“A great alternative to DC's convention hotels”
Review of Capitol Hill Hotel

Capitol Hill Hotel
Ranked #8 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed March 13, 2013

Capitol Hill Hotel is on a residential street one block from the Metro and close to the House side of Capitol Hill. The staff is friendly and welcoming, the continental breakfast offers plenty to eat and is fresh (it was located a very short walk in the Annex next door to my room in the hotel), the room is good sized and on a quiet street, with small refrigerator, microwave and coffeemaker. The hotel is well maintained and clean (the furniture will be getting a needed upgrade shortly), and the price is well below the conference rate for name brand hotels in downtown DC. You are also a block or two away from good restaurants on Pennsylvania Avenue and 2nd and 3rd Street. For those of you like me who attend conferences in DC and want to get away from the large and impersonal hotels that host them, this is an ideal solution. Although I didn't try it, you can even get a variety of take-out meals delivered to your room.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank jimsky
Donte J, General Manager at Capitol Hill Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2013

Hello Jimsky,

Thanks for posting this great review. Kudos to you for forgoing the "big box" and trying out a stylish boutique hotel on The Hill. As a native Washingtonian I love welcoming people to this neighborhood. Thanks again for the review. Visit again soon!

Donte Johnson

Write a ReviewReviews (1,756)

Reviewed March 2, 2013

The rooms are old but well taken care of and clean - The bathroom is tiny but maneuverable. We stayed over the weekend when it was pretty empty, got a room with a full view of a brick wall. I would not mind staying here if I have to come to DC for business at the capitol, but would not syat for a weekend visit - which is often the case for us - because I am sure we can get better value elsewhere. We were told that the continental breakfast was at the next building, did not care to dress up and so there - you have to get out of the hotel. Valet parking was convenient, but probably will be quite expensive.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank deryapa
Donte J, General Manager at Capitol Hill Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 2, 2013

Hello deryapa,

Thanks for posting a review of Capitol Hill Hotel. We appreciate you staying with us and complimenting our fantastic housekeeping team. We really hard to keep the place up and it's always gratifying when it makes an impression on our guests.

We hope you come back even if you aren't in town on business. We can even help you get set up with a room in the East Wing for an easier breakfast experience.

Thanks again for the review.

Reviewed February 24, 2013

My wife and 13 year old daughter stayed there for four days in February 2013. I had lived in DC for several years in the 80's and wanted to show my daughter how great our nations capital is to visit. After hours of research we found this hotel, which wasn't around when I lived in DC. For the price it is spectacular. The staff was friendly, helpful and professional. The location can't be beat. Two blocks from the capitol and two blocks from the Tune In Restuarant! How much better can it get? The rooms are spacious and comfortably appointed. The continental breakfast was fresh and good every morning, having something for my health conscience wife and finicky 13 year old daughter. Our king size bed was terrific and the pull out couch was fine for our daughter until she laid in our bed. Our only disappointment was that we couldn't stay longer.

Room Tip: We stayed in a corner room in the back of the hotel which abutted an alley that commercial vehicles...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank SnyderBoston
Donte J, General Manager at Capitol Hill Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 1, 2013

Hello SnyderBoston,

Thanks for posting this great review of our hotel. These are the types of reviews that I love to read. I think the breakfast is a nice touch and I agree that the hotel is a great value whether you're here for a quick business trip or a family vacation.
I hope you were able to jam a lot of fantastic sightseeing and events into your visit (but, not so much that you don't have to come back). Please let me know if there's anything I can do to help with your next trip.

Thanks again,

donte.johnson@capitolhillhotel-dc.com
202.448.2080

Reviewed February 20, 2013

This is an attractive, well-appointed hotel. The rooms are spacious and comfortable. Very comfortable bed. The location cannot be beat. Steps from the Capitol and Library of Congress. Only a block from the Capitol South Metro stop--on the same line as the Metro to Regan National Airport. Nice fitness center.

