“Best hotel in Capitol Hill!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Capitol Hill Hotel
Ranked #11 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersBronze level
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Best hotel in Capitol Hill!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2014

We hosted our families and out-of town guests here during our wedding weekend and is hands-down the best hotel experience in the area! It has the best location: within a few blocks of the Capitol building, Library of Congress, National Mall, Eastern Market and all the best that Capitol Hill has to offer. You literally can walk in any direction and in 5 minutes you'll run into great restaurants, shopping, monuments, gyms, metro, and the beautiful tree-lined streets of historic Capitol Hill. The staff was professional, friendly, and very accommodating. The hotel was clean, full of amenities, had free wi-fi and hot breakfast. And if you're looking to host any wedding event, it's a wonderful hotel with gorgeous rooms - definitely captured the look & feel of Capitol Hill, as opposed to other brand name hotels. All of our friends and families had a great time and we always recommend it to anyone visiting DC!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Sharon A
Donte J, General Manager at Capitol Hill Hotel, responded to this review, January 27, 2014
Hello Sharon A,

First and foremost, congratulations on your special day! We're delighted to have been a part of it and truly appreciative of this review. I actually just finished a 20-minute conversation with another guest about the unique benefits of our location. Capitol Hill is a community like none other and our team works really hard to provide a warm and inviting experience for each of our guests. It sounds like that really resonated with you and your family. Thanks again for the review. We hope you make it back this way soon.

Donte Johnson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (253)
  • Hebrew first
Kitty Hawk, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2014

We were very happy to find the hotel was even closer to the museums on the national mall than we first realized. The hotel was modern, clean, safe, quiet (except for a barking dog but it was ok, we love animals). The hotel staff was most helpful and personable at all times. The neighborhood was very safe feeling and quiet. There were many small shops and restaurants in walking distance and we felt safe walking at night, even late at night. We hope to return soon. We were a little taken aback at the price for parking our car, but the unlimited valet service was nice.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Donte J, General Manager at Capitol Hill Hotel, responded to this review, January 22, 2014
Hello Penny A,

Thank you for taking a moment to post a review of your stay with us. It's great to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and your dining experience at a couple of the neighborhood restaurants. Bullfeathers is a local favorite. I'm glad you got to experience a little taste of Capitol Hill. Thanks again for the review. Please come back soon.

New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2014

Stayed here during Xmas week 2013. Picked this hotel due to location and Trip Advisor info. Hotel had good pricing (even during Xmas and even with high parking cost). This is a nice quiet neighborhood hotel, not at all like most of the downtown business hotels with all the crowds and noise in and around them. DC was crowded but this hotel though busy had a calm feeling and was perfect for getting to major attractions by foot. Very short, easy walk to Capitol, Library of Congress and Supreme Court - and also to Metro. If you are a walker, it's also an easy walk to capitol mall and all Smithsonian attractions. We walked to White House from hotel (but that is a long walk).

Hotel rooms were fine, but bathroom was very small (my wife did not like this). Bed was soft but comfortable. We stayed in main building at end of hallway by an alley. If you want quiet, don't stay in rooms 224-230 since there is a garbage truck that backs into the alley at 7:30am every morning except Sunday. Truck probably would not have woken us but I was awake and definitely heard the truck. Ask for rooms 219-223 (or above them on any higher floor) - these rooms face a very quiet residential street and are away from the elevator and away from the alley.

Breakfast buffet was good - nice choice of food and plentiful (if you get there early). The last 30 minutes of breakfast, they tended to run out of food. Several people complained. I spoke to the manager Dante Johnson about this (after the fact since he was away this week) and he indicated he will take action about this.

Staff was very nice and there is always coffee/tea in the lobby, which though small is a nice area to sit and sip your drink. Valet is quick and there is in and out privileges.

Room Tip: If you want quiet, don't stay in rooms 224-230 since there is a garbage truck that backs into th...
Green Features: The hotel had new sheets every day if you wanted, but we used the card in the room to indicate that we did not require new sheets daily during our stay.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank ams44
Donte J, General Manager at Capitol Hill Hotel, responded to this review, January 10, 2014
Hello ams44,

Thank you for staying with us for Christmas week and for posting this detaileld review of that stay. It's always festive in Washington during The Holidays. We're glad you were able to visit and take in some of the sites. We appreciate your great feedback and I appreciate you taking a moment to share your observations with me regarding our breakfast service.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2013

We are on the fourth night of our five-night stay, and I can't wait to visit here again. Location is superb, good size room with walk-in AND coat closets. We've had plenty of space for our party of three, which includes a teenage male. I wandered into the lobby on night two for an extra room key, and the gentleman at the desk called me by name (last time I experienced that was at a Ritz-Carlton). TV had an issue, and it was replaced within 15 minutes of our call. No noise from other rooms, and I know there are families with small children here. Easy, easy walk to Metro. Excellent continental breakfast. And my favorite? Iced water with orange slices when you step inside the door. Every single time.

