“Great hotel a block from the Mall” 5 of 5 bubbles

Capitol Hill Hotel
Ranked #11 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersBronze level
Chicago
“Great hotel a block from the Mall”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2013

If you're headed to D.C. for sightseeing on the Mall, I can't imagine a better hotel. It's a block from the eastern end of the Mall, and about that far from a Metro stop. It's easy getting here on the Metro from Reagan National Airport. Plus, you can walk to the National Gallery in about 20 minutes, or to the Library of Congress in about 5 minutes. Despite being so close to the mall, the hotel is very close to quite a few restaurants. The hotel offers a huge "continental" breakfast that includes yogurts, fresh fruit, cereals, bagels and cream cheese, etc. Staff are friendly, and storing luggage either before you check in or after you check out is no problem. Rooms aren't huge, but they're comfortable, and we found our room to be very quiet, even though we were there on a weekend. (Rates tends to be much, much higher during the week than on weekends.) This was our second time staying in the hotel, about five years after the first time, and we'll stay here the next time we go to D.C.

1 Thank JMAChicago
Donte J, General Manager at Capitol Hill Hotel, responded to this review, May 1, 2013
Hello JMAChicago,

Thank you for posting this fantastic review! I'm glad you loved our location. It really is great to be so close to so much. I've just recently joined the team here and, even as a native Washingtonian, I love to explore the neighborhood every chance I get. I hope to have you with us again soon!

Thanks again for the review.

Donte Johnson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (253)
  • Hebrew first
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2013

My husband and I stayed five nights at the Capitol Hill Hotel. The Hotel is 6 blocks from Union Station, a few minutes walk from the National Mall, and a block from cafes, bottle stores, and pubs. We went to Dupont Circle for dinner one night which was a $14 cab fare + tip.

On arrival, reception staff were very nice and helpful. At checkin we were offered the choice of a room with twin queen beds, or a kingsize bed in a suite. We opted for the latter. The hotel is comprised of two buildings. Our room was no. 128, which was located on the first floor of the corner building. We had windows on three sides of the suite, one side overlooked a grassed area, and the other two looked onto lane ways. The ample - sheer, and block out - drapes, provided as much, or as little, privacy as desired. Traffic in the lanes could be heard at times, but it was not unbearable.

The suite was pleasantly decorated in varied patterns which worked well together. The kitchenette had a coffee maker, cutlery, crockery, microwave, sink and a fridge. There was a television in the bedroom and the living area. The bathroom was compact, and very clean. Three sets of white fluffy towels were provided.

The bed was FABULOUS. We both agree that this was the most comfortable bed we have ever slept in :) Loved the feather duvet and pillows.

I would describe the lighting as "mood lighting". We were ok with the lighting, however I could see that some might find it frustrating. There were two wardrobes, one of which was in a dark corner, which made it little difficult to see inside. The other robe was large and well lit, and housed an iron and ironing board, bathrobes, and laundry bag.

Breakfast was included in the tariff and this was served in the other building. The variety of items offered for breakfast was very good.

Wi fi was also included in the tariff.

The hotel has a gym, business centre, laundry, and lounge areas where tea and coffee were available. Reception has a small "market" where you can buy laundry powder, cool drinks, biscuits, etc. The hotel were very helpful with change for the washer and dryer.

We liked this hotel because of its proximity to the National Mall, it was in a pleasant neighbourhood, and its boutique size/style. Perfection is hard to find. Overall, we found this accommodation to be very good and we would definitely stay here on another occasion.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
Donte J, General Manager at Capitol Hill Hotel, responded to this review, May 3, 2013
Hello Zeddy-boo!

Thanks so much for posting this fantastic review! I especially appreciate the level of detail and the amount of information you shared with fellow travelers. I love being so close to The National Mall and it's great to read that our team took great care of you during your stay. Come back to visit The Hill again soon!

Thanks again,

Ann Arbor, MI
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2013

There were some things we liked about this hotel: roomy rooms with a couch, coffee table, kitchenette. 1 1/2 blocks to orange/blue Metro line. Decent breakfast. Beds way too squishy -- no support.

Unfortunately, the room had issues. I wondered why the shower floor looked like it had the mange (peeling surface) and looked dirty. We discovered why the next morning: by the end of the shower, we were standing in 5 inches of water. Also, the outlet in the bathroom did not work. We called to report this then went out sightseeing all day. Next morning: still 5 inches of water in the tub. We called again, end of day still not fixed. So they gave us a new room, smaller than the other one and 2 floors down overlooking the valet parking lot. No problem, we want working plumbing. Well, turns out that the toilet runs and will only flush once evey half hour or so. This lead to lots of jokes in my family about who needs to go to the bathroom the most. Also, lots of trips down a flight to use the public restroom (which was beautiful, and flushed). You'd think if you had a problem they'd make sure to put you in a room as good as the one you were leaving, and with no maintenance issues. We did not complain again -- huge hassle to change rooms a second time with 4 people. Not acceptable considering the significant cost of staying there. The economy hotel we stayed in on the way there was 1/3 of the price and the plumbing worked perfectly.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Amy J
Hello Amy J,

Thank you for taking a moment to post a review of your Capitol Hill Hotel experience here on Tripadvisor. It's great to read that you enjoyed the size of our rooms and the convenience of our location. I'm really sorry about the plumbing issues you experienced with us. We want everyone to use the bathroom as much as they'd like. So, please be fully assured that this issue has been addressed. Also, we're in the process of getting the tub in this room and any others like it resurfaced. I'd love to hear from you if I can assist with anything in the future. We'd certainly love for you to give us another try.

