty hard for your head not to fall off of them and onto the mattress. I was pretty exhausted, but even so it was hard to sleep through the night.

As I mentioned above, when you factor in the lack of breakfast or a gym, $150/night is pretty hard to stomach with these kinds of limitations.

Room Tip: Avoid the connected rooms and any room near the ice/soda machines.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 5 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
      Rooms
1 Thank jpollo02
DaysInnConnAve, General Manager at Days Inn Washington DC/Connecticut Avenue, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay at our Days Inn. Please know that your feedback is extredmely valuable to us. We will continue to focus on improving our guest's experience and be the best value hotel in DC
Bucharest, Romania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

It was at the end of our trip, so we were going short on money...
You should expect what you pay for. If you choose a cheap hotel, expect a cheap room, poorly cleaned and with bad smells. I think it was the worst hotel I ever stayed in, but again it depends on what you are used to...
If you have no choice, you have no choice, what else can you do?

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
1 Thank elena a
Thank you for your review, I noticed that your mentioned that your stay was in October and hopefullycommented on the wrong hotel.We have won the Chairman's Award quality by Days Inn Worldwide for 12 consecutive years and always get great scores on cleanliness as we could not find your record on our system, Please call us to discuss your stay.
Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

the hotel is not very centric but in a very good position just 2min form subway, good price, nice room (rooms are grat), very clean, nice bathroom, always hot water, may towels a very good experience!
free wifi
frendly staff

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
      Rooms
1 Thank valentinapapagni
Thank you for the kind words. We always strive to be the best walue hotel in the Nation's Capital. We look forward to you returning and being our guest again. Thank you for staying with us!!