“Good but not great”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Orlando, Florida
“Good but not great”
Reviewed July 2, 2013

Location is excellent if you are in town to see the museums . Walking distance to all the national mall monuments.
We booked a "suite with 2 queen beds and a sofa bed" . Suite is an exaggeration in term of size. But it did have a tiny area for eating and the kitchen was well equipped. The first time they assigned us to a suite that smelled bad and had a huge water spot on the ceiling. When we complained they promply switched us to a same grade suite without these issues.
My dissapoitment was with the cleaning crew. We stayed for six days and only asked once for a change of bedsheets, but unfortunately the cleaning lady did NOT change the sheets, and did a very bad job cleaning. The kitchen counter still had the coffee spill on it, and the she did not wipe the shelves in the bathroom. They do offer breakfast which was reasonable. Internet is free but very slow.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Donte J, General Manager at Capitol Hill Hotel, responded to this review, July 4, 2013
Hello Susan H,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. Although you complimented our location and breakfast it sounds like we fell short with housekeeping during your stay. We're committed to providing an outstanding experience to each of our guests. Room cleanliness is a huge part of that. We aspire to do far better than "good but not great" and your feedback will be really helpful in that quest. We'd love to have you back with us on your next visit to Washington.

Donte Johnson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (276)
  • Hebrew first
Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed June 30, 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights for a meeting at the Library of Congress. The location is great in a rather quaint neighbourhood, just one block from Capitol South subway station, next to the Library of Congress and plenty of eateries on Pennsylvania Avenue.
My only real gripe was selling my room as a "junior suite". For me a suite, even when junior, has a sitting area. The room wasn't very big to start with and was cluttered by an ottoman, which served no real purpose as you couldn't even watch TV when sitted on it! The kitchenette comprises a microwave, which I didn't use. The bathroom is minuscule.
On the plus side, the room was spotlessly clean, very quiet (I had a room at the back of the hotel) the staff very friendly and helpful.
Having breakfast included was great, and there was a very good choice of items in the continental breakfast (no cooked items).

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank catmouse
Hello catmouse,

Thank you for posting this great review! I'm glad you found that our location was convenient to The Library of Congress, Capitol South Metro, and all that there is to do on The Hill. You raise an interesting point about the room type descriptions. Our objective is to highlight the fantastic attributes of our rooms. But, we're not in the business of misleading our guests. I'll have a look at our website and booking system to ensure clarity. Thanks again for the review.

Portland, Oregon
Reviewed June 25, 2013 via mobile

After a lovely three nights at the Capital Hill Hotel I must say that I give it a very high recommendation, and to the employees I express an emphatic "well done!"
Every single part of my stay, from booking over the phone to a nice chat at checkout, was exemplary. I appreciated the fruit infused water and early morning munchies in the lobby, and the breakfast offerings were more than adequate. My room was surprisingly large, with a huge closet/dressing area, a very comfy bed, and a lovely view of the church across the street. Every employee I encountered was friendly, cheerful, and helpful. I hope to return to Washington DC in the future, and when I do I will again stay at the Capital Hill Hotel.

• Stayed June 2013
Donte J, General Manager at Capitol Hill Hotel, responded to this review, June 28, 2013
Hello leejohn7769,

Thank you for taking a moment to tell the world about your stay with us! We're highly committed to delivering a warm and memorable experience to each of our guests. A recommendation is the greatest compliment we can receive. We truly appreciate yours. We're glad you enjoyed sightseeing in our nation's capital and staying at Capitol Hill Hotel.

Thanks again for the review!

San Diego, California
Reviewed June 19, 2013

We stayed at the Capitol Hill Hotel for four nights as a family vacation to D.C. The hotel is older, so don't expect shiny and new (we had a broken drawer too!) but it was nice. As others have said, the rooms are enormous. The bathrooms are tiny, but there is a separate walk-in closet that we used as a dressing vestibule. Our kitchenette was actually a full kitchen with full-sized refrigerator, stove, microwave, the works! There was no "ette" about it other than it being space-efficient.

This hotel is convenient to the Capitol South Metro station, and walking a block to Pennsylvania Ave there are many restaurants of all types. Note that you are in an office district, so things are much quieter on weekends, and rush hour is a real consideration.

Having read the Trip Advisor reviews, we asked for a corner room with a view. The front desk told us that our room with two windows both facing the same alley WAS a corner room, but having seen the photos posted here I know we didn't get at all what we hoped in that area... Still, the brickwork was interesting enough to look at and it wasn't so bad.

We were in the building with the breakfast room - the breakfast was great, even for a gluten-free person. There was meat and cheese, yogurt, fruit, and hard-boiled egg to be had daily. Most of the food did have gluten. That's how big a selection there was! The infused water in the lobby of both buildings was also a nice touch. The kids loved looking to see the fruit flavor of the day.

Tip for families there to tour the museums: take the Metro to Smithsonian stop for the west-end museums. You can walk to the Capitol but the far end is a bit of a hike for kids. Another tip: the Rayburn House office building has a great cafeteria open to the public for weekday lunch. Fun to sit among our representatives and feel the bustle of government just for the experience of it. This hotel is great for showing the kids the working government end of downtown Washington.

I just wish they'd have worked with me a little on the view. I spend a lot of time gazing out the hotel window, as I told them, and the alley with the parked cars was a stretch to enjoy. That was my only real disappointment because it was the longest stay of our trip.

