Kimpton Topaz Hotel
$101
$97
  • Restaurant
Hyatt Regency Washington on Capitol Hill(Washington DC)(Great Value!)
$212
$171
$207
  • Room Service
Capitol Hill Hotel(Washington DC)(Great Value!)
$195
$151
  • Breakfast included
Fairmont Washington, D.C. Georgetown(Washington DC)(Great Value!)
$410
$167
  • Restaurant
The Dupont Circle(Washington DC)(Great Value!)
$191
$179
  • Pool
Omni Shoreham Hotel(Washington DC)(Great Value!)
$309
  • Breakfast included
$173
$119
1,369 results
All reviewsdupont circlequiet streetwine hourdressing roomyoga matcomplimentary winemini barfront desk staffwhite houseconnecticut avecontinental breakfastroom was largesmall hotellocation is greatfew blockssitting areawater pressure
Reviewed September 12, 2011

I chose Topaz for a 3 night stay because I never stayed at a Kimpton hotel before and I heard positive things about this brand.

The hotel is located near Dupont Circle and is a low-rise building on a street that looks residential but have several houses that are boarded-up. If it wasn't for the other hotel next to the Topaz, I think the street would be deserted at night.

There aren’t many rooms per floor so there isn’t a long of a wait for the 2 elevators. The room I stayed in is clean, spacious and nicely decorated with large size furniture and decorative wallpaper. Everything seems well coordinated and put together. The flat-screen TV sits on top of a credenza which contains the mini bar and some drawers. The doors of the credenza does not open fully because the end of the bed kind of blocks it. The door to my room also did not lock properly so a gentle push from the outside would open it. I had to close it using a bit of force in order for the electronic door lock to activate. There are no security chains on the doors.

The bed is quite high from the ground so watching TV is comfortable. The linens are of excellent quality. The animal print bathrobes provided is more for people who loves to shop at Walmart but for professionals, they wouldn’t be caught dead in it.

This toiletries are in a dispenser located in the shower. I didn’t find the toiletries were of high quality even though they are from a British company. The dispenser could be environmentally sound but I am not sure if it is hygienic and sanitary. Instead of making the bathroom part of the room for private use, the dispenser gives a feeling of a public bathroom.

There is a complimentary evening wine reception but to me it seems a bit intimidating to participate as you might have to socialize with strangers since alcohol must be consumed at the restaurant\bar area. Unfortunately, Kimpton didn’t put much thought for non-drinkers.

Kimpton Hotels does tries to distinguish itself by enhancing guest experience with their Loyalty Program as it tries to cater to each guest’s preferences and provides some good benefits but you must give up some personal info. In all, I enjoyed my stay and would definitely stay at Kimpton brand hotels again.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
3  Thank copan28
TopazHotelGM, General Manager at Kimpton Topaz Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 13, 2011

Dear copan28,

Thank you for posting such a detailed review of Topaz here on Tripadvisor. I’m glad we were able to welcome you to the Kimpton family. I’m familiar with the room layout where the minibar lives at the foot of the bed and we’ll have a look at each of these rooms to ensure that there’s proper clearance for the doors and inspect the main doors of each one to ensure that they’re locking flawlessly. Like you, I love our beds. In fact, I have one at home so I certainly echo that endorsement.

Wine Hour is one of my favorite Kimpton Signature elements. However, I can understand how it’s not the desired scene for everyone. If you’d like to enjoy this benefit, but do so in the comfort of your room, we would quickly make that happen.

A quick note on the bulk dispensers: they significantly reduce the amount of waste associated with our bath amenity program. They are cleaned and replenished daily. We also keep the individual-use bottles on hand for guests who prefer not to use the dispensers (we understand that its not what folks are used to). And we certainly don’t aspire to achieve the “public restroom” look. Our aim is merely to make a difference with the support of our guests. I hope you’ll visit again soon and truly appreciate your feedback.

