“Great room but watch the bill and the parking”

Kimpton Topaz Hotel
Ranked #83 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
cpabob
“Great room but watch the bill and the parking”
Reviewed September 20, 2007

I stayed at roughly a dozen hotels in the DC area over the last two months due to business commitments. I limited my selections to 3 and 4 star hotels. Out of the dozen I would rate this hotel in the top five based primarily on the quality of the room. The room was perfect in both size and decor. A secondary reason is the location because it was near many attractions.

The only issue I had was with room service. Before going up to my room, I previewed a menu in the bar and saw a hamburger for $11.00 on the menu. When I got to my room I called room service and asked for that hamburger. The bill came to over $22.00. I was charged $14.00 instead of $11.00 "because it was room service". I was charged an additional $2.50 fee "because it was room service". On top of this I was automatically charged a 20% gratuity "because it was room service". When I complained I was told that "some hotels charge $5.00 for a bottle of water". When I said, "yeah but they put $5.00 on the menu so a customer can decide up front if they want to pay it before they order it and that's not the same as putting $11.00 on the menu and charging $23.00". My complaint fell on deaf ears with the front desk and the hotel manager. They acted like they couldn't understand what I was complaining about. However, when I subsequently called the 800 number for the Kimpton chain, they agreed with me that what was done was deceptive and they made the hotel knock $10.00 off the bill. The $10.00 isn't the issue, its the way they did it. Nice hotel but be careful.

Also, during my stay we took a walk through the neighborhood and noticed some undesirables bothering folks who parked on the street near the front of the hotel. They would direct the drivers to a vacant spot that the drivers would have seen anyhow, then once the drivers exited their cars, the drivers were prompted for a "tip" for the "help" that was provided to them in helping the drivers "find" a parking spot. Hotel staff watched while this was going on and apparently did nothing as it was going on when we left and still was going on when we returned over an hour later. I guess the hotel figures it will prompt more people to pay the hotel for valet parking (over $20.00 a night) rather than parking on the street for free.

• Liked — The decor of the room
  • Disliked — Room service
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled solo
2 Thank cpabob

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (212)
  • Korean first
Telford, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 13, 2007

We chose the Topaz after reading reviews on Trip Advisor. We arrived very late on a Sunday night and asked for a quiet room (following some of the comments we had read about lift noise). The room was very quite at night, although you do get the expected city noises fairly early in a morning. The room was very spacious (by British standards) and lovely and clean, but I agree with other reviews that the bathrooms are a little short of space. There was no view (we overlooked the hotels parking lot), but this didn't diminish the quality of the stay at all. The hotel staff were all pleasant and helpful - great recommendations for restaurants were provided (California Pizza House and the DuPont Grill in the Jury's Inn).
We didn't eat in the hotel, but the bar was reasonably priced (for a hotel). The decor of the hotel is a bit quirky, but very comfortable all the same (it reminded me of the film 'Beetleguese' for some reason...).
The hotel is a short walk from DuPont circle, but is also only 15-20 minutes walk to the Whitehouse / Mall area. It is slightly off the main areas and down a quiet street, but we didn't feel unsafe at all.
We will definitely use the Topaz when we go to Washington again!

Stayed August 2007
New York City, New York
Reviewed September 11, 2007

The hotel is in a great location close to many restaurants and shops. The staff is great. the room was a lot more than I expected. It was big, with a nice king bed, desk coffee table two chairs and a safe. The bathroom had Aveda products which were a really nice touch. Oh the room also had a vanity table with a big mirror and automan to sit and do your make up. I loved the room and the service. From now on when I travel I will look for Kimpton hotels.

• Liked — decor
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
Birmingham, Alabama
Reviewed August 27, 2007

We got a special internet rate of $104 per day for a long weekend stay. We love the hotel, the location, and the staff. Our room is very big with king size bed, sitting area and working desk. I wish they could add more storage for clothing and toiletries. For 2 people, the space is not enough. However, that was a minor flaw comparing to other good features. We will definitely stay there again.

• Liked — location and price
  • Disliked — not enough proper storage space for 2 people
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed July 27, 2007

The hotel had a special rate on the internet for $156, and that got us a nice, clean cozy room. Very nice firm mattress, free internet connection (though the hotel next door actually had a stronger signal), bathrobes, etc. The bathroom was very small and looked a little dilapidated., but that was the only slightly negative thing about the room. It's located on a quiet street within easy walking distance to a number of restaurants and two metro stops.

The manager kindly let us check in early, and remembered our names throughout the stay. We asked for a razor to be brought up (having forgotten that we can take them through airport security now). After about 25 minutes, they brought up a small pack of cheap, single blade razors that drew blood. We ended up buying a better quality.

The bar downstairs seemed quite lively, though we did not go there. The restaurant at the Tabard Inn right next door is excellent, though. Reason enough to stay at the cheaper Topaz.

Overall, a great experience, and would definitely return.

• Liked — Friendly service, great mattress
  • Disliked — bathroom
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank faura
Virginia
Reviewed July 18, 2007

This is probably my fourth or fifth Kimpton hotel and the Topaz will get our repeat business. The location is excellent on Dupont Circle with the very homey Tabard Inn next door which offers a great place to dine with Washingtonians. (The Tabard is reasonably priced for a full breakfast option, too.)
The Topaz Hotel offers a zen theme and tiny tastes of health juices in the morning plus coffee in the lobby. The best thing about the Topaz is the decor of the rooms and quality of beds. Room size is exceptional. Baths are small but stylish with very good water pressure and nice faucets etc. Two Queen option is really great and beds are very comfy. Decor is fun and creative without being too trendy. The place is very clean and updated with a theme that seems to tie in well to the N Street townhouses and residential feeling. Great retreat from the madding crowds in tourist spots all day. Great access to good places to eat..we tried the Kimpton Hotel Madera's Firefly and found it to be also very homey and non tourist-y...reasonable, too.
I wanted to carry in my own bags this time...and this was good because there is no one there dying to carry them in for you. Valet parking was quick and handled with great ease. Staff was cordial and special requests honored quickly. This place feels so non-corporate and is a success story for Kimpton.

• Liked — decor is high quality and unique and non corporate vibe
  • Disliked — paying for overnight parking
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with friends
4 Thank scottries
Boston
Reviewed July 16, 2007

Topaz Hotel is located on a quiet street in Dupont Circle, close to the metro and all the wonderful shops and eateries. The hotel is low key with a cozy feel. The bar was very lively at night although you could not tell from our room on the 7th floor. We only had a weekend to explore the city so we didn't mind the room had no view, believe it overlooked a back alley and the bathroom was somewhat small. Aveda products made up for this! As expected, there was lots of color and patterns that Kimpton Hotels are known for. The well stocked honor bar (alcohol, bottled water, snacks, candy, personal items) was very thoughtful especially for late night arrivals. The staff was on the younger side and very friendly. Valet parking is pricey but worth it. We spent most of our time exploring the city and really appreciated the convenience of the nearby metro and plentiful taxicabs. I would definitely stay here again but wouldn't mind staying at another Kimpton hotel as nice as the Topaz.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Bathroom
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple