“D.C. favorite!”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Oceanside, California
“D.C. favorite!”
Reviewed September 7, 2012

I stayed at the Topaz Hotel in August 2012 for a business trip. This was the second time that I've stayed there and I was once again completely and utterly happy with my visit. The hotel staff is exceptionally cordial and very genuinely interested in meeting my needs throughout the stay. The actual physical appearance of the hotel is comfortable and quaint. Decor is very creative and lends itself to a hip atmosphere. I've recommended this hotel to many friends and look forward to a return trip.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
TopazHotelGM, General Manager at Kimpton Topaz Hotel, responded to this review, September 27, 2012
Hi Michelle C,

Thanks for the awesome review! I'm glad you were well taken care of and that you like the new decor. Visit again soon!

Thanks Again,

Donte

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (211)
  • Korean first
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed September 5, 2012

My family (dog included) and I really enjoyed this boutique hotel.

The staff was extremly curtious and attentive. From remembering my dog's name and our personal needs, they were on top of everything.

Room-
Was OK- the television was not the best, kind of blurry and the bathroom was small. However, everything was clean and up to my personal standards. Beds were nice.

Free Breakfast-
Free continental breakfast really was not good at all. The fruit tasted funky and limited choices (no eggs or waffles)

Free Happy hour wine and cheese-
A nice touch, everyone seemed to enjoy this more then the breakfast.

Internet-
Was free if you joined the loyalty program. Had strong signal all over the hotel.

Overall I shall return to the Topaz!

Room Tip: 4th floor I believe is for people traveling with their pets
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
TopazHotelGM, General Manager at Kimpton Topaz Hotel, responded to this review, September 7, 2012
Hi FeWenInRom,

Thanks for the great review! We love our four-legged guests almost as much as the two-legged ones. We're working on the HD upgrade. So the TV reception will be worked out very soon. It's great to hear that you're coming back. We look forward to it.

Thanks again.

Miami
Reviewed September 3, 2012

Just returned home to Miami from a 3 night Labor Day weekend stay at the Topaz. I have to say that it lives up to the Kimpton name and then some! The front desk staff was more than attentive at all times and always had a smile on their face. They helped with anything we needed and it happened quickly and efficiently. Kudos to them and a big kudos to Kellie at the bar who always helped us end our night with a laugh and a great drink. We'll be back for sure!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
TopazHotelGM, General Manager at Kimpton Topaz Hotel, responded to this review, September 4, 2012
Hi MiamiSun_10,

Repeat customers are our favorite kind! We're glad you had a great time with us. Ironically, I usually go to Miami for Labor Day weekend. But, I stuck around at home this year. Kellie has a great personality and I can't wait to share your review with her. Thanks for taking the time to post it.

Williamsburg, VA
Reviewed September 3, 2012

Booked a Queen/Queen room that was plenty of space for 4 people. Really nice room, only complaint about this hotel is the tiny lobby. Staff was superb. would have loved to try the lounge, but it was booked for a private party.

Stayed November 2011
Hi vamel,

Thanks for the Tripadvisor love. The lobby is indeed a little cozy. We like to think of the lounge as our "living room extended." We'll definitely have to make sure you have a chance to partake of some of the delicious food and drink on your next visit.

Thanks again,

Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed September 3, 2012

We stayed at the Topaz Hotel in Washington DC from Wednesday, August 15th to Monday, August 20th. Never have we been treated with as much courtesy, and cheerfulness. The people at the front desk were exceptional. They were very attentive yet unobtrusive – a fine balance that they performed naturally and artfully. When the front door magically opened to our comings and goings and we were personally greeted each morning and evening, we truly felt like welcomed guests. They were sincerely interested in our experience. When we asked for directions, we later found a print of a Google map slipped under our door. The service during morning coffee and hospitality hour could not have been better. Again, polite and attentive, but not obsequious. And the location and room were perfect. The lighting was in all the right places and the alcove was ideal for morning coffee and reading. The entire experience made it feel like home away from home. Having visited some 40 states and over 20 countries, we consider ourselves seasoned travelers. Never though, have we had a hotel stay as satisfying as this one.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Hello Toni S,

Thanks for posting a review here on Tripadvisor. We're delighted to be your oasis here in Washington, DC. I hope your travels bring you back this way soon!

We appreciate your business and your feedback.

New York City
Reviewed September 1, 2012

The Hotel is situated on a quiet street near Connecticut Avenue and is only a 10 minute walk to the Metro (Farragut North Station) and a 5 minute walk to Dupont Circle. (It was a 12 minute train ride from Union Station). The staff was reminiscent of Apple Store personnel: young, enthusiastic, eager to please, knowledgeable and professional – without exception all of the staff were true diplomats! It was a modern structure that seemed to lean towards a trendier customer base, although I did not feel out of place.

