“Terrific Location”

Kimpton Topaz Hotel
Ranked #79 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed October 9, 2007

I travel on business to Washington DC several times a month, but had previously overlooked the Topaz as a lodging choice. I won't make that mistake again. It is a charming, small, boutique-type hotel located on a relatively quiet Dupont Circle street. For me the proximity to the Dupont Circle Metro stop - and the easy accessibility to many exceptional restaurants - are real bonuses. Although there is no fitness center on site, the hotel has arranged for its guests to use the extraordinary multistory downtown YMCA (with a huge indoor pool) located just around the corner from the hotel for a nominal charge. Inquire at the hotel desk. I would caution guests to be aware that the hotel allows pets. Although it appears that certain rooms are designated for regular pet usage, I found that I had been initially placed into one of the "pet friendly" rooms. After complaining about the smell, I was immediately relocated to another room with no complaints or other charges. The staff couldn't have been nicer about it. I certainly plan to stay at the Topaz again.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled on business
1  Thank TexTraveler1

Reviewed September 25, 2007

This hotel is in a great location just steps away from Dupont Circe metro. The check in staff were helpful and the rooms were massive. we has a twin room and this came with two very comfy double beds with great covers. The colour scheme is bright but not too over the top. The bathroom is small in comparison to the rest of the room but the shampoo is Aveda so I guess that can be forgiven!!

The room come with their own CD player and TV but to be honest I never had these on as there is so much to do in Washington I was never in the room long enough.

I loved Washington as a city and the staying in the Topaz only added to that

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled with friends
1  Thank trav!!ler30
Reviewed September 20, 2007

I stayed at roughly a dozen hotels in the DC area over the last two months due to business commitments. I limited my selections to 3 and 4 star hotels. Out of the dozen I would rate this hotel in the top five based primarily on the quality of the room. The room was perfect in both size and decor. A secondary reason is the location because it was near many attractions.

The only issue I had was with room service. Before going up to my room, I previewed a menu in the bar and saw a hamburger for $11.00 on the menu. When I got to my room I called room service and asked for that hamburger. The bill came to over $22.00. I was charged $14.00 instead of $11.00 "because it was room service". I was charged an additional $2.50 fee "because it was room service". On top of this I was automatically charged a 20% gratuity "because it was room service". When I complained I was told that "some hotels charge $5.00 for a bottle of water". When I said, "yeah but they put $5.00 on the menu so a customer can decide up front if they want to pay it before they order it and that's not the same as putting $11.00 on the menu and charging $23.00". My complaint fell on deaf ears with the front desk and the hotel manager. They acted like they couldn't understand what I was complaining about. However, when I subsequently called the 800 number for the Kimpton chain, they agreed with me that what was done was deceptive and they made the hotel knock $10.00 off the bill. The $10.00 isn't the issue, its the way they did it. Nice hotel but be careful.

Also, during my stay we took a walk through the neighborhood and noticed some undesirables bothering folks who parked on the street near the front of the hotel. They would direct the drivers to a vacant spot that the drivers would have seen anyhow, then once the drivers exited their cars, the drivers were prompted for a "tip" for the "help" that was provided to them in helping the drivers "find" a parking spot. Hotel staff watched while this was going on and apparently did nothing as it was going on when we left and still was going on when we returned over an hour later. I guess the hotel figures it will prompt more people to pay the hotel for valet parking (over $20.00 a night) rather than parking on the street for free.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled solo
2  Thank cpabob
Reviewed September 13, 2007

We chose the Topaz after reading reviews on Trip Advisor. We arrived very late on a Sunday night and asked for a quiet room (following some of the comments we had read about lift noise). The room was very quite at night, although you do get the expected city noises fairly early in a morning. The room was very spacious (by British standards) and lovely and clean, but I agree with other reviews that the bathrooms are a little short of space. There was no view (we overlooked the hotels parking lot), but this didn't diminish the quality of the stay at all. The hotel staff were all pleasant and helpful - great recommendations for restaurants were provided (California Pizza House and the DuPont Grill in the Jury's Inn).
We didn't eat in the hotel, but the bar was reasonably priced (for a hotel). The decor of the hotel is a bit quirky, but very comfortable all the same (it reminded me of the film 'Beetleguese' for some reason...).
The hotel is a short walk from DuPont circle, but is also only 15-20 minutes walk to the Whitehouse / Mall area. It is slightly off the main areas and down a quiet street, but we didn't feel unsafe at all.
We will definitely use the Topaz when we go to Washington again!

Stayed: August 2007
Reviewed September 11, 2007

The hotel is in a great location close to many restaurants and shops. The staff is great. the room was a lot more than I expected. It was big, with a nice king bed, desk coffee table two chairs and a safe. The bathroom had Aveda products which were a really nice touch. Oh the room also had a vanity table with a big mirror and automan to sit and do your make up. I loved the room and the service. From now on when I travel I will look for Kimpton hotels.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 27, 2007

We got a special internet rate of $104 per day for a long weekend stay. We love the hotel, the location, and the staff. Our room is very big with king size bed, sitting area and working desk. I wish they could add more storage for clothing and toiletries. For 2 people, the space is not enough. However, that was a minor flaw comparing to other good features. We will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 27, 2007

The hotel had a special rate on the internet for $156, and that got us a nice, clean cozy room. Very nice firm mattress, free internet connection (though the hotel next door actually had a stronger signal), bathrobes, etc. The bathroom was very small and looked a little dilapidated., but that was the only slightly negative thing about the room. It's located on a quiet street within easy walking distance to a number of restaurants and two metro stops.

The manager kindly let us check in early, and remembered our names throughout the stay. We asked for a razor to be brought up (having forgotten that we can take them through airport security now). After about 25 minutes, they brought up a small pack of cheap, single blade razors that drew blood. We ended up buying a better quality.

The bar downstairs seemed quite lively, though we did not go there. The restaurant at the Tabard Inn right next door is excellent, though. Reason enough to stay at the cheaper Topaz.

Overall, a great experience, and would definitely return.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple