“Tired and average” 3 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersSilver level
Charlotte, NC
“Tired and average”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2014

We stayed for 3 nights in early August and would not stay at Topaz again.

PROs: We had reserved a King room, but got a room with 2 Queen beds instead. It was a very large room with a very good layout. The air conditioner worked well. The price was reasonable (booked through Priceline). The location was convenient to the Metro and other places we wanted to walk around Dupont Circle and further. The room had blackout curtains so we could sleep in. We also liked the eucalyptus smell of the body wash in the shower.

CONs: This hotel is in need of a renovation. The carpeting, tile, furnishings, and wall paint are very dated and in shabby condition. It is definitely a 3 star hotel, trending downward. We chose this hotel based upon the cost and a friend's recommendation. Although the price appeared to be reasonable, it wasn't when you add $45/night for parking. There is no option for self-parking and sometimes our car was underneath the hotel; other times it was kept somewhere off-site. We would've preferred a hotel where we could self park. Apparently dogs are welcome at Kimpton hotels and everyone seemed to have a dog with them this weekend. We are dog lovers and have 2 of our own (who stayed at home), but think it's gross to stay in a hotel with so much pet traffic. The only thing worse than the foul smell that greeted us each day in the lobby was getting onto the elevator after a Great Pyrenees had just vacated it. The water pressure in our shower was not great. The furniture in the room had lots of knicks and scratches. The beds, though comfortable, creaked every time we turned over.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
      Rooms
1 Thank craterlake
rcimei, General Manager at Kimpton Topaz Hotel, responded to this review, August 13, 2014
Dear craterlake,

Thank you for your feedback from your recent stay with us. I do apologize that you did not enjoy all aspects of your stay with us. I appreciate you taking the time to provide this feedback and we will certainly see what we can do to enhance our guest experience and the hotel itself going forward.

Ryan Cimei

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (209)
  • Korean first
Plainfield
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2014

I absolutely loved this place. It was very convenient to the metro (a few blocks, if that), there are plenty of places to eat near by, and the staff was outstanding. Every person we encountered was polite and accommodating. The toilet clogged in our room at an early hour and when we called the front desk, they were apologetic and helpful. Maintenance was at our door in less then 5 minutes. I would absolutely stay here when I come back to DC next year.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
Dear RizeNshine,

Thank you so much for your amazing review from your stay at the Topaz! I am so happy to read how much you enjoyed your time with us and how quickly the team responded to the issue in your room.

We hope to have you back with us on your next trip to DC!

Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2014

I stayed at this Kimpton location after a LONG week working in DC. I was sleep deprived, tired, cranky and in need of serious R&R. All I wanted was a bed and some quite time. When I arrived at the hotel, I was greeted by the nicest receptionist I had ever met...she apologized that no rooms were yet available for early check in- then checked for places for me to eat and get a mani pedi as well as printed out some yelp reviews for me. I was able to check my bag, to do some exploring before heading back to what was another "nicest" person ever. :) It was the hotel day manager and another super awesome staff. Seriously, they remembered my name, gave me a bus pass for what was a weekend special....and made me laugh and smile for the first time in almost a week. The room its self was a bit older but definitely clean and in good condition. The price was right but what I was amazed with was the 5 star service for 3 star rates. I love love love this hotel and happy to go back any time. (Oh. we had a fire alarm pulled at 2am and even with that...the staff was kind, apologetic even though it was not their fault, there was a LOUD fraternity party....and all I saw from the staff was super service which never skipped a beat.) Everyone working while I was there deserves a raise and a weekend of pampering. Please do stay here if you are up for some great people and pampering in a great location.

Room Tip: I am a Kimpton member so I had free wifi. Free to join.
Green Features: not sure about this- didn't pay much attention
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
Dear travelerlynn,

Wow! What can I say.... What an awesome review from your recent stay. Thank you so much for taking the time to share how much fun you had and how well the staff took care of you. I am so happy to see how well the team took care of you and how much you enjoyed your time with us and your interactions with the team.

We can't wait to have you back with us again!!

Miami, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2014 via mobile

PRO:
Front staff were nice
CON:
Rating & reviews very misleading. NOT a 4 star hotel.
Building old, looks dated.
Tiny lobby with old dirty bar/club look
1 chair in the lobby.
Elevator was tiny & scuffed up & smelled like sweat.
Room was 2' across from elevator, so could hear people talking & ding.
Decor in the room was very gaudy.
Bed: Loudly squeaks when you sit on it or move.
Comforter was an old brown polyester blanket covered in a white sheet. Looked like dog blanket.
Bathroom was tiny, but clean.
The air vents were very dusty.
Service: Took 20+ minutes & 3 calls to get an extra brown dog blanket for the bed.
Door got stuck when we left and wouldn't shut.
Overall: felt like an old building that needed a gut rehab covered in bling. Blankets were "Best Western" quality.
Clean the air vents & when guests check in at 11pm, they don't want to go through multiple phone calls & conversations to get a blanket. That being said, the front staff were nice, even if they were disorganized.

• Stayed August 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Rooms
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank kj m
Dear kj m,

Thank you for your feedback from your recent stay with us. Based on your comments we really missed the boat on a lot of aspects of your experience with us. Thank you for taking the time to provide this feedback, these are all items that we can work on and will be addressed individually with the team.

Ellicott City, Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2014

We went here for a romantic weekend and really enjoyed our stay. The location is perfect for restaurants in Dupont Circle or near to Logan Circle. It's also near enough to the metro that everything's accessible. No complaints.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear womprat,

Thank you for your great review of your stay at the Topaz. I am really glad that you chose to stay with us for your special weekend and happy that you had such a nice time.

We hope you will come see us again!

Chicago
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2014

this is a fairly small hotel in a great location near downtown and dupont circle. the rooms are generous & work well. the staff is friendly and helpful. it's just about everything you could want in this area, and it comes at a competitive price. there are the usual kimpton new age touches, such as the in-room yoga mat, which i'm not into myself but are not intrusive. it is well worth considering if you want to stay in this part of dc.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Dear sampchicago,

Thank you so much for your great review of your stay at the Topaz! I am so happy to read how much you enjoyed your time with us and the "little touches" in your guest room.

We hope you will come see us again on your next visit to DC.

Dubai
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here just for the one night but had an absolutely brilliant experience.

We'd just landed in from a 14 hour flight and had requested an early check in. Unfortunately this wasn't possible, and I think that's my only criticism, but if they were full then the early check in is a bonus and not a given.

The staff were all absolutely brilliant and treated us so well. It was out anniversary the day we arrived and the team had upgraded us and gave us strawberries and bubbles!

The room was huge and the hotel is on a quiet street, so no noise from traffic. But it was also a few minutes walk to DuPont circle.

The hotel were able to order both local taxis or bigger private drivers. As you're not on a main road taxis didn't typically just pass by.

I can't stressed how friendly and helpful the staff were and they really pushed to go that little bit extra and are a real asset to the hotel

Stayed April 2014
1 Thank bigkisses
Dear bigkisses,

Thank you so much for your amazing revie of your stay at the Topaz! I am so happy to read how well the team took care of you and that they acknowledged your special day so well. I am also happy to see how much you enjoyed your guest room and the location of the hotel.

We hope you will give us the chance to do it all over again next anniversary!