“Very Pleased”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Calgary, Canada
“Very Pleased”
Reviewed April 5, 2013

We'd booked this via a special deal on Sniqueaway and so weren't sure what to expect. We need not have worried because this was an excellent stay. The rooms were large, spotlessly clean and very comfortable. The staff were all unfailingly friendly, well-informed and helpful. The buffet breakfast was good value and the manager's free wine reception in the evenings was well supported with a good crowd in the bar in the evenings.

The location is also good. The hotel is reasonably central, but sited on a quiet street and we had no trouble sleeping because of noise.

This was everything a boutique hotel should be. The only drawback might be that the interior decoration of the rooms might not be to everyone's taste, but we found it refreshingly different and would happily stay there again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Peter_S_Hunt
rcimei, General Manager at Kimpton Topaz Hotel, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
Dear Peter_S_Hunt,

Thank you for the amazing review of your recent stay with us here at the Topaz. I am so glad that you found everything so much to your liking, including the design.

It is great to hear that you were able to take advantage of the breakfast and wine hour as well, you really soaked up the Kimpton experience.

We can't wait to have you back with us on your next visit to DC!

Ryan Cimei

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (212)
  • Korean first
Santa Monica, California
Reviewed April 4, 2013

What's a Fair Price? In the D.C. area, the price of a hotel room is so wildly variable that I had a tough time narrowing my choices. Turns out the Topaz is a great balance between pricey and a bargain. It's a Boutique in the sense that the decor, lobby, staff and general feel of the place is "unique" and service-oriented. As tourists, the location turned out to be great; close enough to walk or Metro to most anything we wanted to see, but outside the tourist area. It's about two blocks from Dupont Circle, which is a cool area that is only half-tourist. It's also at the edge of Embassy Row, so the neighborhood's good. Our room, a King, was just fine. Good ventilation, quiet (2nd floor front). The bath is spacious but could use some more counter space. We used room service a couple of times over four days and they were great; fast an friendly. The food itself was fine, nothing special. A good thing about the neighborhood is a great choice of restaurants from moderately fancy to unique carry-out. The perfect tourist set-up. No gym, but an arrangement with the YMCA a long block away, and that Y is really good, including a lap pool if you're into that. Gotta give the staff a shout-out. They were all friendly and helpful. If we go back to D.C., we'll definitely stay there again. Oh, parking - pricey, like $42/night, ouch!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank David J
Dear David J,

Thank you for the awesome and detailed review of your stay with us here at the Topaz. I am happy to hear that you found the price point to be competitive and you enjoyed your guest room and the service so much. I am happy to hear also that you enjoyed the local neighborhood so much as well.

We look forward to having you back with us on your next trip to DC.

Staten Island, NY
Reviewed April 3, 2013

I booked this hotel through Sniqueaway and could not be more impressed. The rate was exceptional but more than that the room, the service and the location were perfect. I was impressed with the overall size of the room, especially the vanity table and the leather "sofa" in its own little alcove. The wine hour in the lobby was a pleasant surprise as well. I was in town for a half marathon and I think what put this hotel over the top for me was the little brown snack bags hotel staff prepared for the morning of the race. Each bag contained a banana, a water and a granola bar. It probably cost the hotel next to nothing to provide but it was just so thoughtful. They even had maps of the race course. I greatly look forward to returning to the Topaz. My experience made me an instant fan of the Kimpton Hotel brand.

Room Tip: I had a corner room and it was huge. I'm not sure if all rooms are similarly sized so ask for a...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Michie1235,

Thank you for the outstanding review of your stay here at the Topaz. I am so happy to hear that you had such a great time and enjoyed the room and the team so much.

I am glad that you were able to take advantage of the little runners starter bags we put out. I hope it was a good healthy way to start your day before the race.

We hope to see you back next year for the marathon.

Astoria, New York
Reviewed April 2, 2013

So first of all...I booked this trip through snique away...which I highly recommend (the prices were less then hotel.com and expedia and it not only allowed me to book a weekend (groupon and living social deals are usually sun-thurs only), but EASTER WEEKEND)!!!! When we got there I was immediately impressed with relaxed vibe and friendly service. As we were checking in, they told us that if we played 3 rounds of Jenga sucessfully, we would get a card for 2 free drinks at their bar. I knew then that this was my kind of place! When we got to our room, I was floored. Since I had booked economy sites before (expedia, etc.) I was used to nice but not overly fancy nice. What we got here was a suite with a nice little siting area with couch and chair, a seperate, little office desk area, and a little vantiy / dressing area off the bathroom! Unfortunately we missed the wine hours each night, but that is a nice extra. Also they have a tea kettle with chamomile tea (a real cups). The only criticism was some confusion with housekeeping, one day we left before noon and took off our do not disturb (passed a housekeeper on way) ans our room was not serviced....(not a big deal to us...but guests lieving later may want to check with front desk to see if housekeeping can make up room) and then the next day housekeeping knocked despite dnd on door (no big whoop sincewe were up). Should note that housekeeping was helpful in getting me a new hairdryer right away when mine died) All and all great stay and location! Perfect for a romantic get away!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Jenczarnota,

Thank you for taking the time to post such a great review of your stay at the Topaz. I am really happy to hear that you had such a nice time and such and enjoyable getaway while you were here with us and that the team took such good care of you.

I do apologize for the confusion with the housekeeping service, although I am happy to hear that they made sure you received service and they helped out with the hairdryer.

We hope to see you again on your next getaway trip to DC.

WV
Reviewed April 2, 2013

I don't normally stay "off-campus" when I have a conference in DC, but my boss found the Topaz at a much better rate. I'm very happy she did! The rooms are large, comfy bed, and lots of windows for natural light. The staff was great-courteous and helpful. The bar/restaurant is small, but doesn't feel small! Very good food, from apps to dessert. Great service, too! I will definitely consider the Topaz my next trip to DC.

• Stayed March 2013
Dear WVMargarita,

Thank you for the outstanding review of your recent stay here at the Topaz. I am glad that you decided to head "off campus" and give us a shot and I am really glad to hear that it worked out so well and you had such a nice time.

We hope to have you back with us either for your next conference or for your next getaway trip to DC.

Burlington, Canada
Reviewed March 30, 2013

Like most Kimptons the staff was great. Location was also a bonus. You can tell that this is a renovated apartment building. Narrow hall ways and small public areas. Stayed with my two nephews who have become Kimpton fans. We were kind of disturbed to find a two week old container of mouldy potato salad in the in-room fridge. Not my favourite Kimpton, but good if you can get a good rate.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
rcimei, General Manager at Kimpton Topaz Hotel, responded to this review, April 5, 2013
Dear scollinson79,

Thank you so much for the great review of your recent stay at the Topaz. I am really happy to hear that you and your nephews had such a nice time with us. I am however extremely embarrased and sorry about the issue with the item in the minibar. Please accept my apology, I assure you that it was an isolated incident and not by any means a frequent occurence.

We hope to see you guys on your next trip here to DC.

Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed March 28, 2013

The front desk staff were friendly and inviting on a cold, rainy evening in DC. Without being prompted, they provided suggestions for dinner, directions, printed my boarding pass and made me feel incredibly special even though I was in town for just one night.

The rooms were spacious and clean, although regulating the room temperature was a challenge.

I've stayed in other Kimpton properties and would certainly put this one near the top.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Dear Phil R.

Thank you for the great review of your stay at the Topaz. I am really happy that the staff took such great care of you and you had such a nice time.

We hope to see you again on your next trip to DC.