We'd never stayed at a Kimpton hotel before, but they've looked nice, so we tried this one out in Washington, DC. Its about a $20 cab ride from Reagan airport and close enough to the Metro that we used it for the return trip to the airport.
We checked in around 6:45pm and were told we had a few minutes to get a free class of wine in the bar. This happened every night between 5-7, which was a nice amenity. The bar was quite busy on Saturday night although empty on Sunday night.
The lobby is very small and you have to walk up several steps to get to the elevators or bar area. We liked that the hotel was advertised as pet-friendly - although we didn't bring a pet.
The Topaz looks as if it was built in the 60s or 70s and has been remodeled in part to be high style and boutiquey. The room itself was very large with big windows overlooking N street. It was decorated in a very eclectic way with a comfortable large bed, a sofa, many unique unmatching lamps, a room outside the bathroom, a safe and a desk located in a side nook. The decor struck as a little unusual since nothing really matched, but it was kind of fun and ultimately it all worked together.
Thes are the things we really liked about the Topaz Hotel:
- The location: its a short few blocks to Dupont Circle with lots of restaurants and shops. We ate all of our meals in the area.
- The animal print bathrobes - they were warm and made us smile
- A fridge (minibar) that had room for us to keep our juice cold
- The size of the room - it was huge
- The staff: very friendly, willing to give us a late check-out until 1:30pm and printed our boarding passes
- Real glasses in the bathroom (not plastic) and wine glasses in the room
These were the things that could have been better:
- The bathroom: it attempted to be modern with a sink mounted on top of the cabinet, but the rest of the bathroom was small and either not updated or not remodeled well. The bathtub seemed to have an overlay placed on an original tub. We only noticed it because it was squishy (not solid) to stand on for a shower. The shampoo and soap were mounted in the shower. It was difficult to get in and out of the shower because the toilet was right next to it. In addition, the door to the bathroom appeared to be original and was pretty scuffed up.
- The hallway to the room: it was all in beige with some type of elaborate moldings on each door from some other era. It looked nothing like the rooms.
- Breakfast: We chose to eat in the bar for breakfast on our last day. We ordered eggs instead of the continental breakfast. It was less expensive, but took a long time and wasn't prepared as we had asked. Continental would have been a better choice.
Although the bathroom was a negative, the room and location were winners. We'd probably stay here again.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Sabre Hospitality Solutions, Hotels.com, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Priceline, Odigeo, HotelTravel.com, Travelocity and Jetsetter so you can book your Topaz, a Kimpton Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Kimpton Washington Dc
- Topaz Hotel Kimpton