2 Thank moonunit999
Donte J, General Manager at Capitol Hill Hotel, responded to this review, June 21, 2013
Hello moonunit999,

Thank you for posting this great review! It's not only flattering, but very insightful. I really wish we would've had a front-facing room available during your stay or, even better, one on the corner of 2nd and C Streets. It's not a Manhattan Skyscraper view. But, it's more scenic and charming than the "urban courtyard" view on the back side. Aside from that it sounds like you had a great experience and that means the world to us. Thanks again for the review. We'd love for you to visit again the next time you're in town.

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed June 18, 2013

Let me start by saying I am someone who always reads reviews but for some reason I do not write them. I guess I felt strongly about our experience here and I wanted to share. This hotel choice was sent to me by my travel agent (although she did admit she had not had any of her clients stay there before). I was traveling with my husband and our "tween" daughter. We wanted a 1 bedroom suite with a kitchenette. This place fit the bill in so many ways...The rooms were large, updated, comfy, clean and quite. Our suite (room 505) had three large closets to store your belongings. There was plenty of space in the living room for us to leave the pullout couch open the entire stay. Bed and pullout were extremely comfortable as were the sheets and pillows. Towels were plenty, soft and large enough to wrap around myself and my husband after a shower (that does not happen too often in hotels). The bathroom was small but updated and used every bit of space possible for toiletries (just be sure to keep the toilet seat cover down so items do not fall in). We had no problem at all accessing the wifi in the room. Our room was in the front of the hotel and the view was overlooking the neighborhood and a catholic church. The elevator was extremely slow; however, we never had to wait for one (go figure). Laundry, business center, ice machine and gym were on the first floor. Gym was much larger than expected. A number of machines, free weights, a tv, towels and plenty of space to work out (my husband used the gym a few days). Breakfast was in the other building: whole fruit, cut up mellons, hard boiled eggs, yogurt, 6 cereals to chose from, oatmeal, pasteries, toast, juice and meats and cheeses. Awesome!! They always have coffee, tea and fruit water available downstairs at all times. The location was perfect. One block from the Metro and it is the orange line which has alot of tourist attraction stops on it. One block from Penn Ave which has alot of sandwich shops (Firehook Bakery), restaurants (Hawk & Dove), bars, and quick food (We the Pizza and Good Stuff Eatery). Felt competely safe walking in this neighborhood (day and night). We would certainly come back and stay here again. I have also given this feedback to our travel agent for recommendation to her other clients (BTW our travel agent is my mother so this goes a long way !!!)

Room Tip: Stayed on the top floor, facing the front of the hotel. Very quite. Stayed in the building with the...
4 Thank tacuscia
Donte J, General Manager at Capitol Hill Hotel, responded to this review, June 19, 2013
Hello tacuscia,

We're honored to have inspired your very first Tripadvisor review! We truly appreciate your feedback and it's great to read that you, your husband, and your daughter enjoyed your stay with us. It sounds like you had the full experience. So your review is particularly meaningful. I found your comment about the amount of closet space really interesting. It was one of the first things I noticed when I initially stepped into one of our rooms. Yet, it's not something we hear a lot about in guest feedback.

This neighborhood has a charm unlike any other part of the city. But, it's incredibly close to all of the "touristy" destinations in Washington. I enjoy it every day. So, I'm glad you had a great visit!

united states
Reviewed June 17, 2013

This hotel is in a great location - basically across the street from the Capitol but it still has a neighborhood feel - with historic row houses, churches and other residences on the same block. It is walking distance from numerous restaurants and a short block and a half from the nearest metro station so a car is not needed. The staff was incredibly friendly and helpful. I stayed in the lobby building (there are two buildings, one with breakfast, one with the lobby). The lobby building is pretty dated and needs some work, but the prices for this location cannot be beat. The breakfast was incredibly convenient for a work trip and added to the overall value of the room. This is not the Four Seasons, so you can expect to find chipping paint and a broken drawer here and there but if you want something affordable (relatively speaking) in the heart of the city, you could do much worse. I was traveling alone for business and I felt completely safe at all times in this neighborhood - walking to dinner and around the mall. I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: I think the rooms in the breakfast building have been updated so ask for a room in that building.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Donte J, General Manager at Capitol Hill Hotel, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
Hello 2dkdkd,

Thank you for taking a moment to post a review of your stay with us here on Tripadvisor. I'm glad your stay was enjoyable and that you were well taken care of by our team. Although we're not a part of a huge chain that doesn't mean that we strive for anything less than excellence. We're planning an exciting room renovation later this year to update and enhance the look of our rooms. In the meantime, we'll go through and put a fresh coat of paint where it is needed and fix any broken drawers. Thanks again for the review. We really appreciate your feedback.

Orlando, Florida
Reviewed June 12, 2013

We love staying here and this time we were visiting DC to attend our latest granddaughters Baptism which was in the church ... right across the street! Welcomed by staff members we recalled from previous visits (always a good sign) given an upgraded room and a great welcome, a late check-out when we left and friendly cheerful service throughout our stay we were happy to return yet again. Still great value, large clean rooms ... keep it up!

Hello JohnandJudyFlorida,

Thanks so much for this excellent review! I'm glad you were able to make it up to town for your granddaughter's Baptism and that everything went well with your stay. "A welcomed return" is a very reassuring title to read on a review of the hotel and I'm glad we could deliver an experience that met your expectations. The next time you visit we look forward to surpassing the mark. We hope you have a great summer and we'd love to have you back soon.