“Good value, Best location!”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Windsor Inn

Windsor Inn
Ranked #126 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
the Peninsula, California
“Good value, Best location!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2013

We enjoyed our first trip to DC, this Inn's location is 5 star. Don't expect a luxurious b&b, more like discovering a fun, funky, previously cherished find in a consignment shop. The employees we're friendly. I can't understand the angry, negative reviews. The "African guy", Moussa, was only kind, helpful and charming with us. (But, we didn't arrive with attitude) Dosn't everyone print out travel things?
Breakfast choices, Cheerios, toast, pastry, bagel, cream cheese, butter and jam, tea, tasty OJ and decent coffee. A breakfast room bonus, on a couple mornings we had opportunity to chat with other guests from all around the world. Whole Foods is nearby, so pick up some fruit to supplement all that yummy bread. We walked most everywhere, the area is full of young professional people, also walking. We never felt unsafe.
Would stay here again.
Can't speak to the basement room. Sounds dreary...

Room Tip: For people with pet allergies, kitty cat is on site.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
McAllen, Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2013

The hotel and staff in this place is horrible. I booked my room with two beds with Hotels.com and have never had a problem anywhere but here. When I arrived, the front desk guy, an African guy, looked shady right form the start. He said that I had no reservations made under my name and he made me wait until they called them from Hotels.com after I called them to find out what was going on. After clearing that up, he said rudely how lucky I was and this and that. He then gave me the key to the room and it only had one bed. I went back up to demand a room with the two beds like I had reserved and he wanted me to pay him $20 for THE FAVOR. This time I got angry and demanded the room right away. I finally got it after hearing so much nonsense from this guy. When I checked out, I checked my checking balance and saw that this same African guy had charged an extra night. I called him several times and when he recognized me, he just dodged the whole thing and said that he was busy and hung up.
If you go to this place, be careful if you run into a middle aged African man with a French accent. The guy is a scam and should be fired for making the hotel look so bad and trying to rip off customers.

Room Tip: Avoid the African front desk guy
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Rafa56255

Travelers are raving about these Washington DC hotels

Washington D.c.
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2013

Hotel was shabby b&b, bed was awful, furniture worn, sink in bedroom, shower& wc separate, security to room just a key.
I was given room off lobby. Left for a few hours and decided it didn't feel safe. Checked out after 2 hours.
Desk clerk offered other room but I declined.

I checked in but left the room and booked a room in another hotel for less money.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

2 Thank Andrea O
Orlando, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2013

Rude Put us in a basement room after settled in bed a man knocked on door I opened man pushed open the door and demanded we leave said we had no booking of course we did He make us 3 women get dressed in front of him Then kicked us out My husband said I should have called 911 but upset not thinking

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank whiteelephantfl
Morrisville, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

What a lovely hotel!

Located a few blocks off Dupont Circle, this is a perfect place to stay. It's got a B&B type of amibance - quiet, friendly, and very, very affordable. Lots of brick, wood; it's got a quiet elegance that's refreshing in a world of plastic and glitz. Great Wifi! I'll definately return!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Takoma Park, MD
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2013

I work in DC and can always count on Windsor Inn to come through for me when a significant weather/political event is happening in Washington, DC. Always friendly, rooms shining clean, front desk and anyone else that I see very friendly and helpful. I can't wait to see my cat friend, Mimi, when I get there who knows her boundaries and is very friendly to everyone who wishes they were home, but need to stay in a hotel that feels like home. Extremely accommodating for the location, price and a little get away from the drive home.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank DonnaVerest
Hbg PA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2013

Craziest bad service I've ever received in all my years of travels throughout the world. I rarely post an uncomplimentary review....This one is necessary and well deserved after absolutely NO consideration of a return of two emails and three voice mails re. stay.

Check-in was fine....Gentleman was kind; room was clean for the price; bed was decent.

Next morning of two night stay finds breakfast room totally a mess...dirty dishes falling out of bin directly beside the food....cute cat roaming premises....but 'masses' of cat hair on the main dining room table....nicely asked if decaf was available, and was simply told, "We don't have it" (not a biggie...but played-in to the awful service).

Come back early evening to change for dinner and find the 'Service Please' sign still on door....No housekeeping service whatsoever~ Called downstairs...No answer....Walked downstairs to front desk to find employee sitting there playing with his cell phone. Kindly informed him of no housekeeping service....No apology whatsoever...I had to ask for towels...followed him down the hallway to a closet...got towels but no washcloths in sight; said 'thank you' - and proceeded back to room while he played with his phone.

Later that night after coming back from dinner, I asked a separate front desk staffer for my room key (you check them in and out of front desk); guy reached for it; hands it to me; and literally 'Grunts' at me. Again, kindly said, "Thank You," and proceeded to room.

Morning of check-out....same mess in dining room, only lots more cat hair this time; three housekeepers came in and made selves breakfast while socializing with each other - and while guests were waiting for them to move to get their own breakfast (note...this would be the SAME staff who didn't touch the room).

Checked out at front desk; same dude from evening before who was playing with his phone - again there doing the same thing; looked up at me; and 'muttered,' "Put your key in the basket." NO niceties from him; questions re. stay; apology; etc. NOTHING~~~

I called two days later and was given the name of the GM who manages all four properties ('Allen'), including The Baron Hotel, and have called to leave messages three times and sent email twice (couldn't have been nicer with the note, btw)....NOTHING nearly two weeks later.

Need I say more?