“Topaz is a keeper and I intend to keep Topaz as my favorite!”

Kimpton Topaz Hotel
Ranked #80 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
Kalamazoo, Michigan
“Topaz is a keeper and I intend to keep Topaz as my favorite!”
Reviewed August 11, 2010

My daughter and I had seperate rooms and her first impression was Wow! Well, ny response was the same---Wow!

• Stayed August 2010

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (215)
  • Korean first
Cary, North Carolina
Reviewed August 11, 2010

I've stayed at the Topaz twice now for business trips, and I really like it. It has an intimate feeling that I really like.

The rooms are large and comfortable and the front desk staff are extremely helpful. The Topaz Lounge is a fantastic bar...great for a nightcap.

The location is convenient to the Dupont Circle Metro so it's a nice option for tourists as well.

This being a Kimpton property, there are lots of those nice Kimpton touches: pet friendliness, complimentary beverages in the lobby (coffee/tea in the morning, Arnold Palmers in the afternoon, wine in the evening), "Raid the Minibar" program for InTouch members, etc.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
bay area
Reviewed August 10, 2010

My husband and I stayed at the Topaz for 3 nights during the last week of July. We had a very positive experience. The hotel is in a great location.....close to dupont circle, the national geographic museum and a 15-20 minute walk to the White House. The dupont metro stop was around the corner. The hotel itself is on a quiet street that was safe even late at night. The Tabard Inn is right next door and there was a great restaurant right across the street.
The staff of the hotel was phenomenal. They were always friendly and gave great recommendations. The sangria and wine reception from 5 to 6 PM was a welcomed treat. The hotel also had lemonade and ice tea with to go cups in the lobby.
The room had adequate space and was clean. I liked that there was a separate vanity area outside of the bathroom. The bed was comfortable and the linens were high quality. If I returned to the D.C. area I would stay here again.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Hattiesburg, Mississippi
Reviewed August 9, 2010

We stayed at Hotel Topaz for four nights the first week of August. We booked based on reviews and location on Trip Advisor. Being a seasoned traveler yet from the south, we however, had not heard of the Kimpton chain. We were very pleased with entire experience. Yes, the lobby was small, but the only time we used the lobby was to pass through either coming or going and never had a problem. When we arrived, rooms were not ready and they stored our luggage until we arrived back to the hotel later that night. Our room on a top floor was nice. No problems with the beds, sounds from outside or inside. Slept really well. The AC worked properly, did not keep it cold but comfortably cool. We were not in our room during the daytime hours, only at night and again no problems. Front desk was helpful with all of our questions and suggested several spots to eat that were great!! It is a short couple of blocks to Dupont Circle to catch subway. Our overall experience was a very positive one. From the decor, which was fine to the size of the room I can voice no complaints. In fact, our dressing area had a separate room that attached to the bathroom which kept all of our luggage out of the way and helped with getting dressed in the morning. The only complaint, if I had one, would be that it would have been nice to have maybe some fruit or danish for the guest in the morning with coffee. I would definately suggest this hotel to friends.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reviewed August 6, 2010

My husband and I were looking at Kimpton hotels in DC so we could spend the weekend and take our dog. Because the rooms were under $100, we went for Topaz. We were very happy with our stay.

The quiet street is still convenient to any number of things. We took long walks with our dog in the DuPont Neighborhood, Adams Morgan, Foggy Bottom/Georgetown, and even the memorials down on the national mall. We also got to sample some great restaurants that were all just a short walk from N St.

Our room was really nice. I was surprised by the size - we got a king sized bed with plenty of extra room.The room was in great shape. The hallways and elevators, as other reviews have noted, were worn, but the little lobby and bar were chic.

The staff was really nice and helpful. I'm not sure that anyone read the notes I put on my reservation though. I had asked for a crate which we didn't end up needing - our dog was to worn out from all of the great walks to be naughty.

I did feel bad for the people in the hotel who did not like dogs, or were afraid of them. The nice thing is that they have a 200 lb weight limit on pets, so you don't just see 'toy' breeds around the hotel. Our medium dog definitely startled a few people, I wonder how they handled the dogs twice as big. We did meet a lot of fellow dog lovers, which was fun.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Miami
Reviewed August 5, 2010

We stayed for almost a week at the end of May 2010, and we really liked it.

I have been visiting Washington dc over the last 12 years and this is one of the best values that you can get in the city.

The location is good, there is an Starbucks nearby, the rooms are clean and the bed is good, I will definitively return next year if the equation price/value remains intact

• Stayed August 2010
Pilesgrove, New Jersey
Reviewed July 28, 2010

They need to get a better exterminator. My husband and I stayed there as a birthday celebration for him on July 23 & 24. I must admit the photos on line make the lobby appear much nicer and larger than reality. The staff was very helpful...no complaints there. Thought for a small trendy hotel it was fine for a few nights stay until the LARGE mouse appeared in the room. When I informed the front desk of our intruder she did not seemed surprised and quickly offered to move us to another room. She did add " that sometimes happens in old buildings". Upon check out they did inform me they had taken $50 off the bill for our inconvenience. Would not stay again, but would be willing to try other Kimpton Hotels based on the reviews I have read.

Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
TopazHotelGM, General Manager at Kimpton Topaz Hotel, responded to this review, July 30, 2010
Dear JoyT_10

Thank you for taking a moment to share your feedback about your stay with us on Tripadvisor.com. We’re actually planning some really exciting renovations later this year, which will significantly enhance the arrival experience of the hotel. The lobby will always be cozier than most. But, we’re really excited about the new look. I was really happy to read that your interactions with our team were warm and genuine. And, as surprising as it is to hear that there’s a mouse in the hotel, we would never want to exacerbate the issue by reacting too emotionally. Our top priority in this case is to find a comfortable setting for you and then immediately address the problem. I would really love to discuss your stay and the solution that we’ve set in place in more detail. If you can carve out a moment to give me a call I can be reached at 202.521.7355 or at donte.johnson@topazhotel.com.