“Very Good Boutique Hotel”

Kimpton Topaz Hotel
Ranked #80 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
Austin, Texas
“Very Good Boutique Hotel”
Reviewed April 22, 2014

We enjoy Kimpton properties and chose the Topaz for its proximity to DuPont Circle and subway. Our room was exactly as anticipated, roomy, comfortable king bed and quite. Although we had housekeeping hiccup our first evening, they immediately corrected the situation. Hotel staff are very accommodating.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
rcimei, General Manager at Kimpton Topaz Hotel, responded to this review, April 29, 2014
Dear Michael K,

Thank you for your great review of your stay at the Topaz. I am so happy to hear how much you enjoyed your stay and found the staff to be so accommodating.

We hope to see you again soon.

Ryan Cimei

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (215)
  • Korean first
Canandaigua
Reviewed April 21, 2014

Our family recently stayed at The Topaz while moving our son into the area. I chose the hotel on the basis of price, location, and good reviews. It was much cheaper than the other nearby possibilities.
We felt the hotel was not only well worth the price, but it exceeded our expectations in terms of sleep quality, friendliness of staff, and comfort of the surroundings. The bed linens and pillow were high quality and the mattress comfortable. Bathroom was extremely clean. The staff were friendly, attentive and efficient. Small problems were quickly fixed-room key not working, minibar key broke. Every staff member was friendly and polite.
The small downsides were that the breakfast area is small and better for cocktails than eating breakfast, as the tables are small. The carpet in the common areas is old and the elevator slow. We parked on street rather than pay the $40, as we were there on a weekend and there was easy parking. I have to say, I worried our windows would be broken but nothing was disturbed.
The area is an easy and safe-feeling walk from the White House. There are many restaurants and lots of foot traffic nearby. We will absolutely be staying there again.

Room Tip: Rooms on the back are very quiet
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank SnowyandSniggles
Dear SnowyandSniggles,

Thank you so much for your amazing review of your stay at the Topaz. I am really happy to see how much you enjoyed the staff and how comfortable you found your guest room.

We hope you will come and stay with us when you come and visit your son, now that it looks like he is living in the area.

Thanks again,
Pittsboro N.C.
Reviewed April 21, 2014

The location is terrific in Dupont Circle neighborhood which is just outside of downtown but still close enough to walk almost anywhere. Good choices for eating in area. The staff is very helpful,pleasant and professional. The lobby is quite small with a small bar/service area where there is a free wine happy hour. The rooms are very clean, a nice size with a decent decor but nothing fancy. The value is good for Wash D.C. and the surrounding area. Remember this is a pet friendly hotel.

Dear plcape,

Thank you for your great review of your stay at the Topaz. I am really happy to see that you enjoyed your stay with us and found the location to be so convenient.

We hope you will come see us again on your next trip to Washington, DC.

Illinois
Reviewed April 21, 2014

This is a boutique style hotel located within a block of DuPont Circle...great location on a quiet shaded street near restaurants, pubs and a 20 minute fast paced walk to the White House/Mall area...the front desk staff was friendly and very welcoming, the room was spacious and clean...large bathroom with plenty of lavatory space to place your personal hygiene items...we needed a roll-a-way for our adult son and it was comfortable and sizeable...we did not eat in the attached restaurant but the morning continental breakfast looked yummy although not inexpensive...the 5 pm 'Wine Hour' is a nice complimentary touch and the bartender, Rick, is an engaging personable gentleman who made us feel right at home...and the hotel is generous with the wine 'pour' during the complimentary hour it's available...this is a pet friendly hotel which is fine however the pets are allowed in the lounge which is the location for the breakfast...I don't think that's a good idea...one woman had her dog on a short leash and it was allowed to roam for a few feet away from her table...I'm not 'snooty' but I like the ambience in the lounge rather than having a dog sniffing around...but other than that 'constructive' criticism I would give this hotel an 'A' grade, and look forward to returning again in the near future!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Davidfromllinois
Dear Davidfromllinois,

I can't thank you enough for such an outstanding review of your recent stay at the Topaz. I am happy to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and were able to participate in our wine hour. Thank you also for your feedback on the pets in the lounge area. I agree with you, it would take away from the experience to have a pet in this area and thank you for letting me know.

