“A well-located Boutique Hotel near Dupont Circle”

Kimpton Topaz Hotel
Ranked #86 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed August 19, 2014

A very well-located and affordable Boutique Hotel, a few blocks from Dupont Circle, one of the most lively neighborhoods in DC. The bedroom was large and elegant, the bathroom functional and the bed very comfortable. Wifi was available free of charge. Breakfast was taken at nearby French bakery "Le Pain Quotidien".

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Equinoxe2013
rcimei, General Manager at Kimpton Topaz Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2014

Dear Equinoxe2013,

Thank you so much for your amazing review of your recent stay at the Topaz. I am really happy to read how much you enjoyed everything and how nice of a time you had.

We hope you will come see us again on your next visit to DC.

Ryan Cimei

Write a ReviewReviews (1,329)

Reviewed August 17, 2014

First Kimpton experience.

Older, boutique hotel one block from Dupont Circle. Perhaps, in my opinion, 2 years past it's prime. Booked via a last minute app for a Friday-Sunday stay. At check-in, I was reminded of my method of booking, as if I had not just filled one of their empty rooms. Our room, across the elevator, was as big as the bathroom was small. Great view from the 5th floor. Not sure how I feel about the shampoo/body wash dispenser in the shower. Through several interactions with the front desk over our stay, I just feel as if the staff was unable to help with my questions/requests.

Room Tip: Ask to be away from the elevator as the narrow hallways of this older building gives you little nois...
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jorge V

Dear Jorge V,

Thank you for your feedback from your recent stay. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay overall but I do apologize that the team was not able to assist you more with your requests or questions.

We hope you will come and give us another chance on your next visit to DC.

Reviewed August 17, 2014

Our group of six had a fabulous experience at the Topaz. We often stay at Kimpton Hotels because of the ambiance, service, and small luxuries like the complimentary wine in the early evening, and the animal print bathrobes! HIghlights of this particular Kimpton were its excellent location off the busy main thoroughfares (a leafy, neighborhood feel to the street), and the genuinely helpful and friendly service of everyone from the front desk to the housekeeping staff. Little touches like citrus-flavored water and fresh fruit in lobby at the end of a hot, humid day of sight-seeing are nice touches, as well!

Room Tip: Rooms at the back of the hotel and higher up tend to be quieter.
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled with friends

Dear Sarah N,

Thank you for your great review of your stay at the Topaz! I am so happy that you enjoyed your visit so much and found the location so comfortable and quiet. I am also happy to hear that you enjoyed the little touches that we like to do to make things fun and feel more like home.

We hope you will come and see us again soon!

Reviewed August 16, 2014

Excellent location - short walking distance to the metro, a block from coffee shops, and when the weather is good, you can walk to a lot of the attractions.
Located off of Dupont Circle, you would miss the hotel if it wasn't for the entryway.
The lobby is small - serving desk functions and the daily wine social Kimpton hotels are famous for.
The room however was very spacious, and decorated in typical Kimpton style (each room in every hotel is a pleasant surprise). Clean, modern, excellent Wifi coverage, and all the amenities you would expect.
Outstanding, friendly service starts before you enter the hotel, and extends throughout the stay.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled with family

Dear Noam Z,

Thank you for your great review of your stay at the Topaz! I am so happy to hear that you had such a good time and found your accommodations to be so comfortable. I am also really excited to read how much you enjoyed the level of service you received from the team.

We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed August 16, 2014 via mobile

Found the Topaz through an online service, as I was in DC for a quick business trip. The Kimpton line is a favorite & Topaz did not disappoint. Expecting a small room, I was surprised by a large space, lovely amenities, and, overall, the gracious Kimpton hospitality. The location is a short walk from numerous interesting neighborhoods, dining choices, etc.

Contrary to the reviewer who complained about dogs, I did not spot or detect any in 2 days. As to parking, in DC, as in many major cities, hotel rates are typically over $40 per night. An alternative is to use a public lot, which average $30 for overnight rates.

Stayed: August 2014, traveled on business

Dear Springtraveler06,

Thank you so much for your great review of your recent stay! I am really happy to hear how much you enjoyed your visit and how comfortable you found your guest room.

I am glad that you were not inconvenienced by any dogs and were able to find a suitable parking option as well and thank you for your understanding on the pricing structure.

We hope you will come and visit us again!

Reviewed August 15, 2014

This is a long overdue review. My family and I stayed here last May and were treated so nicely by the staff. They gave us rooms across from each other and made sure that it was located at the least noisy spot. The rooms are large with a nice layout and even had a powder room. I loved the complimentary wine and location. It is walking distance from restaurants, shops, and the metro. The lobby is a little small and so were the elevators but the staff and hotel itself made up for it. Looking forward to staying at Topaz again and at other Kimpton hotels.

Room Tip: Corner room is large. Had double beds and a a daybed.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family

Dear samantha l,

Thank you for your amazing review of your stay at the Topaz! I am so happy to read how well the team took care of you and how much you enjoyed your time with us. I am happy that the entire family had so much fun.

We hope you will come see us again on your next visit to DC.

Reviewed August 12, 2014

I enjoyed my stay at the Topaz and would recommend the hotel, but they could improve on a few things. We arrived shortly before noon and were told that our room would be ready at 1:30. It wasn't ready until after 5:30! A major inconvenience for us. The decorating in general is tired and worn and somewhat dated. The decorating in our room consisted of bold clashing colors between the drapes, carpet and wallpaper and wasn't conducive to relaxing. The staff was friendly, but seemed weary and a little harried.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled on business

Dear plasalle,

Thank you for your review of your recent stay. I am so sorry about the inconvenience of not having your room ready until so late. That is totally annoying and I am really sorry that you had to wait for that. Normal check in time is 3PM and your room should have been ready no later than that.

I appreciate your comments also on the property and the staff as well. We are planning some refresh work on the hotel itself this winter, but the staff issues we can address immediatley.

Thanks again for taking the time! Hope to see you again soon.

Cheers,