“Great room, excellent location, excellent customer service”
Review of Capitol Hill Hotel

Capitol Hill Hotel
Ranked #11 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersBronze level
charlotte, nc
“Great room, excellent location, excellent customer service”
Reviewed July 18, 2013

Even though this hotel has good to great ratings overall, I had some hesitation because other reviewers cited that some of the rooms are small. My concerns were completely relieved when we walked in and there was plenty of space! I was traveling with a college friend and we booked one queen bed in the junior suite. I brought my oversized inflatable mattress and after moving two chairs, there was plenty of room to inflate my queen size mattress with room to spare. She advised the hotel bed was comfy.

Location is great....close walk to the Capital, shops and restaurants on Pennsylvania Avenue, and a short block to the Metro (train) and several bus stops. We were able to get around with ease.

The FREE breakfast was pretty good. As a southerner, I love my full hot breakfast with grits, meats, hot eggs, etc., so to have boiled eggs (which once salted and peppered were tasty), baked goods, meat slices, cheeses, etc. was a let down, BUT it was all tasty, we got full, and again, it was free.

Staff were extremely friendly. Kendra greeted us with a smile when we checked in, Cedric the valet helped with our bags, and we even had an opportunity to meet the hotel manager, Mr. Johnson, who was very personable and visible, whether he was walking through the breakfast area to inspect everything or simply in the lobby area. I cannot think of any other time I have traveled and seen such a hands on, visible manager. I imagine his professional staff is a reflection of him and his leadership.

Yes, the bathrooms are very tiny, but they were clean and well decorated.

Parking is expensive ($44 per night). This is DC, so parking is costly, but I think this hotel's parking fee is a little higher than most (a cousin was in town during the same time and her hotel, closer to the convention center, charged only $35 per night and I passed another near DuPont Circle which advertised $39 per night).

Our only gripe was that while housekeeping came and cleaned our room on the second day do our stay, they need did not leave fresh towels, washcloths, etc. However, a quick call to guest services resulted in fresh bath linens and a sincere apology.

We are very pleased with our stay and we both indicated we would stay here again the next time we were in town!

Room Tip: Breakfast is served in Building Two. It is a short walk, which could get cold or wet depending on t...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank carolinasunshine13
Donte J, General Manager at Capitol Hill Hotel, responded to this review, July 19, 2013
Hello carolinasunshine13,

Thank you for posting this fantastic review! I’m glad you didn’t succumb to your hesitation. Almost every hotel has a couple of rooms that are on the “cozier” side. Typically that’s where the savings are stashed. We had a review today from a guest who was happy to move to a smaller room for a decrease on her room rate. It’s not something we’ll always be able to do. But, we were happy to accommodate her.
Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. And, in my humble opinion, the only thing that beats a hot breakfast is a complimentary breakfast. We look to provide a great variety and items and something to suit very dietary need.
Parking in Washington is typically pretty expensive. It is worth noting that our current rate is inclusive of tax. Perhaps we should present this differently to make it easier to compare us to the other hotels in the area. Although $44 is not cheap, it prices us right in the middle of the DuPont Circle hotel you passed and the hotel where your cousin stayed (and it’s the best value on Capitol Hill).
I’d be truly remiss if I didn’t take a moment to share how much I appreciate your kind words about me and the team here at the hotel. There’s little in this business more gratifying than having a guest take the time to share their experience with others and, in doing so, mention members of the team by name. Kendra and Corric are great and they work really hard at taking great care of our guests. Your recommendation is the highest compliment we can receive. So, thanks again for posting this review. We hope you come back to visit soon.

Donte Johnson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (279)
  • Hebrew first
Essex
Reviewed July 18, 2013

We stayed 4 nights and were really pleased with the hotel. The reception staff were really good. It's just a five minute walk to the nearest metro or an equal distance to the Capitol buildings. The neighbourhood is very residential, leafy and felt very safe. There was also lovely iced, fruited water to come home to in each lobby. We had a King Suite so my daughter could have the sofa- bed in the lounge and some space of her own. The kitchen unit was very good and nice and clean.This suite worked well for us. The only reason I haven't given this hotel an Excellent rating is the breakfast service. I had read that the room was going to be small and a squeeze for the number of guests and we had no real problem with this, we shared tables. However, I do object to being told that breakfast is served to 10am and going down at 9.40 and finding everything has run out. No prepared fruit, no yoghurt, no porridge, no bread, no bagels and no muffins. Plenty of cereal was available but that was it. If they intend to offer a breakfast they should do so. The staff were off-hand/rude and just said that everything had run out. They even locked the doors to the breakfast room at 9.50 to stop anyone else coming in. This really let an otherwise very good hotel down. Despite this I would recommend the hotel and would stay there again.

Room Tip: There are two parts to the hotel in separate blocks. The main one has the reception but the other bl...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank MLGCEssex
Hello MLGC Essex,

Thank you for posting a review of your experience with us here on Tripadvisor. It's great to read that you enjoyed your stay and had so many great things to share about your visit. I've reviewed your breakfast experience with our team. Although we order quite generously for the number of guests we anticipate having we're also going to be more diligent with noting the correct number of guests in each room to avoid shortages moving forward. In any instance, there's no excuse for rudeness or simply locking the door. That falls well short of the manner in which we aspire to treat our guests. And I'm certain this will not be the case moving forward. So, feel free to recommend us until your heart is content. I really appreciate the review and we hope to have you with us again on your next visit to Washington.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed July 16, 2013

My family stayed here for a week in January 2013. The staff were helpful and friendly, the rooms were nice. It is in a location that is close to public transport, restaurants or a nice walk to the National Mall and a good value for your money. This Australian family enjoyed our stay here and would like to say thankyou for having us.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Donte J, General Manager at Capitol Hill Hotel, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
Hello Michelle D,

Thank you for taking a moment to recommend us to fellow travelers here on Tripadvisor! We truly appreciate the feedback. We get guests from all over since we're so close to The National Mall and it's great to share our little piece of Washington, DC with our international visitors. Thanks again for the review. We look forward to your next trip to The US.

