WINNER WONDERLAND

Kimpton Topaz Hotel
Ranked #78 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
Vancouver, Canada
“Ambiance, style and comfort”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2012

I loved this hotel -- a real European feel in an American hotel, although my room was much bigger than what you usually get in Europe. This hotel is for people wanting ambiance, style, and comfort, not for those who need every bell and whistle in the bathroom. The location on a residential street within easy walking distance of a main shopping and transportation hub made it both quiet and convenient. The staff at reception and in the small lounge were great, making every effort to accommodate my needs. Room service offered organic options. The lamb kabob was terrific. As a single woman travelling on business, I felt very safe and comfortable sitting alone in the lounge.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
TopazHotelGM, General Manager at Kimpton Topaz Hotel, responded to this review, February 15, 2013
Hello bethujana,

Thanks for the great review! I'm glad you enjoyed our rooms, service, and location. That's the big 3 for us. So, it feels like we're doing very something right. Then making you, as a female business traveler, feel comfortable is a HUGE bonus!

We hope you come back soon.

Donte

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (201)
  • Korean first
Palm Beach Gardens, Florida, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2012

The staff is totally accommodating We'll Stay at the Topaz again on our next DC visit!
Very satisfied with the level of service. The unusual "L" shaped room layout proved extremely convenient,Good coffee from your coffee maker in our room.
Special thanks to Kelly and Stephanie who went out of their way to make us and our entire family feel welcome. Our grand daughters, ages 6 & 10 and their parents also stayed with you. The little girls loved playing with your hula hoops and having goldfish in their room.
Your other staff members, engineers and housekeepers were also a pleasure to deal with.

Room Tip: Rear rooms are quieter.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
TopazHotelGM, General Manager at Kimpton Topaz Hotel, responded to this review, January 16, 2013
Hello Ray,

Thanks for posting this awesome review! Kelly and Stefani do an amazing job. I'm glad your granddaughters had fun with the hula hoops. We love whipping out the hoops and goldfish for the little ones.

Thanks again for the recommendation.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2012

We were there for 3 nights while moving our daughter into university. The location was ideal for walking our dog while enjoying the architecture of the neighborhood. Lots of great restaurants close by and a nice stroll to the White House & monuments.
I have grown to love Kimpton Hotels for there extraordinary attention to detail and welcoming staff. Topaz did not disappoint.

• Stayed September 2012
Hi msmosser,

Thanks for taking a moment to post a review of your stay with us. It's great to read that you had a great time moving your daughter in at school and that you love our hotels.

Thanks again and come visit her/us soon!

San Francisco, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2012

It's on a lovely tree-lined, quiet, safe, residential street. I got a Kimpton flash sale rate, to attend a conference at the Mayflower, a 5 minute walk. The building used to be apartments and condos, so room layout is unique. The L-shaped room was huge, the purple couch a jazzy touch next to a retro white chair. Nice work area in the "L." Swiveling large flat screen tv, which I watched from the fabulous bed. Bed linens are pristine and high quality, and the pile of pillows offers every possible option, soft to very firm. Bedside tables with plenty of outlets for electronics. Electric kettle, mini-bar, safe.

The color scheme is soothing: pale blue and green patterned carpet, new and clean; pale blue green/cream abstractly striped wallpaper.

Bath is small with ultra-modern sink, tile floor, makeup mirror, and decent lighting. Water pressure was a bit muted (mandated flow controls), but the rainshower head was modern. I did not like the strong minty scent of the wall-mounted bath gel, as it was not compatible with my perfume. I used the unscented bar soap after the first shower. The towels are high quality, thick and thirsty.

The bonus is a large "dressing room" with a vanity and mirror, stool, and floor length mirror, where I spread out all my cosmetics, bags, etc. No light in that room, however (light comes from bath and hall).

Heavy drapes in the bedroom control the natural light that floods in through huge windows all across the front. The large mirror there provides the best light to apply makeup. No street noise on the 8th floor.

Building exterior is unassuming. Inside, a small lobby in front of the bar/dining room. Lots of cozy seating areas to enjoy the wine hour. I only made the wine hour my arrival night. The quality of the wine was good, and the young man pouring was gracious and welcoming.

