“Old-worldly charm on a budget”
Review of The Embassy Inn

The Embassy Inn
Ranked #130 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
New York City, New York
“Old-worldly charm on a budget”
Reviewed October 8, 2013

We enjoyed our stay at Embassy Inn, even having come from a conference at the Willard. All the staff were lovely, and facilities were adequate for our needs. Best of all, the hotel is in an old row house with a rose garden in front. The interior is from the 20's, making for a cozy stay. Just a block away are an array of popular restaurants; and transportation is nearby. The breakfast is barely adequate, but we stopped at Safeway, one block away, for fruit and supplies. If you're coming to DC on a budget, I would recommend this meticulously clean and comfy inn.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank jvanscha1

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Palo Alto, California
Reviewed October 2, 2013

I would recommend this hotel. They were very nice to me. I extended my stay and they gave me a good rate. I had a quiet room. The bathroom was clean and up to date.
It is in a good location. You can walk to a lot of restaurants and shops in Dupont Circle.

Room Tip: We were in 401, a good size room and quiet.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed September 17, 2013

The receptionist on duty when we arrived was most unhelpful and disgusting. He Made us watt for 30 minutes when the Room was ready when we arrived just because check in was half an hour later. But this was not all. Today we discovered he had charged us $ 164 on our credit card as if the room hadn't been payed beforehand. We phoned The hotel and they told us they would refund The money charged, which was charged by The red haired receptionist who checked us in. The most AWFUL person I've come across in my life

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank Terecurb

Travelers are raving about these Washington DC hotels

Reviewed September 12, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for 4 nights in early September. We got the Vamoose bus to Bethesda, and used the metro to get into DC so having the Dupont Circle subway station near to this hotel was definitely useful.

A lady called Dolores checked us in and she was brilliant. Really friendly and welcoming, answered any questions we had and provided us with maps of the area and nearby restaurants/takeaways.

The rooms were an okay size, not loads of room to have your bags out and walk around, but big enough. The bathroom was really nice, with toiletries provided and the room, bedding and all towels were really clean. We had a room away from the elevator so we had no issues with noise.

The white house is down one road, about a half an hour walk but easy to get to. There is a safeway two minutes away which is really convenient as you have full use of a communal microwave.

The only negatives are that the doorbell is quite loud, and annoying. Doesn't really seem to be in use for any specific reason. And it would have been nice to have a fridge, as it was so hot when we visited.

All in all, I would stay there again. Good price, good location and really nice staff.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank lauraherbie
Reviewed September 10, 2013

The name suggests something distinguished. Indeed, so does the exterior. But the room (sorry, I mean damp basement) I stayed in was distinguished only by its awfulness. Maybe I could have put up with the smell of mildew if the room weren't scattered with dead insects too. Breakfast is served in a tiny (basement) room, so that guests have to spill out onto a few tables and chairs in the narrow corridor. Not a nice experience, even on a budget.

Room Tip: Maybe the ground floor rooms are better.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Shepleygreen
Reviewed September 4, 2013 via mobile

The rack rates for this property are steep: breakfast room is tiny and guests are asked not to use the ice machines provided! Hotel is clean and within a quiet, safe residential area. Straight walk to the White House, which we did several times, as long as you don't mind a 15-20 minute walk.

• Stayed August 2013
Riverdale, Illinois
Reviewed August 21, 2013

Reservations were made for two double bed rooms. When we arrived we were told this was not what was confirmed and it was our error. I could get another room at cost to me, if it is available in the morning.I decided no on that option, why should I pay it was not my error. To and insult to injury, I was put in a room next to the laundry room and a constant sound of a motor, compressor running 24hrs.. The help are in the laundry room talking, early in the am, as if no one else is on the floor.I woke up to washers and dryers going at 7am. The room should not be occupied. I was not able to sleep at the head of the bed due to a 600 watt light shining through the window. I drove 12hrs, had reservations for 5 days. I will never book at either of this companies locations. No cable in the room.

Room Tip: Do not occupy room 106. Check your condition of the rooms before you book them. If you care!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family