Before arriving I received a gracious e-mail from the manager who offered his assistance in anticipation of my arrival. I requested a quiet room away from the elevator. I was assigned to room 1003 – an upgrade from my booked room because I am a Kimpton In-Touch member - on the top floor and away from the elevator as I had requested! I was not aware of slamming doors or intrusive noise from the corridor.

It was immaculate and quite large with a dressing room, complete with desk and mirrors, that lead to the bathroom (which sported a useful shaving/make-up mirror). The spacious room was tastefully furnished with a king size bed and two wing chairs. There was also a comfortable sofa and a nook that held a large desk. It came with an iron/ironing board and WiFi that was quite fast.

While the room faced the street, there was no discernible street noise. However, it was a Southern exposure and, in 90 degree weather, the room was a bit too warm during the day, as the air conditioning could not compete with the solar heat, even with the curtains closed. This was a non-issue for me since I was out during most of the days, but I would recommend a northern exposure during warm weather for those who might use their room during day light hours.

It was surprising that such a modern structure was devoid of a health club. However, the hotel will arrange for complimentary entry to a local gym for their more disciplined guests. Topaz maintained the Kimpton tradition of providing a wine hour at 5:00PM with either red (cabernet) or white wine – unlimited amounts. Each morning coffee was provided in the lobby – gratis. During the day, carafes of cool beverages were also accessible in the lobby. Complimentary newspapers were provided. If you read the New York Times, it would be a good idea to have it delivered to your door as it seemed to be in high demand.

My only suggestions would be to a) increase the effectiveness of the air-conditioning, b) disable the arrival bell of the elevator, and c) provide a more effective fan inside the elevator cab.

Would I return to Hotel Topaz? Yes: without hesitation.

Room Tip: In warm weather choose a room with a Northern exposure as the air conditioning could not compete wit...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Richard0304
Hello Richard0304,

Thanks for the recommendation and for the feedback. It's great read that your visit was a pleasant one and it's noble of you to pass on such valuable info for future travelers. We'll discuss your suggestions and see what we can come up with.

Thanks again,

Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed September 1, 2012

Were I not moving back to DC soon I would want to keep this fantastic find all to myself! I'm only writing a review because I'll soon have my own permanent place and will not need a go-to DC hotel.

This was easily my favorite of the three Kimpton hotels I've stayed at in DC. Hidden away on a quiet street just off Dupont Circle, but just a few minutes' walk from plenty of restaurants and multiple metro stations.

Rooms are enormous for the older, downtown building, and as with all Kimpton hotels decorated stylishly with huge, comfortable beds but maintaining the historical feel. If you have stayed at other Kimpton hotels you will recognize the small touches like an iPod dock, yoga mats available on request, free bikes to borrow, and a hosted wine hour every evening in the lobby bar.

But what set this hotel apart, and I can't speak highly enough of it, was the service. I stayed at Topaz for just over a week, but even starting on Day 1 was greeted by name every time I walked in or out the front door or came to the front desk. When my key got demagnetized one day and it took a few attempts to fix it (requiring me to go up and down in the elevator to my room multiple times), the front desk didn't hesitate to give me a few free breakfast vouchers for the lobby breakfast as an apology for the hassle - and I hadn't even considered it more than a minor inconvenience, much less that I should be compensated for my effort (and I should note that when they realized I kept coming back myself to the front desk, I was chastized for not calling them on the house phone on my floor so that they could run the key up themselves). As a solo traveler, the bartender at the hosted wine hour was just the right balance of chatty but also leaving me to my blackberry/kindle. And when I returned home and completed an online survey sent by Kimpton after my stay, I received a lengthy personalized response from the front desk manager to a few of my comments.It's the type of service that you pay for at a 5* hotel, but here seems to be coming from just a general friendliness and happiness of the staff.

Minor downsides:
- elevators were slow and one of the two broke down for a few hours one day
- valet is exorbitantly expensive. Luckily I was for the most part able to use street parking as I was only parking evenings and early mornings. (Parking meters on the street are 7am-6pm - stock up on quarters.)
- no gym, although they'll point you towards a gym around the corner with a day rate available

Room Tip: Ask for one that's NOT immediately across from the elevator - although I never was bothered by i...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank annielou82
Hi annielou82,

Thanks for staying with us and posting this awesome review. We also appreciate you taking a moment to complete the email survey we sent you, as well. Don't let the fact that you're moving to town come between you and your hidden gem, go-to DC hotel. Sorry about the key card magnetic strip issue. It's great to read that we got that all resolved and that you were well taken care of throughout your stay. That's what we're all about. So, I love reading that our guests are feeling the love.

Thanks again for the review.