“So-So”

Kimpton Topaz Hotel
Ranked #81 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed July 19, 2005

This hotel is very well located--right up the block from Dupont Circle. The decor is "funky", as pictured in their website. The bar downstairs was PACKED on Saturday night. Unfortunately, the service was not great (really messed up my dry cleaning) and the carpet in my room was quite stained (maybe because they are dog friendly). That said, the room was spacious and clean. A good value for the price.
Eating: hotel offers a limited appetizers menu and $6 yogurt with granola for breakfast. Right up the street at Dupont Circle there is a Starbucks and several chain restaurants. I recommend the Luna Dinner near Starbucks.

• Stayed: July 2005, traveled on business
4  Thank Wesley_Elizabeth
Write a ReviewReviews (1,328)

Reviewed July 18, 2005

Just got back from a stay at the Topaz Hotel. The hotel is in a great location-Dupont Circle. Plenty of places to eat and drink in the area. The hotel was a great value for $139/night (weekend rate). The rooms were very spacious and the bed comfortable. My only complaint was that the rugs in the rooms were worn out. This is definitely something the hotel should think about replacing. Otherwise it was very clean and spacious.The front desk was very helpful with directions/suggestions of things to do. I would stay at the Topaz again. Also if you get the AAA book there is a coupon for free parking! Making a good deal even better.

4  Thank rg2000
Reviewed July 12, 2005

My girlfriend and I as about as picky as they come when it comes to hotels. That said we were very pleased with the hotel from the staff to the room we received, everything was what you would expect from a small boutique hotel. Of course small doesn't mean the size of your room, it was actually larger than some of the rooms of the larger hotels we have stayed in for half the price. We booked directly through the hotel website and got a better deal than the one offered by Expedia.

If your into the whole seen and be seen scene the Topaz has a very chic lounge for a late drink, without a level of pretentiousness that you might otherwise find in some of the other lounges around town.

Located on a quite residential street there is plenty of parking on the weekends. We highly recommended one of best stays we've had.

7  Thank flyguy25
Reviewed July 11, 2005

We had a wonderful stay at this small D.C. hotel. We took our two 15 year old daughters with us to see the many sights of Washington. Robes in room where great. I have used trip advisor in the past with great success. We only had one incident with the hotel staff which upset a otherwise perfect trip. I showed the AAA ad for free parking at check in. I was told to use it at checkout. Well you can guess the parking charge was on the final bill. I talked with the front desk and the lady took it off my visa. I went to my room to finish packing. The lady from the front desk called the room and stated I had never shown the ad to the person checking us in. As if I was lying. I had my husband talk with her as he had heard me ask about and show the ad at check in. Why would you call a guest and suggest they are lying? I would stay here again but you may want to get a witness to all transactions.

6  Thank VAQs
Reviewed July 3, 2005

Spent one night 7-2-05 at the Topaz. I made my selection of this hotel from reviews posted on trip advisor. If you are looking for a boutique type hotel the Topaz is outstanding. I spend at least 100 nights a year in hotels mostly in the big chains, Hyatt, Mairott, Wyndam etc. The king room #804 was a plesant change. Tastefully decorated..outstanding bed...down comforter...CD player in room...terry cloth bath robes...newspaper at door in am...and more. Loacted in a quite neighboorhood near Dupont Circle...short cab ride to most resturants. On site bar/lounge. The only negative due to location was parking. You can try to find a place on the street or pay $29 for valet per day. Despite this charge..(most hotels in D.C. charge a daily parking fee) the overall experience was positive.

I will stay at the Topaz again.

5  Thank 111vols111
Reviewed June 27, 2005

i stayed at the topaz for 2 nights in june with my parents. we were all very pleased with our trip. the location is great - the mall is just a short walk away but the hotel is tucked away on a peaceful little side street. there are lots of restaurants nearby as well. for the most part, every staff member we dealt with was wonderful - very welcoming and helpful with directions and recommendations. the rooms were huge - much bigger than i was expecting - and they were decorated really nicely - unique but not over the top. i would definitely return and suggest anybody stay here.

• Stayed: June 2005
2  Thank jgodic
Reviewed June 26, 2005

I am not sure if it was an off day for the hotel or me. The trip started badly with a flight delay, I arrived at the hotel where a new employee was being instructed on how to check me in. She has to recreate my entire reservation for some reason, which took about 10 minutes, I was already late, and neither seemed concerned with pleas regarding my missing an appointment. One of the two elevators was out of service; I waited 5 minutes for the operational elevator to arrive. I get to the door of my room, the key doesn't work. I call downstairs and request someone bring up a key, I waited 10 minutes, I finally went downstairs to the front desk and got it myself. The room decor is lovely. I was in room 803. I had some complaints regarding the upkeep of the room. The enamel paint on the bathtub was peeling, as the paint on the mirror above the sink. The outlet in the bathroom was not working, and the television was blurry. Other than the above complaints I loved the room. They had a teapot, which was electric and so speedy. They had a great selection of teas. The room was an L shape, with a nice desk area.

The only other problem was the noise. The hotel has thin walls; someone down the hall left early and the sound of their door slamming shut almost knocked me out of bed. Speaking of which, the beds are wonderful!

I Love the kimpton chair and opt for their hotels any day of the week, but $220 for a Sunday night stay was a bit much. I think next time I am heading for the Helix or the Monaco instead.

• Stayed: June 2005, traveled on business