“Great stay at the Topaz”

Kimpton Topaz Hotel
Ranked #83 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
Toronto, Canada
“Great stay at the Topaz”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2013

My wife and I spent two nights at the Topaz in the middle of April and really enjoyed the experience. From the warm and friendly greeting by the doorman to the check in staff, and Rick the Barman during cocktail and canapes hour, we felt welcomed and very much at home. We like the low key, down to earth, but always friendly and helpful manner of all the staff. Any time we left or returned to or from the hotel, we always received a warm greeting. A very good team.

Room Tip: We chose a corner room overlooking the street.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
rcimei, General Manager at Kimpton Topaz Hotel, responded to this review, May 16, 2013
Dear ColinGToronto_Canada,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post such an outstanding review of your stay at the Topaz. I am really delighted to hear how much you enjoyed your experience and how well the desk team and Rick took care of you.

We can't wait to see you again so we can do it all over.

Ryan Cimei

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (211)
  • Korean first
Philadelphia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2013

We stayed at Topaz for a couple of nights while visiting DC. The hotel is a couple of blocks from DuPont Circle so it is in a very nice and trendy part of DC.

Our room was very nice and overlooked N Street. The views of the brownstones was nice. The windows were big and across the entire room which allowed plenty of light into the room and really made it feel open and airy. The bed was comfortable and bathroom was nice. There isn't much room for toiletries by the sink since the countertop is small due to the modern sink.

The staff at the front desk was very friendly and welcoming. Definitely liked the Happy Hour they offer from 5 - 6pm in the Bar area which includes complimentary red and white wine and beer. They also have a some basic apps included. All in all a very nice touch. We purchased some additional apps and the food was very good. We also ate breakfast there (Continental) during our stay as we had free breakfast included with our stay. The choices were more than sufficient (bagels, pastries, breads, yogurts, granola, cereal, etc). A very nice way to start the day off. They even had complimentary bags to make your own trailmix to take out with you as a snack.

Another nice perk is that you can use their bikes to bike ride through the city. It is complimentary (loaned) and is great especially compared to how expensive it is to rent bikes through the bikeshare program or the inconvenience of having to bring your own bikes. Definitely worth taking advantage of this nice little perk.

They offer valet parking ($50/night) which is rather expensive. There is a much more affordable parking garage operated by PMI on M street between 17th and 18th that is only $22/night. It's a very short walk and will save you $28/night that you can put to better use, like food and booze!

All in all we thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Topaz and would stay there again given the opportunity.

1 Thank ThePhillyCritic
rcimei, General Manager at Kimpton Topaz Hotel, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
Dear ThePhillyCritic,

Thank you for the outstanding review of your stay here at the Topaz. Looks like you really engrossed yourself in the Kimpton experience while you were with us. You are able to enjoy our breakfast, wine hour and bike program! That is awesome to see that you not only used them, but enjoyed them as well.

I am also happy to hear that you enjoyed the location and the size of the and bed. We look forward to having you stay with us again on your next trip to DC.

San Francisco, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

Service is terrible. Was expecting a retro kinda hotel but not so outdated... They need to seriously do an upgrade. Felt unsafe, only one fire exit in every floor. Was told that there's wifi, but you have to sign up and pay for it.Bottom line very poor customer service, not worth of the price we pay. The only upside that I could think of is the location.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Sorcor
Dear Sorcor,

I am very sorry for the poor stay that you had with us. I am honestly somewhat surprised that you had such a poor experience and I was hoping to get some more information from you. The team here really prides itself on delivering top quality service to all of our guests and I am sorry that we did not deliver for you.

Just some minor clarificaitons on some of the items that you mentioned, the property underwent a full rooms and public area renovation only 2 years ago, so the product is still fairly new. Also, we do in fact have 2 fire exits on each floor, one on either side of the elevator. Wireless internet is in fact complementary if you sign up for our Kimpton In Touch loyalty program, which also entitles you to $10 off of your mini bar charges among other perks.

That all being said, I am very sorry that you had such a poor experience and I would like to get some more details if you are willing, please send them directly to me at ryan.cimei@topazhotel.com.

Montreal
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2013

We got a great deal through Snique away and we took the queen/queen room. The location is excellent, the staff is outstanding!!! The service and the smiles are amazing, they really go out of the way to help you.
The hotel is charming and quirky, clean and quiet.
Great breakfast, great happy hour.
We will be back! Thank you guys!

Room Tip: The queen queen is nice and spacious
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
rcimei, General Manager at Kimpton Topaz Hotel, responded to this review, May 6, 2013
Dear Globetrotter25,

Thank you so much for the amazing review of your stay at the Topaz! I am so excited to hear how much you enjoyed your time with us and how well the staff the staff took care of you. We are lucky to have a great crew here.

I am excited to hear that you enjoyed the breakfast as well, we just rolled out that menu and I am happy to hear that its being well received.

We can't wait to have you back with us again next time.

dallas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2013 via mobile

I typically like Kimpton hotels for their funky atmospheres. This one is tucked on a quiet street in Washington DC. I chose a yoga room out of curiosity. The bedroom was huge and It literally had a little meditation corner along with yoga mat & blocks. Also was an exercise bike by the TV. I loved waking up, doing yoga stretches, then hopping on my own exercise bike for a spin while watching TV. Great way to start day while on a business trip! Staff there was friendly. Free coffee/tea is lobby in morning. I arrived too late for wine party. Only downside was I noticed mold in my toilet so housekeeping could have been improved. I will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed April 2013
Dear 2travelingscientists,

First off your screen name for Tripadvisor is probably the coolest one I have seen to date, love it! Secondly, thank you so much for the amazing review of your stay here at the Topaz. I am really happy to hear that you enjoyed your time so much and the yoga room worked out so well for you. Sounds like you are a morning person, up and working out and stretching bright and early. Good for you! I do apologize for the minor houskeeping issue, I will follow up with my team to make sure the details are being really look at.

We hope to have you back with us on your next visit. Maybe you can get motivated for a morning workout. Haha.

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2013

Booked on Jetsetter and got a good rate, $677 total for 3 nights. The location is perfect, the decor of the hotel unique and the staff great. We joined the Kimpton InTouch loyalty program beforehand, online for free. That entitled us to free wi-fi, which worked well and a $10 coupon for the mini bar, which we didn't use. I would return here without question.

Dear upgraded,

Thank you so much for your outstanding review of your stay at the Topaz! I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay so much. I am glad that you took advantage of the Kimpton In Touch program and found such a good value when booking your room.

We look forward to having you back with us.

Middlefield, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2013

Great experience. The staff was wonderful and helpful. Located on a quiet street not far from DuPont Circle and a short walk to the Metro Red line. The daily wine tasting provided a relaxing experience after a long day exploring DC

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
rcimei, General Manager at Kimpton Topaz Hotel, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Dear PLSC76,

Thank you for your outstanding review of your stay at the Topaz! I am so happy to hear that you had such a great time and the location worked out so well for you. I am also super excited that you got to enjoy the wine hour, it really is a great way to end a long and busy day.

We can't wait to have you back with us!