“Affordable perfection”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Denton, Texas
“Affordable perfection”
Reviewed April 30, 2011

You will find this gem of a hotel just off Dupont Circle on a quiet, tree lined street. The rooms are modern, funky, and spacious. The staff is eager to assist in any way. We really loved this hotel because it was affordable and close to so many things to do. Two blocks away is the Dupont Circle metro station if you want to head out and see other sights in an around DC. There are a number of great restaurants also within a few blocks of the hotel. We loved that at the end of a long day we could return to a glass of wine in the lobby and the feeling we were at home. This hotel chain is fantastic too. There are perks for being a member.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
TopazHotelGM, General Manager at Kimpton Topaz Hotel, responded to this review, May 5, 2011
Dear heatheraustex,

Thank you for recommending Topaz to other travelers here on Tripadvisor. I’m happy to read that you were happy with your choice and that you found our location convenient to all the great attractions here in Dupont Circle and Washington, DC. Our team works hard to ensure that each guest that passes through our doors has a great experience. There’s nothing more gratifying for us than to hear that those efforts were noticed and appreciated. We place a strong emphasis on being competitively priced and providing a great value, as well. We don’t typically ask for much (if anything) more than other nearby hotels. However, with only 99 rooms, we try to create a uniquely personal experience. We hope to see you soon.

Donte Johnson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (213)
  • Korean first
Winter Garden, Florida
Reviewed April 29, 2011

I recently stayed at the Topaz for my first ever trip to DC. I did a lot of research and read reviews on TA, and i couldn't have been happier with my stay!
I will start with the rates. Please make sure to check out their website as they offer specials that are not seen on other travel sites.
The location is great! there are many little restaurants around and the metro is very close!
The parking as with any big city can add up-but the good thing is your car will be safe in their lot.
We were greeted by friendly staff and check-in was a breeze. We did get the offer for free wifi when you sign up on their site. This also gave us $10 free mini bar items:)
The room was very spacious. I personally liked the decor and wall art. We also enjoyed the fact that they have animal print robes. very fun!
One of my other favourite things was the fact that they offered yoga mats and a channel that plays yoga all of the time! we totally took advantage of it:)
The only issue we had was trying to find places to eat on a sunday night open past 11pm. We stayed out sight seeing and were starving. The front desk offered a take-out menu but it would take an hour to deliver:(
I am definitely looking forward to my next stay at this great chain!!

Dear raisinette,

Thank you for the great review of our hotel here on Tripadvisor. It’s always exciting to welcome someone to our Nation’s Capital and even more so when it’s their first time staying at a Kimpton. You gave some great insight about our location and the special offers featured on our website. I’m sure other travelers will find this information extremely helpful. As a VERY amateur yoga enthusiast, I always welcome the opportunity (to try) to follow along with the yoga channel whenever I’m staying at a Kimpton Hotel. I’d also been “raiding the minibar” for snacks for years, so that benefit was a welcomed addition to the Kimpton InTouch Program. We’d love to have you come back for a visit on your next trip to Washington, DC.

Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed April 28, 2011

I have had pleasant experiences at Kimpton boutique hotels and the Topaz is no exception. Service was great! We asked to move to a room with a view of N Street the second day we were there and the friendly front desk staff gladly accommodated our request and upgraded us to a beautiful, comfortable, spacious king room at no charge. They even moved our luggage for us so we didn't have to stop sightseeing to go back to the hotel to move rooms. Loved the new, comfy sofa. Appreciated the free internet for Kimpton In Touch members. Great location near DuPont Circle and walkable to most everything.

Dear Rascaleon,

It’s great of you to carve out time share your experience with fellow travelers on Tripadvisor. I’m glad to hear that you’ve come to expect great service from Kimpton Hotels and that Topaz upheld that expectation. We know how tough it can be to squeeze all the sights into one visit. Moving the luggage is the least we can do, especially if it means you get to take a few more of the great attractions Washington, DC has to offer. Thank you for posting a review.

Fair Haven, New Jersey
Reviewed April 26, 2011

This is the second Kimpton hotel we stayed in DC, both near the Dupont Circle area.
We came to check out colleges. The hotel will exceed your belief for the price we got for 2 queens. It is a non smoking hotel, pet friendly and staffed by a great group of people that take time to make sure you have everything you need, know exactly where you need to go and offer any advice you need. nearby metro stops made going to the museums and monuments very easy. Tucked away on a quiet street makes this a jewel of a find.

Room Tip: Call and get the best rate
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Dear pccorbett,

Thank you for taking a moment to recommend Topaz to fellow travelers on Tripavisor.com. Nothing makes our day like reading great comments about our team from guests like you! I think “tucked away on a quiet street” near Dupont Circle is the perfect way to describe the unique charm of our neighborhood. Best of luck with the college search gauntlet.