The service overall was outstanding. A shout out for Kelley, who seems to be omniscient, anticipating guests' needs. More applause for the young gentleman and young lady who provided dinner advice the night I arrived, and for the friendly housekeeping staff.

The special rate probably influenced my review. If I had paid a lot more I might have looked for problems: the steps leading to the elevator, making it tricky to pull baggage to/from the elevator. However, Kelley is always on alert to make sure guests don't take on more than they should, and she is very petite. The halls and elevator are not fancy, but carpet is new and clean. Had to request a shower cap. Cotton swabs were not provided; fortunately I brought some. Tea bags were not replaced, but the restaurant offers complimentary coffee and tea every morning. The coffee was a bit weak for my taste; maybe it's a D.C. thing.

17th Street (thanks, Kelley) offers an array of dining options with a casual 'hood vibe.

The value here is in the terrific quiet but central location, huge rooms, the bonus room, and the Kimpton "touch."

3 Thank 1happytraveler12
Hi 1happytraveler12,

Thank you for this awesome review! Kelly is basically a service rock star. Our guests love her and she's a joy to work with. I'm really sorry about the tea and I've reviewed this with the good folks on our housekeeping team to ensure that we're paying closer attention moving forward. The coffee we serve is completely organic. I'm not a coffee drinker personally. But, I suspect that going au naturale likely results in a slight decrease in potency.

I'm glad to hear that your stay was an enjoyable one on the whole and we hope you come back soon.

Montreal, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2012

Very nice staff. The rooms were a 3 star at the most. missing amenities like pool.
a couple of things to improve: no shower pressure on 10th floor, no soap in my room on arrival.
comfy bed.
Not worth the value of $300 per night. Would reasonably pay $150.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
TopazHotelGM, General Manager at Kimpton Topaz Hotel, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Hello cpolides1,

Thanks for posting a review of Topaz. We appreciate your candid feedback about your stay with us. I apologize for the soap oversight and water pressure. I will review this with our team to be sure that we're showing each guest the Topaz love moving forward. Thanks again for bringing these items to our attention.

Long Beach, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2012

I visit D.C. every Fall and have wanted to stay in this Kimpton property for years. I've previouly stayed at another Kimpton, the closeby Hotel Rouge on 16th. The Topaz is very similar to the Rouge in amenities and service. I prefer the location of the Topaz due to its better access to the Metro and the YMCA gym, right around the corner. The room was quiet and comfortable and, in the best Kimpton tradition, displayed design flare and hospitable amenities. I will come here again.

Hi LightPro,

Thanks for posting this review! One of the great things about being in an area with so many Kimpton Hotels is having such a variety of comparable yet unique experiences to offer our guests. We'd love for you to come back to Topaz. But, we'll be almost just as happy if you give one of our buddies a try on your next trip to DC.

Thanks again for the review,

Durham
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2012

Overall, this is a good hotel to stay in Washington DC, and I would happily stay there again.

Positives:
Staff: fantastic! Very friendly, and more than go the extra mile. Stayed during Hurricane Sandy, and kept us well informed throughout, had suggestions for what to do, and bought board games and snacks to keep guests entertained.
Location: very convenient location in Dupont Circle neighbourhood, which has a range of attractions, nice shops, restaurants and bars. 5 mins walk from Metro stop.
Room: great! Spacious, well appointed room, comfortable bed, efficient air conditioning.
Perks: Free wi-fi, and a $10 mini bar credit, if you're a member of their loyalty program (Kimpton InTouch). Complimentary wine hour every day 5pm to 6pm.

Things that could be improved:
Bathroom: quite small, with a small bathtub. Plumbing felt a bit cheap.
Cleanliness: overall very clean, but some corners cut (e.g. difficult to clean corners etc seem to have been missed).
Dining options: no formal restaurant. Bar serves food, and quality is fine. Better however to go to one of the many restaurants in the neighbourhood.
However, these are all minor points and don't detract from the great experience.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank GeorgeNDurham
Hello GeorgeNDurham,

Thanks for the awesome review! I appreciate you taking a moment to share your experience. There's always a lot of anxiety when a big storm hits. So, it's great for us to have an opportunity to offer something more than 4 walls and a bed to our guests. I'm glad your enjoyed your stay and we'd love for you to stop in again sometime.