Reviewed September 12, 2011

We stayed in Dupont Circle because a friend recommended that area. The hotel is very clean and everyone was very nice to us. I loved how trendy and modern the hotel was and not to mention it was a huge room. Best of all there was free parking right across the street because after 6:30 on Saturday the meters are free.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 11, 2011

The facade is unassuming; the lobby small and unimpressive, the corridors clean and remodeled but look older. The room however was wonderful and the staff went out of their way to make me feel welcome. Not sure if the corner room was better than others but I sure would recommend it. The sleeping area is well spacious; there is a sofa and additional seating, and an office area. Kimpton "funky-stylish" but very comfortable and well laid out. I would highly recommend.

Room Tip: Corner room
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed September 10, 2011

Red and I checked into Topaz for a 3 night end of summer vacation. Just looking through their website is what got me hooked on the Kimpton brand five years ago - a quirky little boutique hotel with a focus on zen, tranquility, and self actualization. Seriously!
The staff are amazing - professional but not at all stuffy. I was challenged to a hula-hoop off by their general manager for an upgrade and even though I lost (due to a technical foul!), they still gave me an *amazing* room. I could probably fit three regular sized cookie cutter hotel's rooms in it. Everything was AMAZINGLY clean with attention to detail.
During wine hour the staff was friendly and engaging - helping us with dinner and brunch recommendations. This is quite on par with the Kimpton brand but leaps and bounds what you would find anywhere else considering the star rating and price.
Red and I felt like super celebrities in a little known boutique hotel around the corner from everything. Between two metro stops - the location was perfect.
I began to wonder how they do it all so well. But a look at their Facebook pages and a look into their job culture shows a company who values ALL their employees and treats each client (down to the littlest puppy) like the most important one they have. Clean, convenient, friendly, attention to detail, and a defined personality. I'll definitely be back.

• Stayed: September 2011
1  Thank ALRadz
TopazHotelGM, General Manager at Kimpton Topaz Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 21, 2011

Dear ALRadz,

Thank you for recommending Topaz to fellow travelers here on Tripadvisor. You were definitely the toughest competitor I’ve ever faced in the hoop-off, by far! Despite the fact that they immediately turned on me and began cheering for you at the start of the contest, I have a great time working with our team here and they really enjoy the work they do with our guests.
We had great fun helping you guys plan out your weekend and I have since checked out a couple of new places that I know you’re going to love! Keep in touch and we hope to see you again soon. Like any true champion, I’m happy to offer a rematch at any time :-) Thanks again for posting this fantastic review!

Reviewed September 8, 2011

I want to begin by stating that my experience at the Topaz was truly outstanding. I happen to check in during the "wine hour" and was immediately offered a glass once I was finished at the desk. I went up to my room which was nice a cool (it was 90F outside), then went out for a run. Upon my return an hour later, I was noticeably hot. After 'welcoming' me back to the hotel (which they always did very cheerfully), she offered me a cool towel - which was absolutely fantastic, and there was iced lemon water available. That evening I ate in the hotel restaurant. The food was delicious and the staff, again, was friendly and attentive. At the continental breakfast the next morning, there was plenty of food and coffee for everyone (including M&M's if you were so inclined). I even had a problem printing a document in the business office, and when I asked for help, one of the employees, who was about to leave work, asked how he could help, and printed the document for me. Overall, the attention to detail and genuine attitude everyone had was refreshing and appreciated. The hotel is in a great location near the business district and tourist attractions. I highly recommend it and will absolutely be staying there again.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank gcavage

Dear gcavage,

Thank you for posting your fantastic review of Topaz here on Tripadvisor! I hosted Wine Hour yesterday and always enjoy doing so. It’s a great time to get to know our guests and connect with them while thanking them for their support. I’m glad you enjoyed our breakfast service. We just recently added the M&Ms and, I have to be honest, I am so inclined (probably more so than I should be). I don’t think they’ve quite caught on for our guests as the nutritional breakfast cornerstone that they are for me. I’ve always known our team to be genuinely helpful and accommodating. And it’s really gratifying to read that in your review. I look forward to sharing your feedback with our team. Thanks again and please visit soon.