Donte
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed April 26, 2011

We stayed at the Hotel Topaz for four nights April 20 - 24th and had a great time. The location was convenient to the Metro which was just what we wanted. Take the Metro to the Dupont Circle stop and leave the station using the 'Dupont Circle - South' exit. Then you walk straight ahead to 'N' Street and take a left and follow for a couple blocks until you see the blue awning. The hotel is located in a nice area - lots of beautiful row houses.

The rooms were recently remodeled - they were adding new chairs when we were checking in. Our room was quiet and comfortable. The staff was very friendly and helpful. I was very happy with our stay.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
TopazHotelGM, General Manager at Kimpton Topaz Hotel, responded to this review, May 4, 2011
Dear MA_Vacationer,

Thank you for posting a Tripadvisor review of Topaz, A Kimpton Hotel. We appreciate your kind words about our team and the Dupont Circle neighborhood. I’m happy to report that we have all of the chairs in and the newly remodeled design looks fantastic!

Gainesville, Florida
Reviewed April 22, 2011

My husband and I stayed at Topaz while in DC for a Bon Jovi concert. We chose Topaz based on the Kimpton reputation and the price (found a great deal for $99 online!) Upon arrival, we were valet parked, and quickly checked in to an extremely clean room with a modern, exotic vibe. So close to the action, yet, we heard no street noise all night. Cute lounge downstairs with fairly tasty apps, but the drinks weren't the greatest. Hotel staff were very friendly and accommodating. Would definitely stay here again. Breakfast on the house, and Starbucks on the corner were plusses as well :)

Room Tip: rooms right off of elevator will be somewhat noisy
  • Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
TopazHotelGM, General Manager at Kimpton Topaz Hotel, responded to this review, April 25, 2011
Dear Smallie81,

“I Thank You” for taking a moment to post your review of Topaz on Tripadvisor and “I am““Happy Now” that I’ve read it and get to share this love with our team. “I Believe” our guests have come to view a uniquely personal experience as synonymous with the Kimpton name and rightfully so. I’m glad you found the location convenient to local attractions yet also quiet enough for you to enjoy a “Silent Night” in your room when you returned. I have shared your feedback with the bartenders and I know we’ll be making some exciting additions to our Zodiac Cocktail list as we get into the “Summertime.” Additionally, Wine Hour is an option “Everyday” and we'd love for you and the hubby to join us in our living room from 5-6p. We don’t “Always” feature “Bitter Wines” as a part of our Wines That Care program. But, if that’s your preference, we’ll certainly find something you will enjoy. We “Never Say Goodbye” to our guests. We simply say “I’ll be there for you” when you “Come Back” to stay with us again. If you had anywhere near as much fun listening to these songs as I’ve had trying figure out how to work them into this note it must’ve been “One Wild Night.” 13 Albums is A LOT. I bet the show was fantastic! Hope to see you again soon.

Colorado
Reviewed April 17, 2011

I just got home from my stay at the Topaz on N Street. First, a little bit about the location - it is a 5 minute walk from the Dupont Circle Metro - 15 minutes to the White House and 20 to the Mall - all walking. Washington is fabulous walking city so I prefer to walk when I can. The street itself is nice and quiet - not a lot of traffic, yet only a block from Constitution Ave, which has tons of stores and restaurants. The beds were very comfy, and the rooms had been recently renovated, the bathroom and bedroom were very clean. One thing I love about Kimpton is that if you sign up for their InTouch program, you get free internet in the room, which I think is a huge bonus as you look up information about museums, etc. It's not that other hotels in DC charge huge amounts for internet, usually around $11.95 per day, but it annoying to have to pay that, especially when DC room rates tend to be high. Kimpton also offers free coffee and tea in the lobby in the morning and a free wine tasting in the evening. The staff are suburb. They are always very helpful in answering your questions and get you anything you request - right away. There was a pedometer contest going on and the employees were encouraging guests to use the pedometer each day - the payoff is that you could win prizes. I spent some time talking with one of the employees (Dante) while I was enjoying my wine, he was very nice and explained that Kimpton supports Earth Day - they were turning off the lights for two hours each night in an effort to be more energy efficient. Bottom line - Kimpton staff are very friendly and it feels like you are visiting friends rather than just staying at a sterile brand name hotel. Oh, and love the animal print bathrobes - very plush!

• Stayed April 2011
TopazHotelGM, General Manager at Kimpton Topaz Hotel, responded to this review, April 19, 2011
Dear 4Travellers_7,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us and fellow travelers on Tripadvisor. I’m glad you found our proximity to Dupont Circle convenient and our staff welcoming and friendly. I truly look forward to our daily evening Wine Hour and, as a Regional Champion in the Kimpton Earthcare Program, I’m always excited to share our sustainability initiatives with our guests. The complimentary wifi and Raid the Minibar program are certainly among the most popular benefits of our Kimpton InTouch program. We look forward to your next visit. Your friends at Topaz will be here waiting to welcome you back.