Charlottesville, Virginia
Reviewed July 15, 2013

My sisters and I recently stayed at this hotel for our sorority's 100th anniversary. I usually go with big chain hotels that I am familiar with but decided based on reviews this hotel didn't seem bad! I am so happy I went my gut and stayed here. The rooms was a great size for three people to share with plenty pf space for luggage and dressing. The beds were comfortable. There was a microwave, stove top and microwave which we didn't need since we had the wonderful complimentary breakfast. The metro was so close it made travel so easy and our location was so close to everything!!!! The nice residential neighborhood made us feel extremely safe while out walking. The best thing about this hotel was the staff! From check in to check out they were so friendly and accommodating. The great customer service we experienced definitely makes this hotel our new DC go to. The only thing that I would improve on if possible would be the small bathroom.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Christie H
Hello Christie H,

Thank you for posting this fantastic review! Speaking on behalf of the entire city, we were delighted to celebrate the centennial with you and your sisters. There are so many hotel choices in our nation's capital. And I know forgoing the chains and trying something different is a tremendous leap of faith. I'm glad you did and hopefully your review will help to inspire others to do the same. Thanks again and we'd love to have you back soon.

New York City, New York
Reviewed July 13, 2013

Found this location at a great rate through booking.com and then booked it based on decent TA reviews. The hotel rooms themselves are average... bathrooms could use to be updated, bed were comfortable but verging on springy. What makes this place is the fantastic location, incredibly friendly staff and the value for your money! At $159 (what we paid) we were 5-10 minute walk from the capitol building & National Mall, a 15 minute walk to Nationals Stadium (we went for Paul McCartney concert), and had easy access to trains and restaurants in the vicinity. We didn't get a chance to take advantage of the free breakfast but it is offered. As an additional bonus, the lobby always has free fresh coffee, tea and fruit infused water available for you. There's also a nice sitting area with tables where we were able to bring our own snacks and hang out.

Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Donte J, General Manager at Capitol Hill Hotel, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Hello Linsdey R,

Thank you for posting a review of your experience with us here on Tripadvisor! I agree that the location and service at the hotel can't be beat and I hope you enjoyed the concert. I actually walked down to Nationals Stadium that evening to hang out at the Fairgrounds during the concert. It's not every day that one of The Beatles is playing walking distance from your job. The atmosphere was great and just being in the vicinity was a memorable experience me. The great news about the rooms is that we're planning to begin an extensive renovation later this year. We're really excited to unveil the new rooms in early 2014. Thank you for letting us be a part of your Paul McCartney weekend. Come back and see us the next time you're in town!

Perth, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 7, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for 4 nights in late may 2013. Check in was great,with a multi-national staff taking great pleasure in learning new English phrases from a Geordie and a Jock! We had a small suite ,the bedroom and bathroom were good but the furniture and decor in the lounge area was a bit dated.The small kitchen area was a good idea ,allowing us to have coffee,snacks and cold drinks at any time.The ( complimentary) breakfast buffet was pretty good but the breakfast room was way too small for the number of guests using it.The hotel is situated in a pretty, leafy residential area 2 minutes walk from lots of local bars, shops and restaurants.This neighbourhood felt completely safe at all times.The hotel is perfectly located for DC sightseeing,5 minutes walk from the Capitol,10 minutes from Union Station(for tour buses) and 1 block from the metro station.If you don't want to walk,taxis cruise past all day.Overall ,this is a nice hotel with great staff in a fantastic location.Some improvement to the room furniture and the breakfast room would raise this review from average to good.(PS valet parking charges here are very high,but it is Washington DC so be prepared!)

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Tony M
Donte J, General Manager at Capitol Hill Hotel, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Hello Tony M,

Thank you for posting this review. I'm glad you and your wife had an enjoyable stay and were able to share a little bit of the UK with our team. We appreciate the compliments and value your constructive feedback, as well. I'm excited to share with you that we're in the process of pulling together a full room renovation that is scheduled to begin later this year. We'd love for you to come back afterwards and experience the new look.

Thanks again for the review.

Indianapolis
Reviewed July 5, 2013 via mobile

Hotel was very nice. Room was a good size for being a junior suite. We had enough room for my wife and two toddlers. It is only a block from the capital and also the metro station. Very nice neighborhood feel to the location and very safe. If you are driving I would recommend parking at union station which is only about 6 blocks away for $22 a night. Breakfast was also good. Just make sure you get there before 8am or most of the food seemed to always be gone. We would stay there again for sure.

• Stayed July 2013
Hello simon1286,

Thank you for taking a moment to post a review about your experience here at Capitol Hill Hotel. I'm glad you enjoyed your visit to The Hill. It sounds like you were able to take in some of the neighborhood charm and may have even see some of the sights, as well. It's also great to read that you enjoyed breakfast while you were with us. It's one of the most popular elements of our guest experience. The room certainly fills ups quickly. Early arrival is a great recommendation. Thank you for that.

We hope to have you back again soon.