I stayed for four nights. Only two of the mornings did I have reliably hot water. The second morning it was lukewarm and the third morning it was just barely hot. When I complained the first time it wasn't hot, I was informed that they were working on it, but that since a large conference group was staying at the hotel everyone was taking showers at the same time and that had caused problems. Um, yes, that's what happens at hotels. That's not really a valid explanation for a lack of hot water.

I also heard a desk clerk arguing with a guest about her original reservation. Even though the hotel was willing to change her room to one with a more desirable bed configuration, the clerk insisted on pointing out repeatedly that the woman had not originally requested this. What difference does that make if they were changing it anyway? Not necessary and not a good show of service.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank Liz L

Hello izzytravels,

Thank you for taking the time to post this review. I appreciate the comments about our location and rooms. Also, I've shared your service experience with our team. This falls well short of the manner in which we typically treat our guests. We have addressed the issue you mentioned with our hot water supply. Additionally, we're currently planning to increase the capacity even more in the coming months. Please contact me directly if I can help with anything in the future.

Again, thank you for the review and we hope to have you back soon.

Reviewed February 16, 2013

I stayed from January 2nd to 5th 2013. Its my first time.

I do read reviews carefully and after finding out what other guest said about this, I had to stay at this hotel. Let me share some facts you should know:

PROS:
- Room, sound proofing was good, clean,layout is great and it has kitchenette which served our purpose.
- The two queen beds were really confortable.
- The complimentary WIFI speed was good. No complains there.
- It's close to the capital and metro station,
- Included breakfast is not the tipical 'generic' breakfast, there is ample to choose from.
- Staff is very friendly and helpful. Specially Fikre who works at the valet.
- I personally like hotels were management is reading and replying back to guest at Tripadvisor.

CONS:
- The hotel address found at internet in December did not help me at all with the GPS. Thanks to a police I was able to get to the hotel. Front desk confirmed others had mentioned this point. So you may want call to the hotel prior arriving to know the correct address before.

- After entering into the room, some sort of toxic bad smell came out of the A/C but were quickly reassigned to another room.

In summary: Would I be willing to return to this hotel? Yes.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
10  Thank VictorPr
Ian H, General Manager at Capitol Hill Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 20, 2013

Victor,

Thank you again for your kind words and honest feedback, both of which are critical to our success through continuous improvements. As we discussed in our email conversations, I am sorry for the initial issues with the HVAC system in your first room. I assure you that we take any maintenance issues seriously and that particular issue has been resolved.

I am however elated to see that Fikre was able to make such a lasting impression with you and I will be sure and share your comments with him. Please feel free to allow me to personally assist with any future bookings with us as I remain at your service.

Yours truly,

Reviewed February 13, 2013

This was our 2nd time staying at the hotel. The hotel had been renovated since our last stay a couple of years ago. We staying in the one bedroom suite which was very nice, completely updated and very clean. The staff was excellent, from the front desk people to housekeeping to the breakfast staff. The location is near the Capitol and across from the Library of Congress and only 2 blocks from the Metro. If you need to be near the Capitol, this is the place to stay.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Rick D

Rick D,

Family is so important and on behalf of our entire Capitol Hill Family, a big thank you for sharing your experience with your fellow loyal travelers. It is good to see that our recent ‘home improvements’ provided you and your family with an upgraded service experience and we truly appreciate your loyalty to us over the years.

I look forward to saying hello during your next visit, so please do stop by if you have a chance.

All the best,

Reviewed February 10, 2013

The staff at the hotel went above and beyond to make our stay terrific. We stayed over Inauguration weekend and with the amount of traffic and events, the staff were really helpful. We may have paid a premium for that weekend, but got an amazing room and service.

Room Tip: This hotel is 2blocks from the Capitol but in a neighborhood setting. They have 2 separate buildings...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family

Nancy V,

We are so happy that we had the opportunity to go the ‘extra mile’ for you and we would cherish the chance to serve you again when you are out this way!

Thanks for your wonderful feedback and we will see you soon.

Warm Regards,