“Great price great location”

Kimpton Topaz Hotel
Ranked #79 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed August 6, 2013

The Topaz is in a great location right off of Dupont circle. The staff is very professional and goes out of their way to be helpful. Are there nicer hotels in Washington? Yes- but for the price you are getting a very hip hotel that doesn't take a big bite out of your wallet.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
rcimei, General Manager at Kimpton Topaz Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2013

Dear jojoruss,

Thank you for your great review of the Topaz. I am happy to hear that you had such a nice time and found us to be such a great value.

We look forward to having you back with us.

Reviewed August 5, 2013

I have stayed here quite a few times and it is a nice hotel. The rooms are very spacious and comfortable. The staff is helpful and courteous, and the daily wine hour from 5-6 p.m. is a nice touch. There are lots of good restaurants near by and the metro is close as well.

Room Tip: the elevator is slow, so I recommend the 3rd thru 5th floors (2nd floor can be too noisy).
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank DWLM

Dear Dave W,

Thank you for such an amazing review and thank you for your loyalty to the Topaz! I am so happy to hear that the location works for you and you enjoy the hotel and the staff so much.

We can't wait to have you back with us!

Reviewed August 5, 2013

This hotel is stylish and attractive and in a good location. It is in a residential/tree-lined neighborhood. It is not on a "happening" street, but you can walk to the subway (about 10 minute walk) and several good restaurants are within walking distance, including one in the hotel next door. The bar was open every night and the staff were all very friendly, especially the bartender. The bathroom is small but nicely decorated. The changing room with vanity was GREAT, especially for a woman with makeup and hair preparations. Our only complaint was that the shower was weak. This was not a huge deal for me but my husband complained about it daily.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank donnabaru

Dear donnabaru,

Thank you for such a nice review of your stay at the Topaz! I am so happy to hear how much you enjoyed your stay and how well the location worked out for you. It is great to hear had such a nice experience in the bar as well and how much you enjoyed the changing area of the guest room.

We look foward to hopefully seeing you again soon!

Reviewed July 29, 2013

To be honest, my first impressions of the hotel were not so good. After a cab ride from the airport that seemed to have lasted an eternity in DC's horrible traffic, I arrived at the rather modest entrance of Topaz located on an inner street slightly north, it seems, of the chain hotels. Check-in was extremely fast and I was I was quite shocked to have encountered the narrow and cramped hallways. However, the room, to my relief was nowhere near being cramped. Our room, that consisted of 2 queen beds was very generously sized, but the room-to-bathroom proportion was just off. The bathroom was very well furnished, but tiny.
Staff were always happy to assist and were very friendly. Breakfast could have some better seating and more variety, but it was good enough.
Overall, a comfortable 3 night stay. I would recommend this hotel but probably try something else before returning.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank vikaskini
rcimei, General Manager at Kimpton Topaz Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2013

Dear vikaskini,

Thank you for your review of your stay at the Topaz. I am really happy to hear that your first impression was improved as your stay progressed. I tend to agree with you that the room layout is not necessarily proportioned correctly in regards to the size of the bedroom and living area vs the bathroom.

I am happy to hear that you did find your room comfortable and the staff to be kind and serviceable. I appreciate your comments in regards to the breakfast seating as well.

We do hope you choose the Topaz for your next visit, however if not, we hope you will try one of our sister Kimpton properties in DC.

Reviewed July 22, 2013

I completed a weekend stay at the Topaz on a leisure trip. For visiting DC, the hotel has a fantastic location on a quiet, residential street off of Dupont Circle. The Topaz is a quick ~5 min walk to the Metro/Dupont Circle - Red Line and only a mile from The White House. Moreover, the hotel has large rooms that comfortably fit my entire family at a great rate for a summer weekend.

However, the strengths of the Topaz are limited by the inconsistent service that ranged from good, warm interactions with the morning front desk; friendly but condescending from the evening front desk; to brash and curt from the evening valet. It's disappointing when a request to retrieve an item from a valet park car was met quite rudely and aggressively. Unfortunately, that incident was the worst service I've had in a hotel in at least a year and left a sour impression of the stay.

If I were to return to DC in the near future, I'd probably look at another Kimpton hotel first before returning to the Topaz.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
rcimei, General Manager at Kimpton Topaz Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 29, 2013

Good afternoon Keane N,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your review. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed the location and guest rooms that we have to offer. I wish I could say the same after reading the comments about the level of service that you received.

I am so sorry that the team reacted in such a poor way to such a simple request and overall did not treat you with more care the entire time you were here. We pride ourselves on being a service first hotel and we just did not deliver in this case. I am really sorry about that.

I hope you continue to use Kimpton hotels and we would love another shot on your next trip as we know we can do better.

Reviewed July 22, 2013

The Topaz is extremely well-placed, off Connecticut Ave. (close to my old company's offices) and close to a lot of nice little restaurants, gelaterias, etc. Lovely quiet and leafy neighborhood, undergrounds and public transportation at hand; what more can you ask for ?
Yet the comfy and large rooms with excellent beddings, lush decoration and stylish and friendly staff add a plus touch which makes the stay so much the better
I'll definitely book the Topaz next time when in DC

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank GwenFirenze

Dear GwenFirenze,

Thank you for your wonderful review of the Topaz. I am happy to hear that you enjoy the property so much and the location is so convenient for your needs. We really are lucky to be between so many great attractions and things to do/places to eat.

We hope your travels to DC find you staying with us at the Topaz, we would love to have you back.

Reviewed July 20, 2013

Got a great rate on the Kimpton website of 15% off and free breakfast. The free breakfast was the usual continental offering - especially liked the fresh fruit and the 'baggies' where you could take a bag of trail mix as a snack for the day, nice touch. Also, if you join the Kimpton loyalty programme you can take advantage of free wifi and a credit on the minibar.

Rooms were very comfortable and quite spacious and had been nicely refurbished, corridors were a bit on the shabby side and not air conditioned, along with the lifts, which was a shame.

Bar area very comfortable and good service along with nice and reasonably priced bar snacks. The bartender made great cocktails.

Only a 5 minute walk to the Dupont Circle area with an abundance of shops and restaurants and most importantly felt safe walking around at night. The Starbucks on the corner of the street was very convenient for a coffee stop and to stock up on water to avoid the minibar prices.

Unfortunately, taking in all the sights Washington has to offer we missed the complimentary wine hours! Not sure about the noise complaints from other reviews, we did not have an issue with this and slept really well.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Tracy_Greg
rcimei, General Manager at Kimpton Topaz Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2013

Dear Tracy_Greg,

Thank you for posting such a great review of your stay at the Topaz. I am really happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay so much and the location worked out so well for you.

Glad you took advantage of the Kimpton in Touch loyalty program and the continental breakfast as well. Too bad you missed the wine hour though! Next time you will have to check it out.

We hope to see you again soon.