Room Tip: Two queen beds suites are difficult to find in DC hotels. These are incredibly comfortable!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Hello Stephanie L,

Thank you for staying with us and for posting this wonderful review. Our team works really hard to ensure that our guests are well taken care of. So, we're ecstatic to hear that you enjoyed your stay. We really appreciate you sharing your experience with us and fellow travelers.

Saint Louis, Missouri, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2013

This was my fourth trip to DC this year. It was my first time at the Capitol Hill Hotel but I definitely look forward to returning here. First, it is an excellent value. A larger than usual room (a suite with kitchenette--microwave and refrigerator) with appealing decor. Second, it is convenient. Just blocks from the Library of Congress, the Supreme Court and the Capitol. Also a short walk to a Metro stop. I walked to the Newseum. You could get around easily. Third, there's a nice breakfast offered daily. It's more than just a continental breakfast as there were cold cuts, yogurt and boiled eggs (and breads and pastries). Fourth, the staff is great! From the person who greets you at the door, to the front desk staff (Hichem was one name I got), to the breakfast room staff, to the housekeeping staff--this is a hotel where they know how to make guests feel appreciated. There's an inviting room off the lobby where coffee, tea and water are available 24/7. It's also a nice place to just sit and relax. I'm just sorry I didn't know about the Capitol Hill Hotel on my three prior visits. I can't wait to return. There is no restaurant onsite or room service but there are several restaurants very close by.

Room Tip: There are two buildings. Breakfast is served in the second building (not where the front desk is lo...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank AClarke625
Hello AClarke625,

Thank you for staying with us and for posting this fantastic review! It's great to read that you were well taken care of. Hichem does a great job and we're fortunate to have him. I also love reading that you enjoyed the hotel amenities. We try to provide a comfortable and engaging experience to each of our guests. I'm glad you're happy with your choice to stay here. We hope to have you back soon.

Springfield, Massachusetts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 25, 2013

This is my third stay here, and in some ways it is about the same, and in other ways it has gone down hill. Unfortunately, before, the whole staff seemed more than willing to be helpful, this time it was spotty. My room was musty and I was told they've "never had that problem, it was just the damp weather". But you could definitely smell it in the hallway. The beds were saggy, everything just had a tired feel to it. Maybe I am spoiled by full breakfasts at other hotels, but the overboiled eggs with cereal were not very appetizing and we skipped it after day one. The worst part was finding out at the end that the valet parking was $40 a night - almost a third of the price of the hotel, making it not a bargain at all. I asked about that when I saw it on my bill, and was given a "oh well, you should have been told" (I definitely was not)... and when I said I wouldn't be able to give a good review, she just smiled. So overall, yes, the location is great. The room is big, and has a kitchen. (The last rooms I stayed in were much nicer.) The staff was ok, but no one seemed very excited to be there or interested in helping much - at least behind the desk. The guys who got my car were very nice. I was told they are renovating the place, but until then, I would not stay there again. Very disappointing stay at a place I've thought of as "like home".

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank RachelL58
Hello RachelL58,

Thank you for staying with us and for posting a review of your visit. I'm really sorry to hear that your stay fell short of your expectations. This is certainly not the kind of experience we strive to deliver to our guests. I'd love to hear more about it if you have a moment. In the meantime, I will review this with our Guest Services team to ensure that we do better moving forward. Thanks again for sharing your feedback. It's greatly appreciated.

New City, New York, USA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 24, 2013

We came to Washington on a snowy Sunday for an ever at the Supreme Court. This location was excellent.We walked to the court, the mall and metro. Restaurants are within walking distance, some even opened Sunday. We were warmly welcomed but a friendly, helpful staff. Coffee and flavored water is available in the lobby if you don't want to use the kitchenette in the room. One cold day they even had hot chocolate. Wine hour in the lobby was a lovely touch. Breakfast in the next building was available every morning.
The hotel itself will be undergoing a needed renovation starting after Christmas so I won't comment on the bedding and room furniture which is being replaced. The rooms have some old features, pocket doors to the bathroom, which can be difficult. Wifi is sporadic. A word of warning, do NOT accept room 127. It is ground level with an active driveway . Garbage trucks, deliveries, cars and in our case salt spreaders pass the windows starting early in the morning.
valet parking is available for a price. AAA discount is the best way to go.

Room Tip: East building has the breakfast so you don't need to walk out to get it. Stay away from rooms on...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Hello Suziq614,

Thank you for taking a moment to post a review of your stay with us. I'm glad you had an enjoyable stay with us. It's great to hear that you liked the neighborhood. Capitol Hill is second to none. Also, thank you for mentioning that we're undergoing an exciting, very quiet, very strategically well-contained renovation. Our rooms will be brand new in a couple of months. I hope you have an excuse to come back soon. Thanks again for the review.