“Nice change from the usual”

Kimpton Topaz Hotel
Ranked #80 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
Crockett, California
“Nice change from the usual”
Reviewed August 22, 2004

We stayed at the Topaz earlier this month (half business/half vacation) and thought it was great. So much more personality and color than your standard Marriott/Hilton/business hotel fare. Very clean. Service is excellent-- they really go out of their way to take care of you. High-Speed Internet access worked great. The darkly lit, modern bar downstairs is very hip and was packed most nights. Watch out for the $11 drinks though! Plenty of restaurants and nightclubs nearby or within a $5.50 cab ride. Definitely stop in at The Tabard Inn next door for dinner or drinks-- locals love this cozy British-style inn, esp. in winter when they can lounge on couches in front of the fireplace.

2 Thank BayAreaGal

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (215)
  • Korean first
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 18, 2004

My daughter chose this over the Rouge Hotel (tough choice) based on the decor as depicted by the website. She was not disappointed. She also liked the free energy juices in the lobby, although one employee was a bit abrupt with her and her 7 year old friend. Our room was great. Our friends didn't get a bath tub (make sure you ask!) Our rate was quite reasonable. Location good (Tabard Inn next door, equally good restaurant across the street, Starbucks 1/2 block away and Metro is a 5 minute walk.) Not very handicapped accessible. I was able to hang out in the lobby and interview 5 people in a row without anyone making me feel like i was overstaying my welcome. Wi-fi worked most of the time; move your computer around the room to find the best signal. Definitely a good value for a "hip" hotel.

5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed August 11, 2004

I read a few of the recent reviews, and thought that a couple were far too negative, so I thought I would write my own.
I stayed at the Topaz with my kids for three nights this month. We all found the hotel an excellent experience. The rooms were large and well appointed. My two daughters called the rooms "funky". I lean more towards the term "eclectic". Whatever you call them, they were fun to be in, and well kept... and we didn't see any silverfish... but I must admit that we weren't looking for them.
The room included an in-house bar, comfy bathrobes, and Aveda personal care products. My daughters particularly liked the mystical rocks that were placed on the beds when we first arrived. The rocks were in place of the usual chocolates that most hotels provide.
The only complaint I had was when we arrived there seemed to be some confusion about our reservation. We had booked a room with two queen beds, and the desk clerk was going to give us a room with a single king. I complained, and he responded by offering me a room with two queens that happened to be on the second floor - directly above the bar on the ground floor. I was worried that the room would be noisy but it was not. In fact, I slept like a log every night, which is unusual for me.
To top it off, shortly after entering the room, the clerk called me and said that if I wasn't happy with the room, I could switch to a new one the next day. I thought this was a nice gesture, but in the end, I remained in the room the entire stay.
If you're looking for a cost effective hotel in Washington, I "highly" recommend Topaz.

4 Thank Bruce P
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 9, 2004

We booked 2 Queen beds a month ahead. I called to confirm the room before we left and to also add on a night. I had to book the additional night separately. After many calls, I finally got through to a manager who could help me put the reservations together so we didn't have to change rooms the last night. That person cancelled the first 4 nights of our stay. When we arrived, we had no reservation. They put us in a King room, though there were 3 of us, since they had no Queen rooms left. We also asked not to be near the elevator, but they put us right next to it! We were on a non smoking floor, though there was obvious smoking as soon as you stepped off the elevator. On top of that, my credit card was billed for the last night as a "no show" a week later even though we had already settled the bill. The room was OK except for the silverfish we found in the bed.

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
San Francisco
Reviewed July 26, 2004

What a nice hotel. Loved all the boutique touches. We booked 2 rooms, the king room was very large, the room with two queens was a bit small, so there must be a lot of variations in the room configuration.

Gourmet Teas a nice touch. Comfortable beds. Friendly staff. Would stay here again.

2 Thank wesadeh
Cortlandt, New york
Reviewed July 12, 2004

Stayed for 2 nights this past weekend. Staff very friendly. Rooms are very nicely furnished. Powder room was a nice touch. Bathroom fan did not work and was not repaired during our stay.

Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed July 11, 2004

Stayed at the Topaz after reading several reviews and having good experiences at the Hotel George and Hotel Madera (other Kimpton hotels). I was originally scheduled to stay for 17 nights but left after the first 2 nights and moved to the Madera. I asked for an Energy Room (w/treadmill). The room was huge and the treadmill section had its own tv which was pretty cool. However, the carpet in the room looked like it had been trampled by circus animals and the paint/wallpaper was stripping from the walls. I think they try to cover it up with the ultra dim lighting. Service left much to be desired. Front desk staff stared at me for minutes while completing two personal calls. I received my wake-up call 30 minutes late. Complained to manager and they offered to switch my room the next night. Went back to look at the room selections and was again ignored by the front desk staff. A night manager came to my room three hours later at 10pm to apologize. Too little too late. Management sent me a gift certificate for one night's stay.

• Stayed July 2004, traveled on business