Again, I very much appreciate your review and your "A" grade. We hope you will come see us again!

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed April 21, 2014

We recently stayed at the Topaz for 3 nights. What a sweet little find this property was! First, it's in a great location, just 2 blocks from Dupont Circle. Yet the street it's on is remarkably quiet at night. The room we had was large and well appointed. Their InTouch program (highly recommended) gave us free wifi and a $10 coupon to use during our stay. The complimentary extras included morning coffee and an evening wine hour. My husband doesn't drink alcohol and when we stopped down they comped him with a non-alcoholic alternative. How nice was that? Their bar/restaurant offers a small menu. On our final night we decided to try it and our food was excellent. All around this property is a class act. We will definitely stay here again the next time we visit DC.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear us_travel_addict,

Thank you for such an amazing review of your recent stay at the Topaz. I am so happy that you enjoyed your stay so much and were able to enjoy the Topaz bar as well. I am really happy that you had such a nice time.

We hope that we will see you again soon!

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed April 16, 2014

The hotel is situated in a quiet street.

Check in was quick. Since we arrived late after the wine and cheese session finished, we were given two drink vouchers.

We loved our room, very spacious with big bed, the view was the street. Staffs were really friendly. Breakfast was good too.

Since we are kimpton in touch member, we received free wifi and $10 minibar credit.

We would love to go back. Washington DC is a great place to visit, love the food trucks on the square.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MiaMew
Dear MiaMew,

Thank you for your great review of your stay at the Topaz. I am really happy that you enjoyed your experience so much, including the Topaz Bar offerings and the perks of being a Kimpton in Touch member.

We hope that you will come and see us again!

Nitro, West Virginia
Reviewed April 12, 2014

I absolutely adored our stay at the Topaz! We were warmly greeted by the front desk clerk and made to feel like we were home. We had an issue with the key cards working, but a quick trip back down to the desk fixed that. The gentleman at the front desk apologized profusely and quickly reprogrammed the keys. Our room was beautiful, and was much larger than what I expected. I know that staying right in the center of town would be expensive, but the room greatly exceeded my expectations compared to the price. We had a King Deluxe room. We were greeted with a plate of sweets and some sparkling wine. I highly recommend this room for anyone who needs a lot of space or who is staying for an extended stay. All of the amenities were wonderful, and we (me and my now wife) fell completely in love with the bed. After a long day of walking around the city, we would come back to our room and just fall on the bed and sink down into wonderfulness.
The hotel is located very near to Dupont Circle. The Metro station is literally 1-2 blocks away. A Starbucks sits at the end of the street near the hotel, and there are many great restaurants and even a CVS within minutes of walking distance. It is in a perfect location to go anywhere you need.
We stayed a total of 3 nights. The desk clerk during the weekend mornings was so great (I think her name was Jessica or Jennifer.. I'm horrible with names.) She was very helpful with teaching us how to use the Metro and also calling us a cab and taking our picture on our wedding morning. i really can't think of anything bad to say about anyone or anything at this hotel. We are planning a whole family trip next spring/summer, and I guarantee that, if we stay in the city, we will be staying here again!

1 Thank Tarayn S
rcimei, General Manager at Kimpton Topaz Hotel, responded to this review, April 15, 2014
Dear Tarayn S,

Wow! Thank you so much for such an amazing review of your stay at the Topaz. I am so happy to read how much you enjoyed everything and how the staff went the extra mile to make sure you had a special stay with us.

I am also really happy to see how much you enjoyed your guest room and how well the location worked out for you. I will certainly thank Paula (a.k.a Jennifer/Jessica) for being so courteous and helpful for you. I am sure she will not even think twice about the name mixup, she's entirely too sweet to be bothered by something like that.

We certainly hope you come back and see us again! Thank you again for your wonderful review.