Virginia Beach, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

My husband and I visited DC to celebrate our anniversary and see the sights over a long weekend. We were looking for a nice suite, and certainly found what we were looking for. It's conveniently located to the metro, and easy walk to the Capitol and (if you like to walk like we do), the mall and Smithsonian.

My husband is still raving about the comfortable beds. I am still talking about the friendly and accommodating staff. Our train arrived early in the morning, and we stopped by the hotel at 10 am to store our luggage, never expecting our room would be available. Staff were also helpful in recommending restaurants, suggesting the best way to get to different places, and were quick to smile and greet us.

1 Thank 2blackdog4
Hello 2blackdog4,

Thanks for posting this fantastic review of Capitol Hill Hotel! We really appreciate you sharing your experience with fellow travelers here on Tripadvisor. I'm glad you and your husband had an enjoyable getaway. Come back to see us again soon. We'd love to have you.

Indianapolis
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

After years of traveling to D.C. I decided to stay at the Capitol Hotel due to meetings in the area. What a find! The hotel is in a wonderful neighborhood in the Capitol Hill area, with streets lined with lovely brownstones and restaurants. The hotel is off the main drag of Pennsylvania Ave, so it's very quiet in the neighborhood. That said, one block away the area is bustling with sites and restaurants. A perfect location.

The room itself was quite comfortable and large. I had a corner room with views out two windows and two different streets. The bedding was nice, and there was plenty of room to work. The bathroom was sufficient and there was the convenience of a small kitchenette just off the bath area. The only complaint is that there wasn't much sink space in the bathroom, but with the small kitchenette area just off to the side (with full length mirror), this made up for the lack of space in the bathroom itself.

The front desk service was wonderful, and there is a very nice lounge area off the main lobby with nice seating, coffee, tea and juices. There is also a light breakfast served here in the morning which included muffins. The largest morning breakfast is served in building right next door so even though you have to go outside, it is just steps away (I didn't take advantage of the breakfast service, only the morning muffins, which were delicious).

I would definitely stay here again if in the Capitol Hill area!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank bisquin
Hello bisquin,

Thank you for sharing this great review of Capitol Hill Hotel here on Tripadvisor. It's great to read that your stay was a good one. I'm glad you were able to enjoy all of the charm of Capitol Hill. It's especially great to read that you were well taken care of by our team. You'll have to come back to visit soon and definitely partake in the continental breakfast.

Thanks again for the review.

Newark
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

This is the second year I have stayed here for the March Rock 'N Roll DC marathon. Great location in the city. One block away to eat and drink on Pennsylvania Ave. 2mikes from race start but train is less than two blocks away. Will stay here again. The only downside is parking. You can pay for valet parking in advance but there are limited spots. I parked at the Amtrak station ($22/day) about 1.1miles from Hotel. The parking is the only guest complaint I heard while staying.

• Stayed March 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Donte J, General Manager at Capitol Hill Hotel, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Hello DBofDE,

Thanks for staying with us and posting your review of Capitol Hill Hotel. I'm glad your weekend on The Hill was an enjoyable one. We love having you all with us. I can barely get past one mile on a treadmill so I tip my hat to anyone who finishes a marathon. Well done and we hope to see you next year!

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2013

The attitude of the staff here seems to be that the customer is always wrong! I arrived with a confirmation code printout from my client stating dates, room rate and billable party. First I was told that the reservation didn't exist. Then it was argued that I was the responsible party for the bill. Finally I was told that everything was straightened out with the client, and they just needed my credit card for incidentals. At checkout they billed my credit card anyway at $80/night over the reserved rate! Elements of my negotiations were right out of Alice in Wonderland. One clerk insisted over the phone that my reservation code was no longer in the system and then 5 minutes later insisted I take it down (same number) for future reference. I was also told that the over-billed rates "averaged" out to the quoted rate. Ridiculous. I felt like at times they were literally making stuff up to get me to move on. To my relief, the issue, while still not satisfactorily resolved, is now in the hands of my client. I'm really not a complainer, and if it had been just one staff member I would certainly not point my finger at the company. This attitude was pervasive and I will not be returning.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank elegiac610
Hello elegiac610,

Thank you for taking a moment to post this compelling review of your experience with us. I could not be more disappointed with the interactions you had during your stay. You have my every assurance that this has been fully reviewed and addressed with our team. This will not happen to you or any guest in the future at Capitol Hill Hotel. I'd love to hear from you if you're coming back to the area or if I can be of any assistance, at all, moving forward.