“Great weekend stay”

Kimpton Topaz Hotel
Ranked #90 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed September 6, 2013 via mobile

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Topaz for my birthday weekend. It is a great location near DuPont Circle and the staff are very accommodating. Great in and out privileges for their parking garage. We love Kimpton's hotels and can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank jkd722
rcimei, General Manager at Kimpton Topaz Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 16, 2013

Dear jkd722,

Thank you for your oustanding review of the Topaz! I am happy to hear that you had such a great time and the Dupont Circle location worked out so well for you.

We look forward to having you back with us.

Ryan Cimei

Write a ReviewReviews (1,338)

Reviewed September 4, 2013

The hotel has been recently refurbished and, accordingly to Kimpton style, has a distinctive decor. This has a sort of Middle-Eastern flavour, which can be perceived in the hall and in the bar. They also serve (as usual) wine at five and have the same array of amenities of every Kimpton hotel. I suppose, however, that this is a bit more basic than other properties in Washington, but we enjoyed of a special offer. Besides, our room was quite spacious and clean. Among the staff, I wish to mention Mr. Rick, who served at the bar, and another Caucasian man, whose name I don't remember, who welcomed us with a cup of wine after a tiring day. But, in general, everyone was kind and contributed to an unforgettable staying.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TongBo

Dear TongBo,

Thank you for such an outstanding review of your stay at the Topaz. I am really happy to hear that you enjoyed everything so much. I will certainly pass on my thanks to Rick and Sam for taking such good care of you. I am really happy to hear that you were able to enjoy the wine hour as well.

We look forward to having you come see us again soon.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

The front desk staff was very friendly and courteous....always! My sister and I had a large room with 2 queen beds, a desk area and a very nice vanity space outside the bathroom. After a long day of walking and blisters(front desk actually had bandaids!) how refreshing to have watermelon sangria for cocktail hour! Love the animal print robes...we laughed our selves silly in them! Location was so pleasant...on a pretty quiet street, not far from Dupont Circle. I would definitely recommend this charming oasis in the city....and the service from the smiling, very helpful staff makes the guests feel "right at home." Can't wait to come back next year!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank joycejac

Dear joycejac,

Thank you so much for such an amazing review! I really couldn't be happier that you had such a great experience. You hit a lot of the fun stuff too, the robes and sangria, that is awesome!

We can't wait to have you come back and see us again.

Reviewed September 2, 2013

This lovely little boutique hotel gets 4 stars for the actual property, but 5+ stars for the service. We stayed here in August and from the moment we arrived, we had first class service that was friendly, warm, informative, and extremely helpful. Malcolm was awesome in answering all our questions and addressing our parking concerns.

The room we had was massive, with funky Kimpton decor, an office "nook" and a completely separate "dressing room" complete with make-up table, stool and full length mirror! One can tell that this was an old apartment building that was reincarnated into a boutique hotel, which is part of it's charm. We did have some peeling paint in our bathroom ceiling and the bed was oddly creaky. It made noise every time I rolled over, and I am not even heavy. I have addressed this with management, so they will probably correct the 2 minor issues.

We didn't get to sample the food at the restaurant/bar, but my husband love the fact that they have delicious fruit infused cold water at their guests' disposal when they return from their day out. We also love that nice Kimpton touches like fast free-wifi (a dealbreaker w/me if hotels do not have this) and $10 mini-bar raid for our stay. That came in handy when we needed water in a pinch!

Where I was completely impressed with was the fact that the manager, Ryan, FedEx'd my laptop charger back to me after I realized I left it in the room when I returned home. Through email, he communicated with me to let me know that it was on its way. Now THAT'S customer service! If I could give customer service 10 stars I would. LOVE this hotel. I would stay here again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SUSAN L

Dear NYCityZen,

Wow! I really cannot thank you enough for such a wonderful review of your stay at the Topaz. What a wonderful review to read on a Monday. I will certainly pass on your amazing kind words to the team and Malcolm, who look like they really made for a special. We have already addressed the squeaky bed issue throughout the property and the paint issue in your room.

It looks like you had a really well rounded Kimpton In Touch experience, hitting the fruit water, the free wifi and the mini bar credit. Thank you for being a member!

We look forward to having you with us again and taking great care of you all over on your next trip.

Reviewed August 24, 2013 via mobile

Listed as a 3 star Kimpton hotel, I was hesitant about staying here since we usually stay in the 4 star ones. We turned into a small street and had to wait for valet, instead of the other way around. Understaffed?

The front desk staff was amazing, as I have expected from Kimpton. Friendly and warm. This property is old but clean and well kept. I loved our room! But that's until we sat on the bed. It made the worse creaking sound ever. The thing must be like 30 years old, at least if sounded like it. Didn't sleep as well because of that. You can hear a little of the elevator and doors closing from our room. Despite all that, it is the best looking 3 star I've ever stayed at. Actually it's better than some so called 4 stars.

• Stayed: August 2013
rcimei, General Manager at Kimpton Topaz Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2013

Dear Gifu,

Thank you for your review of your stay at the Topaz. I am happy to hear that you were pleasantly surprised for a 3 star Kimpton.

I apologize for the bed issue, I can understand where you would think they are old, but its the exact opposite, they are brand new and its a manufacturer defect and are being replaced. I also apologize for the lack of the valet being present, we always have a valet attendant staffed, he must have been pulled away at the time of your arrival.

Nevertheless, I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your time overall and we look forward to potentially having you with us again at the Topaz.

Reviewed August 23, 2013

From the moment you step into a Kimpton Hotel, you know it's going to be special. The Topaz is no exception: upon checking in much later than I had expected, I found that I had been upgraded to a suite for the weekend!

Tired and hungry, I went to my room, dropped my bags and went back downstairs for a snack and a drink. I highly recommend the Pear of Saints, and the tapas are excellent. My room was beautifully appointed and very comfortable, with large windows that provided sunlight light during the day and surprisingly little noise at night. I was torn--stay in and enjoy the amazing room or get out and enjoy the city. Of course, the city won out--the Topaz is located close to the Metro and many restaurants, so it's a very convenient place to stay it you plan on visiting a variety of sights.

Definitely on my must-stay list in DC>

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Christaann

Dear Christaann,

Thank you for such an amazing review of your stay with us at Topaz. I am so delighted that you enjoyed your stay so much and the room worked out so well for you.

I am also super happy to hear that you had such a great experience in the Topaz Bar. That is encouraging that you had a great time and had the all around Topaz experience.

We look forward to having you back with us on your next trip to DC.

Reviewed August 16, 2013

Hotel very well located, close to underground & to restaurants around Dupont Circle.
Lobby is not very impressive but room (for 4) was great and calm.
The room decoration may not fit to everybody but we enjoyed the stay.
Breakfast possible at Starbucks 2 minutes walking distance.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Dear Fuchsm,

Thank you for your review. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your room and found the location to work out so well for you.

We hope you will come see us again in the future.